“Beautiful property”

Las Verandas Hotel & Villas
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in French Harbour
Reviewed 25 June 2014

If you are looking for a quiet getaway on Roatan, look no further. Las Verandas is about 30 minutes from West End and nestled down in Pristine Bay, a beautiful development (currently under construction). Our villa was large, clean and very quiet with it's own private plunge pool. To the review that is titled "Huge Potential"...we did not have that experience at all. The restaurant staff and service was prompt and food was good (particularly the ceviche).

The property is pristine and beautiful, but it's truly the staff that makes Las Verandas magical. Incredibly friendly and helpful, we were very well taken care of. They made sure that our holiday on Roatan was exactly what we wanted and I can't thank them enough.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank birdget2

Reviewed 22 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel from April 19 – April 26. The hotel is replete with aesthetic features befitting a 5-star resort. Its blend of Mayan and modern architecture along with its infinity pools and lush geographic setting make Las Verandas a visually stunning property. The villa that we occupied was just as impressive as the hotel itself. The timeless beauty of the rich, abundant wooden furnishings and the minimalist design of the villa will impress most discriminating guests. The interior decorator and the architect deserve recognition for their creativity and fine work.

Although the hotel has “5-star” looks, it is not a true luxury property as it falls short on service and quality. The staff members, while quite friendly and very eager to provide service, lack proper training and management. The service was extremely slow.

Our first dinner at Las Pergolas (the main restaurant) was marked with laughably inept and snail-like service. We had no utensils on the table; our appetizers were served with our main entrees (both of which were cold). Our appetizers were taken from our table without being asked if we were finished (we were not). I asked for eating utensils for my wife and myself but the waiter only brought them for my wife. The waiter apologized for the slow service due the presence of other guests being served; we looked around only to see one other table with a party of 4 already finished with dinner! If they couldn’t handle serving a total of 6 guests dining in their restaurant then they surely have training and management issues which need to be resolved.

We had dinner at this restaurant once more and all but one breakfast during our stay; all were riddled with either service and or poor quality difficulties. There were just too many to mention here. Simply put, they are in dire need of a restaurant manager who will train their staff so that their service will be elevated to the level of the fine dining ambiance of this restaurant.

There was absolutely no variety in the menu offering. The breakfast, lunch and dinner menus remained unchanged throughout our stay - no specials whatsoever. The food items that we had were either too salty or bland. It’s a shame because we feel that the chef is talented. The sauces and spices that she has put together with the Caribbean fusion fare would be a huge success if she employed quality control measures on the cooking line. In fairness, the Ceviche and the Hummus and Guacamole dips were outstanding consistently. The grilled Chicken salad can be very good if its quality was constant. Unfortunately, there were times when it was prepared with too much salt. The same is true for the grilled Lobster dish.

The private beach looks gorgeous from afar, however, upon close inspection, will disappoint you. Upon entering the water, you will encounter small rocks for a few feet. After that, the seabed will turn sandy but littered with patches of seaweed. Don’t forget to wear insect repellant to ward off the notorious and nasty sand flies of Roatan. They are all over the beach and pool areas. I do not hold my critique of the beach and the sand flies against the hotel. There's not much they can do about these things.

In summary, the hotel management needs to address its service and food quality shortfalls immediately. After a year of its opening, the aforementioned issues should no longer persist, especially if it continues to bill itself as a luxury hotel. The hotel has the potential of being the premier destination in Roatan. Its beauty is unmatched by any other hotel on the island. Its staff members are very pleasant and always eager to help and serve. Its management just needs to provide them with the proper skills and training.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank TIKI-NJ
Keila T, General Manager at Las Verandas Hotel & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Tiki-NJ

Thanks for choosing Las Verandas Hotel & Villas at Pristine Bay on the island of Roatan as your holiday destination. We very much appreciate your kind words about the design, ambiance and the potential of our beautiful property.

We also appreciate your constructive criticism of certain aspects of your stay. As hospitality professionals, your feedback is invaluable to us.

We apologize for the less-than-satisfactory level of dining service you experienced, and understand just how important this is to the total experience offered by a resort of our caliber. We offer no excuses for the shortcomings reported, rather an assurance that we are listening.

We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed a number of dishes and your acknowledgment of our talented chef and regret that some of the other dishes you sampled were not to your liking.

One of the realities of a beach in such proximity to the reef and in a location such as ours is just as you describe. As you note, sand flies can be problematical at certain times of the year, even with the control measures in place on our property.

Please be assured that no effort will be spared to provide future guests - and hopefully yourselves – with service and cuisine that are in keeping with the spirit of Las Verandas.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and six friends enjoyed the beauty, privacy, food and service at Las Verandas. The views from the infinity pool area are spectacular. The staff did everything they could to make our stay as interesting yet private as possible. The architecture, furnishings and colors of the villas accented the terrain of Pristine Bay. This is a true frontier and we loved finding this new paradise.

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty much the same, depending on your preference. We loved the view from our second...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HarlowKozmo
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at Las Verandas! (4/22-4/26) The staff was super friendly and knowledgable. We enjoyed our time talking to each and everyone there! (Special shout out to Albert, Laura and Carlos for taking great care of us!) The villa we stayed in was perfect- we had a plunge pool and were situated just steps down to the beach. The view was to die for. The restaurants there were very good- for breakfast, lunch and dinner! We enjoyed all of our meals! Room service and house keeping was perfect. The grounds are well taken care of. The flowers boast many hummingbirds and butterflies. We also spotted woodpeckers, an iguana, geckos, lizards who were standing on two legs running (haha) and a wild "rabbit." Oh and I swear we saw a green parrot or two! We adventured out on the kayaks, snorkeled and just plain relaxed. It was a very good time! Anytime we needed dinner reservations, we were well taken care of. The resort has transportation to and from anywhere you would like to go (for a reasonable price)- well worth it for the comfort and good conversation w your driver:)
We left the resort for two meals- we loved both. We went to Gio's (for amazing king crab and lobster) and Cal's (order the jerk chicken!). The ride was about 10 minutes and both have a great view!
Roatan is a beautiful island which I think is a best kept secret. It has a wonderful vibe like no other!

We will definitely be back to Las Verandas. Although it's brand new and not many people there, it was kind of cool! We practically had the whole place to ourselves! Honestly, I can't think of one negative thing to say about the resort. And, my husband and I have stayed at serval resorts in the Carribean and Mexico.
Also worth checking out- Island Creperie--DELICIOUS crepes-breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Thank you everyone at Las Verandas! We miss you already! See you soon;)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Momowalker1
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed at Las Verandas 3/30 - 4/5 with a close friend -- to get away, relax and celebrate a milestone birthday in a serene and contemplative setting. Not only was the property jaw-droopingly beautiful (lush, natural landscaping that provided habitat for charming wildlife -- hummingbirds, butterflies and agoutis) -- the accommodations were luxurious beyond what the photos convey. Quiet, serene and beautiful all-around... and the oceanfront so close and views so expansive - there was no atmospheric difference between sitting on the villa's veranda or sitting directly on the beach!

The staff was highly attentive, friendly and helpful; and the food delicious!

Keila Thompson (General Manager) was so attentive and present - I joked with her that she doesn't sleep (literally, she was there early every morning and late every evening -- even assisting with delivery of room service when necessary)!

Because of Las Verandas - I will definitely return to Roatan; and I can't imagine staying anywhere else!

Room Tip: Just book... there are no "bad" options!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This resort is an oasis with a setting that's absolutely gorgeous and a wonderful staff that's well trained and authentic. If you've decided on Roatan as a destination you'll want to give this resort consideration. At present they're are a limited number of villas available for rent - more are under construction. This gives you the impression that you pretty much have the entire resort to yourself - we loved it since we don't enjoy having limited access to resources when we're on vacation. And this also afforded the opportunity to converse with the staff and get to know them on a more personal level - Liza, Felipe, Angelo, Sarah, Carlos, Christina - Thank You All - you guys were great.

The Pete Dye golf course is a wonderful track with views of the ocean on many of the holes. The par 3 holes are amazing - classic Pete Dye with equal trouble left and right. They could improve their rental clubs - putter grips needed to be redone and the woods didn't come with head covers and consequently the heads on most of these clubs looked pathetic. Hey you guys in the pro-shop these small details matter to us golfers! Raise your game and put a little love back into these things!

The food and service was excellent on site - we were never disappointed. Off property we recommend Cal's - 5 mins further south - great food with vista views of the west coast.

Thanks Las Verandas !

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed at Las Verandas 3/22-3/29/14 and enjoyed every minute of our trip.

My first impressions upon arrival were that the property is exquisite and the staff is eager to please. Tremendous thought that went into the architecture of the villas and the design of the grounds. This is not your typical Central American property - its the most beautiful, clean, peaceful, and comfortable that I have come across (yes - I know quite an array of adjectives, but they are all appropriate, trust me!). It is more in line with Parrot Cay in Turks, Viceroy Anguilla, etc. It is truly as beautiful as the photos you see. I thought that for the price there were going to have to be some serious downfalls, but I'm afraid there really weren't and I expect the prices to most likely go up significantly in the future. So catch it now!

For what to expect - for now, much privacy. Some have reviewed that this 'creeped' them out - I totally disagree. At first I expected it and thought, yea, this may just be a little strange to be the only guests at the pool, restaurant, etc. But after a day you realize not sharing the 2 amazing pools with anyone is a true gift! But overall there were just enough people around where it did not feel a bit creepy. In fact, we made some amazing friends while there. We ended up having breakfast and dinner with several other guests on occasion.

So now on the food - it is GREAT. The menu is limited, but everything on it is wonderful, and unless you are staying over a week, more than likely it will be perfect. We ate breakfast and lunch on the property almost daily, and both menus are great (and amazingly affordable ~6-10$/breakfast; 7-12$/lunch). We did go out to dinner all but two evenings - we particularly enjoyed Frangipani in Sandy Bay. It is a hike, but it's worth it.

The staff that takes care of you at the restaurant, pool bar, etc. is fantastic. They are eager to please and want you happy. They serve great drinks (margaritas from scratch, that are so darn good; decent wine list...esp. for Central America; Monkey La La's that made me gain 5lb but were worth it). They go above and beyond to make every drink and dining experience fantastic.

Now onto activities. My husband is a do-er. Wants to explore and see everything on the island. Luckily the dive shop is a 2min walk away, so diving 1, 2 or 3 times a day is super simple and fantastic (according to him). Bring your own yoga mat or borrow one from the Beach Club next door, they don't have them on site to borrow --but the balconies/verandas of the villas are great for yoga and they have wifi if you want to do a yogaglo session or two (gym is next door and wasn't my fave - but why exercise inside when the outside offers so much; no yoga or other classes on site yet).

They still have some work to do in organizing the off site activities (not a problem for those that just plan on chilling at the resort). I think it would be helpful for the resort to help guests explore their options and line up an itinerary prior to arrival. They have an activities binder that outlines your options, but its more of a collection of brochures for you to choose from. We were too late to book any catamaran sailing or sailing trips to Pigeon Caye-which was a major disappointment that they were all booked up for the entire week. When asked about ziplining, everyone had a different opinion; ends up the best one is in West Bay/West End area - we did a day trip there and could have done it then, just didn't make the connection when discussing our activities. It would be good to have someone who is able to work with the guests to get an itinerary developed that they are happy with prior to arrival. Especially for those that are eager to explore the island. We found out on day 5/7 that there is also a cool submarine operated by Karl Stanley that can take you down 1000, 2000, or 3000 feet. Maybe this is our job to do the 'digging' into activities, but we really needed local knowledge!

The resort did a great job arranging transportation (we didn't rent a car). They could get us a van with just a short notice, and everyone they arranged was great. They also charge everything to your room and work on a voucher system with the other vendors, activities, car services, etc., so it is super convenient to not constantly be dealing with cash. The transfers were pretty reasonable too.

Only other thing I would love to change - the bugs. There sand flies; the deet helped, but hate that it is harmful to the reef. If the grounds could be sprayed for them, it would be huge. They are annoying, and I really had to have spray on anytime I was outside. (Yes, I know its Central America, but still, they are just annoying). We did go to West Bay to the beach one day, no sand flies there, but so many tourists, it felt like South Beach - wouldn't recommend. We were quite ready to get back to our little heaven. And only thing I would change about the room (or I guess that just kind of annoyed me - there were several light bulbs out in the bathroom that just never got replaced (yes, I'm a bit OCD), and outside on the veranda, there are several lights in the flooring that don't have covers on them (looked like they were being repaired?). The cleanliness of the room, bedding, etc. was amazing. The finishings were top notch.

Overall, this place is fantastic - especially for the price. We will definitely go back. There is a 'hotel' going up - but it is actually just the third 'row' behind the first two rows of villas. It blends in nicely. It will be really interesting to see Las Verandas completed over the next few years. The plans are extraordinary - once the spa is in, it will be even better (probably 2015? - nothing going on yet).

We loved our time and can't wait to return! This place would be fantastic for two couples - one couple upstairs in the villa (would have kitchen, living area, etc), other couple downstairs (would have pool) - then you could all share the amenities. There is an Eldon's Supermarket just a few minutes from the property that you could visit and stock up on groceries, sunscreen, etc. (but I couldn't resist the food at the resort:) Finally, we were in villa 5 - very private, more on the end of the row of villas. The construction did not bother us a bit. In fact, there is a water feature on the infinity pool that makes just the right amount of noise that you don't hear a thing!

Thanks Las Verandas! We miss you already!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Parrot Tree Beach Resort
Parrot Tree Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in First Bight
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Las Verandas Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!