I bought a groupon for a 5 night stay at the Clarion at Pineapple Villas for my parents at Christmas, but they were scared off by the high crime rate in Honduras and I was forced to take it. The hotel had it's high and low points.
1) The Room:
PROS- The room is huge; larger than most apartments in NYC. It has it's own thermostat, granite counter tops, a kitchen with every pot and pan you could need, cable tv and a lanai or deck over looking the pool.
CONS- Since the rooms are designed so that they can be converted to two bedrooms, anything done in the second bedroom, which was rented as an economy room, could be heard throughout our room. Our room was overrun by ants. The bed was like sleeping on a bag of rocks. The hot water in the shower was connected to the cold and the cold to the hot, which means that since the shower was controlled by a single handle, if you wanted to take a hot shower, it was at only a trickle because hot was at the turn on position.
2) The Staff:
PROS- Debbie on the day staff was fantastic. She booked us three excursions and arranged all of our transportation to and from each place, including negotiating better rates for us.
CONS- The night staff was less than useless. When asked for information, they frequently just made things up, quoting prices or explaining ways to book excursions that were just wrong. On our first day, we complained that the WiFi didn't seem to be working very well. The night guy, who never introduced himself or wore a name tag, told us that he would restart the router. He never did. About three hours later, he just called and asked how it was working. When I asked about the issue in the morning, I was told that nothing could be done to increase the strength of the WiFi, as it was only coming from on location three buildings away from us at that time.
3) The Food:
PROS- The fruit was fresh.
CONS- The wait staff was uniformly terrible. They never got a single order correct, despite ordering in both Spanish and English. Then never checked back with us even though we had ordered things that afforded us refills. Despite being the only people, or one of only two occupied tables, in the restaurants at each meal, we waited more than 5 minutes to be seated each time, ten minutes for our drink orders to be taken, ten for them to be brought to us and then another ten for our meal orders to be taken. The meal would then take 20-40 minutes to be brought out. We ordered salads for one meal. How can it take 40 minutes to make a salad? The Pineapple Grill was closed for three out of the five nights we were there with no warning. I ordered grilled fish for one meal and it came only partially cooked. When I explained this, in Spanish, to a passing waitress, she just shrugged and walked away. At our last breakfast, when I asked for a refill of my coffee, the waitress took the coffee from the other occupied table and poured it into my cup.
4) The Resort:
PROS- The pools are nice
CONS - This is not really a resort. It's a hotel with pools. It has no beach access, offers no free things like kayaking or snorkeling and won't even offer you transportation unless you are coming in to the resort. Drop off at the airport was at their schedule, not ours even though I had given my flight times in advance and the airport driver was actually just hanging around the Grill drinking coffee.
CONS- The hotel is forty minutes from everything except Frenchies private island. Despite many people on TripAdvisor stating that the hotel would get you free or very low price shuttles to all activities, we were informed that this was not possible. We were forced to pay at least $60 a day in transportation fees to get anywhere (we could not rent a car as not a single one was free on the island, even though it was the off season).
In short, had we been given a choice on this trip, we would have stayed at the West End in one of their much cheaper, more plentiful, beach front resorts which offered private beach areas, snorkel gear, paddle boards and kayaking for free. This hotel is great if you want to hang out by the pool all day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Clarion Suites® Roatan at Pineapple Villas in French Harbour, Bay Islands is centrally located to the entire island, allowing visitors easy access to a tropical paradise of activities, including nearby beach activities, snorkeling, scuba diving, zip lining, helicopter sightseeing, fishing, shark diving, horseback riding, water skiing, kayaking and other exciting water sports. This convenient Roatan hotel is only a short shuttle ride to the beach, a tranquil reminder of the stunning beauty of this oasis in Honduras.Guests of the Clarion Suites Roatan at Pineapple Villas will be enthralled by its spacious ocean view suites, entranced by four lagoon-style pools with cascading waterfalls and pampered in the world-class spa and health club. The on-site Herby’s Sports Bar & Grill and the Pineapple Grill Steakhouse are great places to enjoy a meal and noted as some of the finest restaurants in the country.Business travelers will appreciate free wireless high-speed Internet in all rooms, as well as access to copy and fax services. There is one meeting room with the hotel able to accommodate 140 people for banquets and 60 for conferences.All guest rooms offer a flat-screen television with cable, DVD player, alarm clock, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron and ironing board. Some rooms feature a mini-bar, desk, down pillows, refrigerator, microwave, sofa sleeper and pillow-top mattress.This is a non-smoking hotel.Its perfect location and convenient access to area attractions make the Clarion Suites Roatan at Pineapple Villas a great place for business and leisure travelers in the French Harbour, Bay Islands area. Book a room with us today and let us help you explore the exquisite beauty of Honduras. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Clarion Suites Roatan at Pineapple Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pineapple Villas Resort And Spa
- Pineapple Villas Hotel French Harbour
- Clarion Suites Roatan At Pineapple Villas Honduras - French Harbour