“Fabulous Vacation”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hembadhu
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Vacation”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I just returned from staying at the Vivanta by Taj, Coral Reef in the Maldives for 7 nights. What a fantastic vacation! My husband and I made a list of pros and cons. As you'll see the pros outweigh the cons in a big, big way.

Pros:

--Arrivals from airport was easy; staff was right on site at the airport waiting for us
--Boat ride from the airport was nice; we were provided with water and juice on the boat
--Arrival at the resort was great; staff there to greet, check in, and escort us to our room quickly
--We stayed at one of the water villas; the room was excellent; view was fantastic, room was spacious and clean
--Snorkel gear free with room
--Lots of complimentary water in the room
--The air conditioning in the room was great
--Housekeeping was excellent! Came twice a day and did a full cleaning (mopping, organizing, towel refresh) each time
--Free evening desserts!
-- The island is really quiet. If you're looking for a place to get away from it all and relax this is your place.
-- The food is really good. The morning baked goods are delicious, almost all menu items (b/l/dinner) had some sort of Indian cuisine which was excellent. (Highly recommend the Masala Uthappam for breakfast!)
--The staff is really friendly and overall attentive
--The stingray feeding is really unique and fun
--The resort is clean and well maintained
--The submarine excursion was great!
--Resort activities are easy to organize
--Hardly anyone in the gym so never had an issue getting a daily workout in
--Games available at the bar (chess, checkers, ping pong, pool)
--We received a boxed breakfast before airport on the way home since we were leaving so early. Very tasty.
--We had a cocktail hour and had the opportunity to meet Vishal. Really nice guy; fun to talk to and

Cons:

--The in room phone is a bit weird to use.
--The room was pretty much the only place we found that had air conditioning. There rest of the resort is open air which is nice but the bar area tends to get really hot.
--The restaurant food gets a bit pricey but as it's not much more pricey than NYC prices.
--As the resort is warm we wanted cooler showers; unfortunately there was not a lot of cooler water for showering when wanted
--We did a submarine excursion and while the excursion itself was excellent and easy to book, the execution of the excursion was not great. After the submarine experience we were taken to Male on a different boat than the one we arrived on. Not only were we not told that we were going to be taken to Male but once we were there we were separated from the group, provided with a random tour guide who offered to take us around the city, and told that the boat would not return to take us back to the resort for 3 hours. My husband and I had no intention of seeing Male and had not dressed properly for seeing the city. We ended up declining the tour guide's offer to show us around and waited at the dock for the boat. Fortunately we were able to get in contact with the resort through a random person at the dock who had a phone and the resort was able to organize a boat to come and get us so we ended up waiting for 2 hours instead of 3. Also fortunately there were other guests from our resort who were done with their tour of Male and were ready to go back to the resort by the time the boat arrived so the boat wasn't taking just my husband and I back.

Seriously though - this place is fantastic. Beautiful, peaceful, relaxing vacation. Highly, highly recommended place (although don't bring your kids; this is much more suited for adults).

2 Thank redjillo
Vivanta C, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear redjillo,

My team and I are delighted to receive your review of your wonderful stay with us recently. Thank you for your encouraging feedback and compliments of the resort.

It is very rewarding for the team to realize that their warm, professional and anticipatory service very much contributed towards your stay experience. Indeed, it is the Taj way to ensure that all our guests receive the genuine warmth and hospitality that they deserve.

It will be our pleasure to extend the wonderful Taj hospitality to you again, should you plan another holiday with us in the future.

Vishal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Didnt feel like leaving this place. It was our honeymoon and best place to stay. We opted for water villa and it was spectacular. Just plunge into the ocean and have a blast. Rooms were superb. Extremly friendly staff and very tasty food. My husband organised a romantic dinner and they did a brilliant job. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose water villa.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Priyadarshini R
Vivanta C, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear rpdarshini,

Surrey
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We have just returned from a week at Vivanta Coral Reef. It was our return trip to the maldives for our anniversary having honeymooned there 10 years ago. We reserved a room only rate through virgin several months ago (that turned out to be B+B) so rather pleased. We thought we'd scored a real bargain until I enquired about transfers- these weren't included and I had to pay nearly £300 extra- the hotel declined to include these and said we had to organise through virgin.
We had to wait about an hour at Male for our speedboat transfer due to refuelling issue, but were shown to a local air conditioned cafe/lounge and given a drink. The transfer speedboat was more of a floating bus, but was comfortable and the journey about 45 mins. Check in was smooth and staff were courteous. This resort is tiny- only 60 or so rooms. Although we were told it was running at 70% or more capacity it felt so quiet and there were never any queues/flights for the pool loungers! Most of the clientele were Chinese/Japanese who made full use of the on site photo shoot service- every day another batch of couples appeared in various poses around the pool. there were a few Europeans and a few Australians.
The staff were exemplary- polite, courteous and pleasant and nothing was too much trouble. We met the manager on one evening and shared a cocktail and our experience of the resort which was a nice touch.
The food was mostly good. The main restaurant served a mixture of different styles- the Indian dishes were really excellent, the Thai food mediocre. Steaks were great. The breakfasts were similarly diverse with a cold buffet and then hot choices ranging from indonesian porridges, chinese noodle bowls to an English fry up. There was some odd looking bacon though!
We also ate in the grill one evening- south American themed. I loved it, by my husband was not so keen.
As with most other resorts in the Maldives, food and drink are NOT cheap. We paid 70usd/day to upgrade to half board. To pay for each course would be 22usd for starters, 35-45 main and 22 usd for desert.
Alcohol was very expensive- but that is also pretty universal in this country. The draught beer is the cheapest option at 6usd for a reasonable sized glass, house wine 8usd for 150mls. A bottle of the cheapest wine will set you back 50usd. The mini bar bizarrely was probably the most reasonable for wine- a half bottle costing 15usd.
We visited the spa- nice and my husband did 3 dives. The divers were well catered for with 4 different instructors of different nationality. David was excellent and we were really impressed by the dive service.
We stayed in a charm beach villa- all of these are situated at the quieter end of the island and was perfectly adequate, had a nice each at the door and was cleaned twice daily with petal arrangements on the bed. There was a hammock on the beach and an outdoor shower. TV channels in English were fairly limited- but then who wants to watch TV on holiday! The ipod dock was nice and there were DVDs available for rainy days.
The beaches at vivanta are small and its not always clear that the island does have several stone breakwaters- you have to choose your camera angles with care as they are a little ugly although necessary!

Room Tip: We stayed in 221- charm beach villas- I'd ask for 221-224 as they have a flatter beach and are a...
2 Thank SurreyLils
Vivanta C, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear SurreyLils,
It was with the greatest pleasure that I read your review about your experience. I am so honored that you chose Coral Reef while you were in Maldives.
And we are extremely grateful that you took time out from your schedule to share this wonderful feedback. it will be with great pleasure that I will share it with the team.
I look forward to 'welcoming ' you back to Maldives.

Warm Regards,
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We decided to go here for our honeymoon, a decision we didn't regret. We had a water villa and the room was very clean, the room itself big and the deck provided privacy and an amazing view. The food was excellent as was the service. The staff really went above and beyond to cater to your needs. The cocktail parties organized by the hotel management were also entertaining.
The island itself is very small, but quiet and relaxing.
We will definitely return for a vacation here. It is expensive, but totally worth it.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Vivanta C, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Sorana 273,
It was with the greatest pleasure that I read your review about your experience. I am so honoured that you chose Coral Reef while you were in Maldives.
I look forward to 'welcoming ' you back to Maldives.

Warm Regards,
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Vivnta by Taj was our 1st honeymoon destination-
the room was spacious and the staff where very pleasant and very attentive!
we spent 7 nights in the hotel our honeymoon also had the half board which was the best thing we could have done! because all the food and drinks where very expensive!!
amazing destination!

Room Tip: make sure you pay for half board before you book!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tas1y
Vivanta C, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Tas 1y,

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

When we first arrived at the resort we were greeted warmly and with open hearts. The service throughout our stay was fantastic. Whatever we needed was sent to us and all our expectations of what this resort would be we're surpassed. The food was absolutely brilliant. Delicious food everyday and in every meal. Surprisingly the menus changed everyday throughout our 6 day stay despite the resort being located on an island. I'm sure transportation of food and supplies would be difficult. We stayed on the villa which overlooked the sea and was on stilts. Although concrete and built very near to the shore the view was spectacular! I recommend everyone to stay on these ones as although more expensive than the beach villas, the view and the coral reef right in front of your door is to die for. A coral reef in which you can snorkel as well as stand when you want! Yes, it's very shallow and you can see a large variety of coral and fish. Especially in front of rooms 114 and 115 which are on stilts. I tried my hand at scuba diving as well. A beginner course for 160 dollars was truly worth while. We took a 30 minute dive with basic skills training at the beginning it was a fabulous experience and one I recommend everyone to do. You can even find the infamous clown fish (Nemo) in that dive. The bar which overlooks the sea plays some very nice music along with some great drinks and snacks. They have a pool table and table tennis there as well. Just outside the bar is a wooden deck with seats and tables with a view of the beautiful Indian Ocean. I recommend you sitting there and having a drink while enjoying the evening's festivities. At an overall we had a fantastic time at the taj, great food, service and picturesque scenery really made my holidays. I strongly recommend anyone who is looking to visit the Maldives to visit and to stay at the vivanta by taj.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear pranavl9,

Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We had very good experience at the resort. At the airport we were received by their rep.and he labeled our luggage. Then we were escorted to the boat. The resort is 32km from the airport and it took45 minutes to reach .We were welcomed by the staff and checked in. Our luggage reached our room within minutes . Our room was facing the beach with beach chairs .Excellent view.
In the evening at 5pm fish-sting ray gather at a spot where they are fed.
We had submarine excursion tour which was excellent followed by Diwali celebrations in the hotel .Played some games organized by the staff in traditional Indian outfit.
Actually they should have some more activities in addition to the watersports which they already have.

1 Thank sonimadhu
Dear Sonimadhu,

Vishal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hembadhu
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Vihamanafushi
Meeru Island Resort & Spa
Meeru Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Meerufenfushi

Been to Vivanta by Taj Coral Reef Maldives? Share your experiences!