“oh dear”

Pacific Coast Lodge and Backpackers
Christchurch, New Zealand
“oh dear”
Reviewed 8 January 2013

The guy who met us at reception was new but friendly and enthusiastic. Our room was quite tiny and so close to the road I am sure we could hear the conversations people in their cars were having as they drove by.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
BrooklynRubix, Owner at Pacific Coast Lodge and Backpackers, responded to this review, 26 January 2013
Hi There!
I'm sorry you were not completely satisfied with your room - we do have 24 rooms to choose from ranging in different sizes of room structure, and number of beds.
Yes, we are located on the main road just out of town, so we can offer a quiet stay - and I am very sorry that you found the noise from the public to be disturbing - we cannot control that - but we could have transferred you to an alternate room away from the front of the building.
I hope in future you would make it known to the staff so we can help rectify the situation.
Hope you are enjoying your travels throughout NZ and experiencing the most on offer!
Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 29 December 2012 via mobile

Upon arriving the receptionist seemed fairly blunt, and I felt like I was hassling her rather than asking to check in. Once checked in I noticed there was no duvet on my bed, when I asked about it I was told I had to hire one like all hostels! After travelling in hostels for all of New Zealand, this was the first occurrence of this to me! The room was very small for a four bed share, the hostel had a horrible clicky party atmosphere, loud bassy music was played until about 2am, people were noisy outside, and the dorm was a mess. Lastly; at 5am someone stumbled into the dorm to sleep and argued with another lodger for 30 mins! The following day I complained to reception, who was aware of the trouble making lodger, we came to an arrangement whereby I could shorten my stay and check out early, and got refunded for the night I didn't stay, this was an amicable resolution which I was pleased with but frustrated it had to come to that. I would avoid this place if you are looking for a quiet "mutual respect amongst guests" culture. The YHA in tauranga was much better!

• Stayed December 2012
BrooklynRubix, Manager at Pacific Coast Lodge and Backpackers, responded to this review, 26 January 2013
Hi There!
You came to reception the following day & voiced your concerns with me - we discussed it, and I gave you a refund on your stay - to which you were greatly appreciative of it, along with smiling and thanking us for the consideration. (As it was your room mates that you had issues with)

We have House Rules in place and the courtyard is shut down at 10pm out of respect to our neighbours - we also employ a nightwarden to make sure there is no noise in the hostel after 11pm. Unfortunately at this time of year we are super busy, and while we try our best to accommodate everyone - and have rules in place for an enjoyable stay - there are always the minority who push the boundaries - of which we have zero tolerance and request them to leave.

The room you were in was a 4bed dorm - We were more than happy to put you into a different room at another end of the hostel, but you declined. I am sorry for the experience you have had, we pride ourselves in a 4star rating, and try and make everyones stay comfortable and enjoyable - and I personally think we are doing it right, otherwise we wouldn't have so many repeat customers, or be as busy as we are.
We hope you enjoy the rest of New Zealand and have safe travels
Reviewed 17 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed in this hostel for one week, so we enjoyed a special weekly rate in which we payer for six nights instead for seven.

The facilities were clean most of the time and the helpers did a great job cleaning up the messy kitchen every morning. The rooms could have been a little more equipped with cardboards. However our room had its own tiny sink.

There was no free WiFi as advertised on the website and false infornation about the prices were given by the staff.

Hi There!
Thank you for your review!
Yes, we do offer cheaper weekly rates in our off-peak season (March to September) and try to offer competitive rates for BBH members throughout the year.
Thank you for your feedback regarding more cupboards in the rooms - as we only took over the business a short time ago, we are making a list as we go - and be sure to know we do plan on arranging better storage within the rooms.
Regarding the free WIFI - This is supplied through a third party operator who has no affiliation with us - unfortunately the server has been down for quite sometime while they rebuild the parts required - and this is something we have no control over. However, for your convenience we do have other alternates for connecting to the internet, along with being a short bus ride to Tauranga where the entire city is on a free network (capped however).
We hope you are enjoying the rest of your travels in NZ,
Manhasset, New York
Reviewed 13 December 2012

I've been traveling in New Zealand for a couple months. I've had some amazing experiences with lodging and some okay experiences, but this is the first truly bad experience I've had. If you're a college-age kid indifferent to staying in a noisy, unclean, frat-like environment, I'd actually recommend this place. But if you're anyone else, do the research that I didn't do and find somewhere else in the Mount or Tauranga.

I informed the manager first thing in the morning of my displeasure, said I was fine paying for the sleepless night I just had but would like to check out, get refunded for the next two nights which they charged me for upfront, and let bygones be bygones. She refused, citing their cancellation policy. Whatever the policy is, this is Mount on a summer weekend where most places in town seem to be completely booked, so I'm pretty sure she'd be able to fill the room in no time. In the interest of customer service and semi-satisfaction, issuing a refund for the unstayed nights and apologizing for the bad experience probably would have been the right thing to do, but I guess that would be setting expectations too high for a place like this. As evidence of how poor this accommodation is, I think I'm probably going to eat the cost and find somewhere else regardless.

Hi There
Thank you for your comments - I'm quite taken by the comment about an unclean facility - as we do pride ourselves in offering a clean and safe stay.
I employ a minimum of 3 cleaning staff per day, more in Summer, and as much as we keep the communal areas clean and at a high standard, we cannot tidy the guests belongings inside the dorm rooms - but we do clean these daily - unfortunately we cannot control the guests leaving their things about the rooms.
The Mount in Summer is a busy place, you are correct, and we have a 24 hour cancellation policy in place for a reason - as do all the other accommodation establishments throughout NZ - I am sorry that you felt we did not come to a mutual agreement - and it is strange that we did not refund you the balance of your nights (unless you were staying over our high season period - then a different refund policy is in place).
If you wish to contact me in the office, I am more than happy to trace back to your booking and take a look at it & see if we can offer you something you are happy with .
Regardless, we hope you are enjoying the rest of NZ
Mount Maunganui, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Pacific Coast Lodge now has new owners who took over in August 2012.
They have done a great job at giving the place a new surf and beach theme to it, with their catchphrase "Peace, Love & Sandy Feet". A big surf wave welcomes you at reception, with a fresh coat of paint throughout the downstairs and upstairs areas.
Lots of surf art, and quotations fill the rooms and hallways, and a kitchen that is clean and very well stocked. A piece of history is the old-school can opener, a cool learning curve to follow the instructions!
They have created lovely courtyard out the back, with a BBQ and a bush fence to make it a bit more private.
With 5 sets of bathrooms (depending on which room you are staying in - you either have shared bathrooms or communal facilities) there are never any queues for the facilities. Cheapest rooms of course are the bigger dorms - 10, 8, or 6 bed dorms, along with plenty of 4bed dorms... Doubles and twins available also - with good sized rooms, hand basins and full linen supplied. A nice touch are the mints on the towels, along with hot water bottles or fans available from the staff.
A mere hop skip and a jump to the beach, 500 metres away, and downtown the Mount only 650metres, along with New World Supermarket only a 9minute walk (go ahead and set your timer!)
With some free bikes, free surfboards, body boards and sand boards, not to mention ping pong, darts, tennis and Targa (a new sport invention by their nightman!), they are good value for money.
Definately recommended, but don't take my word for it. Go and see for yourself what is on offer, they can even help with finding work. If you are looking for a quiet place, this is it. If you are looking for a social place, this is also it. Party-goers are encouraged to head to the beach, the bar or to bed, but they have some good recommendations from the local watering holes, and on occasion you'll be able to score some discounts!!
A place for everyone, and everyone's place, Pacific Coast Lodge is your "beach accommodation at affordable prices"

Room Tip: Just go for a room in your budget, the staff are always accommodating - ask them for a tour of a sel...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank BayDragons
PacificCoastLodge, Manager at Pacific Coast Lodge and Backpackers, responded to this review, 2 March 2013
Hi BayDragons
Thank you for your comprehensive review on our facility here in the Mount!
You have hit the nail on the head with regards to all on offer, and we are so glad we could accommodate the team with us!
Let the rest of the paddlers know it was a pleasure having you stay, and we hope you smashed it at the championships!
Peace, Love & Sandy Feet!
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Location: The location is similar to the nearby backpackers - Seagulls Guesthouse. Next to Quest Hotel Service Apartment & McDonald, bus stop is just in front of the backpackers.

Room: Room space is larger even in a 6 person dorm.

Facility: Shower rooms are just like the shower facility at beach or swimming pool. No door for each cubicle but curtains. Toilets (only 3 for males) are not enough for such a huge backpackers. Huge car parks. If you stay there during peak seasons especially during KIwifruit seasons (a lot of workers stay there), the kitchen will be a chaos!

Service: Generally the owners are friendly.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
PacificCoastLodge, Manager at Pacific Coast Lodge and Backpackers, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Hi vjie83
Thanks for staying in May 2012 - this was shortly before we took over in August 2012.
We plan to do a few more upgrades, always a work in progress! Thank you for taking the time to let us know what we do well,
Peace, Love and Sandy Feet!
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I did not like the people, the atmosphere and the facilities in this place. The rooms were small, there was no interaction between the guests and there was a depressing atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank msp1979
Hi msp1979
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay in 2011. We took over the lodge in August 2012, and we've been having a lot of fun!
Please come back again and stay with us, enjoy an international dinner night, a game of Soccer, a ping pong challenge, or free-bread fridays .. We've got lots to do, and a super great atmosphere (well, I think so!)
Hope life is beautiful for you,
Peace, Love and Sandy Feet
#2 of 4 in Mount Maunganui
Papamoa Beach Resort
Papamoa Beach Resort
#1 of 2 in Papamoa

Been to Pacific Coast Lodge and Backpackers? Share your experiences!