Pacific Coast Lodge and Backpackers
Baywatch Motor Inn(Mount Maunganui)(Great Value!)
US$155
US$139
Calais Mount Resort(Mount Maunganui)
US$124
US$121
  • Beachfront
Seagulls Guesthouse(Mount Maunganui)(Great Value!)
US$65
US$53
Hostelworld.com
The Pacific Apartments(Mount Maunganui)
US$207
US$184
Priceline
  • Pool
Oceanside Resort & Twin Towers(Mount Maunganui)(Great Value!)
US$175
Hotels.com
  • Pool
US$290
Blue Haven Motel(Mount Maunganui)
TripAdvisor
Bay Palm Motel(Mount Maunganui)
TripAdvisor
Blue Wave Motel(Mount Maunganui)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfree surfboardsping pong tablethe kitchenworking hostelbig tv roomsurf boardspay risegames roomhuge loungea great place to spendbit messymin walk to townmc donaldnew zealandroom was spotlesscomfortable sofasgood vibes
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Stayed in the hostel over New Years as working with one of thier jobs in the fish factory. The 6bed room was full of light, good windows, near bathrooms. Super busy here and met lots of people. Wasnt too crazy as new guy from the UK was nightman.
awesome: new years in the mount! atmosphere, and liked having a big tv room.
to improve: more surfboards and a pool!

Room Tip: ask for room 2 its quiet and one of the bigger 6bed rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
BrooklynRubix, Manager at Pacific Coast Lodge and Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2013

Hi There!
Thanks so much for your review - it was a pleasure having you stay and hope you are enjoying the rest of your travels throughout NZ!
We've just purchased another 2 surfboards, so we now have 5 boards available to use for free for our guests ... Not so sure about the pool, as the beach is just a 5min walk away (though it would be nice!)

Reviewed 8 January 2013

The guy who met us at reception was new but friendly and enthusiastic. Our room was quite tiny and so close to the road I am sure we could hear the conversations people in their cars were having as they drove by.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
BrooklynRubix, Owner at Pacific Coast Lodge and Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2013

Hi There!
I'm sorry you were not completely satisfied with your room - we do have 24 rooms to choose from ranging in different sizes of room structure, and number of beds.
Yes, we are located on the main road just out of town, so we can offer a quiet stay - and I am very sorry that you found the noise from the public to be disturbing - we cannot control that - but we could have transferred you to an alternate room away from the front of the building.
I hope in future you would make it known to the staff so we can help rectify the situation.
Hope you are enjoying your travels throughout NZ and experiencing the most on offer!

Reviewed 29 December 2012 via mobile

Upon arriving the receptionist seemed fairly blunt, and I felt like I was hassling her rather than asking to check in. Once checked in I noticed there was no duvet on my bed, when I asked about it I was told I had to hire one like all hostels! After travelling in hostels for all of New Zealand, this was the first occurrence of this to me! The room was very small for a four bed share, the hostel had a horrible clicky party atmosphere, loud bassy music was played until about 2am, people were noisy outside, and the dorm was a mess. Lastly; at 5am someone stumbled into the dorm to sleep and argued with another lodger for 30 mins! The following day I complained to reception, who was aware of the trouble making lodger, we came to an arrangement whereby I could shorten my stay and check out early, and got refunded for the night I didn't stay, this was an amicable resolution which I was pleased with but frustrated it had to come to that. I would avoid this place if you are looking for a quiet "mutual respect amongst guests" culture. The YHA in tauranga was much better!

Hi There!
You came to reception the following day & voiced your concerns with me - we discussed it, and I gave you a refund on your stay - to which you were greatly appreciative of it, along with smiling and thanking us for the consideration. (As it was your room mates that you had issues with)

We have House Rules in place and the courtyard is shut down at 10pm out of respect to our neighbours - we also employ a nightwarden to make sure there is no noise in the hostel after 11pm. Unfortunately at this time of year we are super busy, and while we try our best to accommodate everyone - and have rules in place for an enjoyable stay - there are always the minority who push the boundaries - of which we have zero tolerance and request them to leave.

The room you were in was a 4bed dorm - We were more than happy to put you into a different room at another end of the hostel, but you declined. I am sorry for the experience you have had, we pride ourselves in a 4star rating, and try and make everyones stay comfortable and enjoyable - and I personally think we are doing it right, otherwise we wouldn't have so many repeat customers, or be as busy as we are.
We hope you enjoy the rest of New Zealand and have safe travels

Reviewed 17 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed in this hostel for one week, so we enjoyed a special weekly rate in which we payer for six nights instead for seven.

The facilities were clean most of the time and the helpers did a great job cleaning up the messy kitchen every morning. The rooms could have been a little more equipped with cardboards. However our room had its own tiny sink.

There was no free WiFi as advertised on the website and false infornation about the prices were given by the staff.

Hi There!
Thank you for your review!
Yes, we do offer cheaper weekly rates in our off-peak season (March to September) and try to offer competitive rates for BBH members throughout the year.
Thank you for your feedback regarding more cupboards in the rooms - as we only took over the business a short time ago, we are making a list as we go - and be sure to know we do plan on arranging better storage within the rooms.
Regarding the free WIFI - This is supplied through a third party operator who has no affiliation with us - unfortunately the server has been down for quite sometime while they rebuild the parts required - and this is something we have no control over. However, for your convenience we do have other alternates for connecting to the internet, along with being a short bus ride to Tauranga where the entire city is on a free network (capped however).
We hope you are enjoying the rest of your travels in NZ,

Reviewed 13 December 2012

I've been traveling in New Zealand for a couple months. I've had some amazing experiences with lodging and some okay experiences, but this is the first truly bad experience I've had. If you're a college-age kid indifferent to staying in a noisy, unclean, frat-like environment, I'd actually recommend this place. But if you're anyone else, do the research that I didn't do and find somewhere else in the Mount or Tauranga.

I informed the manager first thing in the morning of my displeasure, said I was fine paying for the sleepless night I just had but would like to check out, get refunded for the next two nights which they charged me for upfront, and let bygones be bygones. She refused, citing their cancellation policy. Whatever the policy is, this is Mount on a summer weekend where most places in town seem to be completely booked, so I'm pretty sure she'd be able to fill the room in no time. In the interest of customer service and semi-satisfaction, issuing a refund for the unstayed nights and apologizing for the bad experience probably would have been the right thing to do, but I guess that would be setting expectations too high for a place like this. As evidence of how poor this accommodation is, I think I'm probably going to eat the cost and find somewhere else regardless.

Hi There
Thank you for your comments - I'm quite taken by the comment about an unclean facility - as we do pride ourselves in offering a clean and safe stay.
I employ a minimum of 3 cleaning staff per day, more in Summer, and as much as we keep the communal areas clean and at a high standard, we cannot tidy the guests belongings inside the dorm rooms - but we do clean these daily - unfortunately we cannot control the guests leaving their things about the rooms.
The Mount in Summer is a busy place, you are correct, and we have a 24 hour cancellation policy in place for a reason - as do all the other accommodation establishments throughout NZ - I am sorry that you felt we did not come to a mutual agreement - and it is strange that we did not refund you the balance of your nights (unless you were staying over our high season period - then a different refund policy is in place).
If you wish to contact me in the office, I am more than happy to trace back to your booking and take a look at it & see if we can offer you something you are happy with .
Regardless, we hope you are enjoying the rest of NZ