“5/5 space monkeys!”

Pacific Coast Lodge and Backpackers
Stockholm, Sweden
“5/5 space monkeys!”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I've been traveling around NZ for three months and stayed at loads of different good hostels but PCL was by far the best! Friendly, helpful and welcoming staff. Clean kitchen, nice showers and toilets. Felt cozy and homey to be there. Loved that place! :-)

• Stayed December 2013
PacificCoastLodge, Manager at Pacific Coast Lodge and Backpackers, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Hi Cameljam
Hope you are having fun throughout NZ - Thanks for sending us video updates on your adventures!
We appreciate your review, and thanks for noticing the hard work we put in! We are upgrading our bathrooms over the Winter, so they'll be even more enjoyable for when you return!
Keep living the dream in this beautiful country!
Brooke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Korean first
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I had to stay at the Pacific Coast Lodge on the labour weekend 2013 as I stupidly didn't book any accomodation in advance and this was the only place with two free beds on the Sunday to Monday night.

When I learnt that they charge you extra for duvet, I was quite stunned - in a negative way as I've never heard of that before. We had to stay in a 4-bed share room, which have an average non-BBH price of $31, but together with $2 duvets it's already expensive. When we asked for free WiFi, we found out that this is ridicolously expensive as well.

The overall atmosphere wasn't great either, there were only 18 to 20 years old Germans staying while I was there, which stayed in their group and didn't socialise much with non-Germans there, at least that was my impression. Yes, that's nothing I can bill to the hostel itself, but it's the whole experience that matters.

Rooms and facilities were quite okay, however the kitchen was a bit messy and the room I've stayed in had a really small window, so it became incredibly hot inside. I've noticed Brooke's (the hostel manager) sheets (English and German) on the wall saying she was angry about the cleaning behaviour and she's going to speak out penalties or something if the behaviour was going on like this. Also not really her fault but it says something about the usual residents of this place as I haven't encountered something like this before my stay there or afterwards.

I didn't use the community room etc., but it seemed spacy, which is good in general. One really good thing about the Pacific Coast Lodge is its location near the sea, you just walk about 10 minutes and enjoy the Mount's awesome beach. For the junk food lovers there's also a McDonald's close by. I can second that the staff acts very rushed, but keeps it friendly.

All in all not the worst place, but also far away from being a hostel you want to keep in mind.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Hi FromEtoA
Thanks for your review - better late than never! October is one of our busiest months, and we try and create an atmosphere that is welcoming to all guests.
We NEVER charge for duvets - these have been included in the price for well over 18 months now - they are not in the rooms (so we know they are clean and fresh for you!) but are available on request. In regards to the WIFI - We give out 30 minutes of unlimited data internet free to all our guests on arrival. We also have other WIFI options available for purchase starting from $2 * per hour.
While we do not discriminate against any guest for their nationality, there are a lot of Germans throughout New Zealand on the whole, because there are unlimited numbers of Working Holiday Visas available - compared for example to say the Hungarians who are capped at only 200 people total.
In every hostel you will always find a group of guests who have been spending all their time with each other - so it is normal they hang out in groups. It's all about making the most of your time in hostels - get to know each other, say hello and start up a conversation. That's how socialising works!
The signs you mention, in German & English, work a treat. Sometimes it is better to adapt to a culture to get a message across. As we have communal facilities, we expect ALL guests to be respectful to each other and to the facility - so that everyone can enjoy the experience.
We hope you are enjoying the rest of your travels and look forward to hosting you again soon,
adelaide
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I was greeted by lovely staff when I arrived early and I was able to store my luggage until my room was available. But that was the best of it.

The room was relatively small, as a result my fellow dorm mates thought it appropriate to store their luggage leaning halfway up the ladder to the top bunk. The room smelt pretty bad, mattresses were very thin and uncomfortable, pillows were terrible, only one bathroom between 4 rooms and toilet was in the bathroom, it was hardly ever free, other bathrooms were available though. The kitchen was grubby and small, not really any bench space to prepare food at.

And then there were the long term lodgers, most of whom were rude to all fellow guests using the communal areas and facilities, other guests were told not to place their food in certain spots as that is where their food went. Seemed rather pathetic, if you are staying long term in these types of places understand that there are other travelers using these facilities with exactly the same rights as yourself and you don't own it so don't act like you do.

Was glad I was only here for the one night, if I was staying longer I would've found somewhere else and would've been quite happy to forfeit my room charge which was quite expensive considering the overall place, much better options that are cheaper with better facilities in nearby Tauranga.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ittakesonedream
Hi ittakesonedream,

We did try contacting you via email - to no response.

Thank you for your review - you mention quite a lot of points in relation to the individual, rather than the hostel itself. We cannot be everyone's mother - and also cannot monitor where everyone puts their belongings in a room - I am sorry that your room mate left their luggage by your ladder. A lot of guests also feel like this their 'home away from home' - so we cannot blame them for being comfortable in their surroundings.

As we only took over the lodge in 2012, we are upgrading as often as we can - this means that if your mattress and pillow were not the best - We need to know so we can replace them! Having a large hostel, it is impossible for us to test every single bed, and rely on guests to let us know face-to-face so we can rectify the situation immediately.

We also have 5 bathrooms in our facility - your room had a key access to a private toilet opposite your room, which is for your convenience in the middle of the night.
We have never had complaints about any queues in the bathrooms and we are proud to point out that we successfully host a school of 96 students for a week every year for a sporting tournament!

With that also being said - we have seating for this same group in our kitchen - which is far from being a "small kitchen" - we have 3 large sinks and benches, a large kauri table, another 2 dinner tables, and 3 portable work benches. Not to mention our outdoor dining / courtyard. Not sure why you were not able to prepare your dinner!

We are proud of our facility, and employ over 7 staff to keep the standard of cleanliness at a self-rated 4 star. We also clean our kitchen a minimum of 4 times per day, and supply cloths and disinfectant spray for the guests to clean up their work space after they have finished.

Thank you once again for taking the time to make a review - we can only improve our facility when our guests let us know some suggestions.

Peace, Love & Sandy Feet,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I had a really good time staying here, it's really close to the beach! I found it very clean and has great communal areas. The staff seemed a little rushed but generally were helpful. Lots of really fun backpackers staying so there was always someone to chat to and have fun with. Awesome free surf board rentals which was a major bonus!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
PacificCoastLodge, Manager at Pacific Coast Lodge and Backpackers, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Hi Deezie
Thank you for your wonderful review - we are a busy hostel, and the backpackers certainly keep us on our toes! Hope you caught some good waves and are enjoying the rest of your travels!
Look forward to having you stay with us again,
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my girlfriend in a double room and then in dorm rooms as well. It's ok for the price, very clean and the guy at he reception very friendly. It also has free parking which is pretty handy.
Only compliant is that Internet sucked and play room smelled like feet.

Stayed February 2014
Hi
Thanks for your review of our property. I'm sorry that you had issues with our Internet - we do not have access in every room, but it is accessible in all the common areas. This is something we are looking to upgrade for you - However, we live right by the beach so we hope our travelers will spend more time socializing and enjoying this beautiful landscape.
I am also really sorry that the Games Room 'smelt like feet'. Please be assured that we do clean and freshen this room daily, and also clean our carpets. I cannot vouch for the backpackers and their feet .. Any suggestion on how I could ensure they wash their feet better??
Glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise, and meeting Juan - We think he is pretty tops too!
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

What a joke. We arrived at the hostel one evening and I instantly said to my friend I was "getting bad vibes". Treated like a number we were each given a tour so rushed we basically jogged round, and all we heard from the front desk staff for the rest of the evening was nagging whilst cooking about washing up. For $30 you don't even get a fitted sheet or duvet - is that a joke? Take a look elsewhere-it's pretty standard. The curfew is too early and we weren't allowed to stay outside even when being SILENT with headphones in. The kitchen is big but awfully designed and to top it all off our four bed dorm was barely big enough for two. Nice trick with the extra creaky bunk beds, real charming trying to negotiate them during the night. Finally it's way to far out of the main strip unless you have a car. Never again and we left early the next morning.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
PacificCoastLodge, Manager at Pacific Coast Lodge and Backpackers, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Hi jgp1991
Thank you for taking the time to review!
Evenings are our busiest time, but we still take the opportunity to show you around our hostel - instead of just 'pointing you in the direction' of your room - As we are a larger hostel, we feel this adds a nice touch to our service - Sorry you felt it was rushed!
Again, as we are a larger hostel, with a large communal kitchen (with plenty of dining space, cooking facilities, and well equipped) we need to remind our guests to do their dishes and hope everyone will respect the space and clean up after themselves. There is nothing worse than trying to cook your dinner amongst dirty dishes!
All of our dorm beds are supplied with a fitted sheet, and pillow. Duvets are available from reception for FREE. I'm sorry you thought otherwise.
Yes - we close our courtyard at 10pm due to the noise restriction - We need to be kind to our neighbours who return the same courtesy to us. We want you to enjoy your stay, but ask to keep the noise down after 10pm as a consideration to others who might be trying to sleep.
We hope that if there is a problem with any beds - to LET US KNOW! We cannot improve our facility if guests don't tell us. We have recently upgraded a few of our bunks, which are larger than standard.
We are only 650 metres from Downtown the Mount, and we have FREE bikes available should you wish to ride instead. Having a car is not a necessity in this town, as everything is just a hop, skip and a jump away.
Thank you for rating us highly on our cleanliness, and we are sorry that we won't be seeing you again. We do wish you the best with your travels and hope that other hostels in this beautiful country meet your expectations.
Peace, Love & Sandy Feet!
Liverpool
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

I arrived at the Pacific Coast Lodge at the end of October 2013 in the hope to find work, with in two days the team had found me a job. I stayed for just over six weeks and had an amazing time there. It was like a second home. The hostel has a great vibe, all other guests were friendly and the staff were eager to help on all occasions.

The bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens and all other communal areas were always clean and tidy. They have a nice T.V room with loads of movies and a games room with a ping pong table and plenty of things to keep you occupied.

It is perfectly situated, five minutes from the beach, not too far into town and less than a ten minute walk to the grocery store. Also there is a dairy literally over the road and the naked and intercity coach stop is right outside.

I would highly recommend this hostel!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
PacificCoastLodge, Manager at Pacific Coast Lodge and Backpackers, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Hi Sophia
Thanks for your wonderful review - it was a pleasure having you and "Norman" come and stay with us! We appreciated your vibrant attitude to our atmosphere, and winning the prize in our Halloween Contest was a great effort!
We miss you heaps, and hope you are having a fun trip back in the UK. See you soon when you land your feet back on NZ soil,
Brooke & the Team
#2 of 4 in Mount Maunganui
Papamoa Beach Resort
Papamoa Beach Resort
#1 of 2 in Papamoa

Been to Pacific Coast Lodge and Backpackers? Share your experiences!