“Fantastic Meal/Location”

Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Auckland NZ
“Fantastic Meal/Location”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I had brought a voucher off Grabone-Dinner for two. I'm Glad we did. The Calamari King Prawns were so fresh The Best I have ever had. My main meal Steak just cooked perfect to how I like my steak to be, Steak melted in my mouth. Summer Sands I will be back.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank vickiNewZealand

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“OK but not great”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

This is a large restaurant with pleasant although not overly friendly staff. Prices are a bit on the high side especially considering the foods seems almost like it has come out of the microwave and from packet. Very centrally located and an easy stroll from most of the hotels.

Visited April 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
“Couldn't cope with a group”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Unfortunately, we booked for a large group and the restaurant couldn't cope. We waited while meals were delivered to the table 2 at a time with huge waits in between. I was very sick in the night after the fettucine with seafood, so suspect something in this dish wasn't too good. They said they were short of a chef and short-staffed, but this wasn't a good experience, unfortunately.

Visited February 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Average food and vomiting guests”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I bought a voucher off grab one for 1 entree, main and dessert for two people.

Entree-Calamari and king prawns. Only got 4 king prawns. Sauce on calamari was probably the highlight. Wilted average side salad.

Main-I got the chicken wrapped in bacon and my partner got the steak and prawns. Again average but at least it was filing.

Dessert. Cold soggy crepes and what tasted like a microwave oven sticky date pudding. The worst of all three dishes. Overkill with the cream but at ;east the date pudding had flavour unlike the crepes.

The worst part of the night was the guest who decided to first have a lie down on the floor under her table as she must of felt sick. The waitress who should have sent this obviously sick women home instead gave her a bucket of which she then proceeded to vomit in right in the middle of the restaurant. Have you ever tried to eat your dinner with someone vomiting near you? It was horrendous. The waitress should not have let this happen and should have either sent her home or called an ambulance.

• Visited January 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Only a VERY AVERAGE cafe – not a restaurant!”
Reviewed 10 December 2012

OK it was mid-day on a December Monday, but the people were certainly not at Summer Sands with only 2 other couples there. This is despite discount vouchers, daily specials and blackboard offerings they are having problems attracting customers so one has to ask WHY?

It could be that Summer Sands lack the zing and atmosphere of a happening beachfront cafe.

The lunch menu is rather limited with mainly standard fare and the cabinet food was also a bit limited. On arrival we were questioned if we had made a bookings and one wondered why with a near empty restaurant however we were seated and our order taken promptly. Our meals arrived quickly – about 12 minutes. The two dishes, Calamari with chips and salad ($20), and Tiger prawns in a summer salad ($22), were just OK – nothing spectacular and not great value.

So if you are on Marine Parade at Mount Maunganui and felling that you would like lunch and all the other restaurants and full of happy customers then Summer Sands would be OK but you would be a lot better off the buy a packet of fish and chips and enjoy then on the beach.

We won’t be rushing back!

• Visited December 2012