“Friendly, relaxed and family oriented hotel”
Review of Datchet Mead Hotel

Datchet Mead Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Datchet
Datchet Mead Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Datchet
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Friendly, relaxed and family oriented hotel”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Excellent hotel. Staff are friendly and helpful beyond any normal expectations. We booked for 5 days as a small business group looking to avoid the drudgery of the Motorway corridor hotels while visiting from various Scandinavian locations.

Altogether, we experienced a family friendliness and relaxed atmosphere that really helped take the edge off during a busy week. As the World Cup was on during our stay, it was great to have a garden style bar available, while a family football was available for World Cup re-enactments on the lawn. Inside the menu was interesting and very tasty across a range of options, although one needed to plan around the opening times.

The hotel is a short walk from the picturesque village of Datchet and a brief taxi ride from good restaurants and nightlife in Windsor, as well as our business location in sunny Slough. We experienced an accident to one of our guests during our trip resulting in hospitalisation (nothing related to the hotel!) and the staff were incredibly helpful and supportive extending even to the offer of visiting our colleague in hospital to make sure she wasn't disoriented or lonely as a foreigner enduring the travails of the British National Heath Service.

Ideal for leisure travel in the area and also as a less formal location for business travel guests - for those that wish to avoid the boring plastic of most Airport area hotel chains - expect a relaxed stay and enjoy the charms of nearby Windsor, Eton and Datchet in the evenings.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Wauneta, Nebraska
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Very quaint hotel. I was very impressed by the friendly and kind manner in which we were treated. We booked this hotel because it was close to London. The day we wanted to go, my husband became ill. The owner offered to take him to the doctor and pick him up if we still wanted to go into the city. Three of us, all women, decided to go by ourselves and the owner actually drove us to the train station. They really did go above and beyond!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We booked this ` hotel` some months ago for a 1 Saturday night stay in May . On arrival at 5 pm our first impression from the outside was " has it closed down ? " That really was what it looked like.
The door was locked but after several pushes on the door bell it was opened by a guy, who I took to be the owner who led us into the dark unlit reception smelling of what I took to be curry. He did not put any lights on and left us there, explaining he was working out on a running machine and returned to it, explaining someone would see to us from next door ?
I made the mistake of leaning on the reception counter while waiting and when I moved my arms I realized the counter was sticky.
The young lady who did come was very polite and (still in the dark) gave us a key and showed us to our room. ( 12 )
The room with a small window looked onto the Slough road and the M4 was a short distance further away which is why we asked for , and was confirmed in the booking to have a garden view at the back.
Previously, while we waited at reception we looked into the unlit dinning room and bar both of which were closed.
When we booked , looking at the pictures of the hotel we expected to be able to relax in a nice bar area and if the weather was nice, sit and have a drink or 2 and maybe something to eat after a busy day in Windsor.
This was gone 5 pm and nothing gave the impression that the bar would be opened, although when we inquired about what time the bar opened the young lady did say she would get us a drink if we wanted one.
The overall impression of the room was very` tired`. We looked at each other and both just said `no` and went downstairs to find the young lady on the phone ( still in the dark) trying to sort out a room facing away from the M4. We said we were not staying but in all fairness she would not take a payment that we offered,she also mentioned that there had been a bereavement a month or 2 ago and they were not up to speed which is why I only marked it as poor.
We have many weekends away and stay in all types of accomodation and we can honestly say this was the most uninviting hotel / B & B we have ever stayed in . Years ago I stayed in many `builders B & Bs` and this reminded me of so many.
I do not write this review lightly, as livelihoods to a degree rely on trip advisor and alike. But also people will spend their hard earned money staying at this place and they need to be made aware .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AlanYv0nne

Travellers are raving about these Datchet hotels

bath
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Nice little hotel, BUT....be warned...they don't do evening food at weekends. It's about a 15 min walk into Datchet if you want something to eat. Also saw no sign of the complementary newspaper advertised on their website and the lounge bar didn't appear to be open for a drink. Not bad though and would consider staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jerang
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a weekend visit to Legoland with family. It is a quaint Tudor Style country hotel! It is in a great location for the sites around Windsor, Eaton & Slough. It is about 20 min from Heathrow, 10 from Legoland and within walking distance from Windsor. The decor needs a little refreshing, but rooms were spotless and comfortable with all amenities. The staff were excellent and if there was anything you needed they would try to get it. Breakfast in the morning was enough to keep you going most of the day and was included in the price. The only down side was there was no resturant at the weekend but barfood was available. I would have no problem returning to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

The last time I stayed in Datchet, I saw this hotel and ear marked it for my next visit. I wasn't disappointed. It's a fraction out of the village centre ( but within easy walking distance) this gives it the benefit of tranquility and, as a business traveller, loads of private parking. There is a large garden to the rear which gives views of Windsor Castle.
The room was spotlessly clean and benefitted from air con. The shower room was like wise.
Breakfast is ordered from a menu but the staff will cater for your needs if at all possible. The ingredients used for the full English were locally sourced and the quality showed - particularly with their free range farm eggs.
The staff were delightful, as previous reviewers have said, helpful, friendly, a wealth of local knowledge but not 'in your face'.
I enjoyed my stay here and look forward to returning.

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed here as had early flight from Heathrow. Very convenient for the airport, took me half an hour, although am sure there was a quicker route than the one I took.

The staff are friendly and welcoming, check in was quick, having booked through booking.com.

The room was disappointing, very tired. Definitely needed freshening up. Not that it was dirty or anything but felt like it hasn't been touched since the mid 1980s.

Plus the wifi didn't work at any point during my stay. Is one of the things I look for when choosing a place to stay and can be inconvenient when not available.

Overall not bad, convenient location but the decor is a bit tired.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Datchet
Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection
Holiday Inn Express Windsor
Holiday Inn Slough - Windsor
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 18 in Windsor
Travelodge Windsor Central Hotel

Been to Datchet Mead Hotel? Share your experiences!