“Enjoy a fun night out”
Review of Maitland Gaol

Maitland Gaol
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Unlock the gates of Maitland Gaol today, where visitors are invited to 'serve time' learning about the facility, past prisoners and daring escapes. A key anchor attraction of the Hunter, Maitland Gaol housed some of Australia's most hardened and notorious criminals and has a vibrant history spanning more than 150 years. Open 7 days, Maitland Gaol offers visitors the opportunity to indulge in a world class self guided audio tour. Additionally, themed guided day tours and torchlight tours by night are regularly available and are a great way to interpret this unique attraction. If you have any questions about Maitland Gaol, please contact our Customer Service team. We look forward to welcoming you to Maitland Gaol soon.
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Great venue for an interesting party, lots of room. History of Maitland Gaol is fascinating, and the staff very helpful to organise a function

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We were taken on a tour as part of a Christmas party dinner. it was appalling. There were no torches supplied the guide was an ex inmate. He supplied far too much information about the sexual activities of the inmates for a mixed company crowd. If we were young offenders who he was trying to scare straight It MAY have been appropriate, but for a Christmas party it was not. The tour group was too big and by the time the stragglers had caught up the talking was half over and the guide moved on. The most I heard during the tour was "any questions?" but not the details. We stumbled our way around in the dark and couldn't wait for it to finish. 1/4 of the tour did a runner and headed back to the gate. The tour was too long and no toilets were pointed out and half needed them. Would never recommend it to anyone. Poor.

2  Thank DebGreg5
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I took the self guided tour and even though it was broad daylight I was a bit of a chicken going solely on my own. Although it is most thrilling at night, during the day is still eerie and sad. The ipod you listen to about the stories of the people held there is quite informative (1.5 to 2 hours), as I was carefully plodding around. There was no one there but myself and it didn't disappoint. Thinking I would see an apparition, I was not disappointed. This is not for the sceptics or an atheist who don't believe in a ghosts. I must say I did definitely catch a photo of a spirit head on my phone, whilst I carefully skimmed my photo looking in the background a couple of weeks after the tour. I was laughing and thinking to myself that day, would I catch anything. I certainly DID!!! Anyhow I can confirm this because my whole family told me it was a picture of someone's face and it was!!! I wish it was a log or something that looked like a background, but it definitely was a human head with eyes, nose and mouth looking at me in B block, the area where George Savvas was held with Ivan Milat. So I believe even though you can't see them, your camera can certainly catch something. Kinda chilling!!!

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We did the ex-warder guided tour, but you can also do an ex-inmate or self guided tour. This is a most interesting tour with lots of "inside" stories and an eye opening look at what life was like for both the warders and inmates. Our tour guide spoke very clearly, and was a wealth of information for those of us who find this type of thing fascinating. Well worth the $20 ticket!

1  Thank Valerie M
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Well they did it hard here,it was a hot day and i bet the airconditioning wasnt working in the cells,hard to believe that it was only shut a few years back