Admittedly, I am not a connoisseur of 5 star hotels but for around $300 a night - this hotel offers pretty good value. The most basic villas are large and have all the amenities you need - including free wifi, free soft drinks and beer in your mini bar, cable tv, DVD, sound system (including an iPod dock) and lovely toiletries refreshed daily. In addition, you get a hefty and personally made brekkie AND all non-motorised activities are included (snorkelling, kayaking, paddle boards, guided walks etc). The infinity pool is gorgeous and there's great snorkelling off a secluded beach. Plus you get one trip to Gayana Eco Resort. I am guessing that bad weather could push rubbish into the area, as there's lots around KK and the nearby fishing villages - BUT while I was there the water was crystal clear, so clear I could take a photo of a stingray on the ocean floor and capture its fluorescence whilst standing on the jetty! It was also impeccable compared to the three other islands I visited. As for being 'abandoned' - this resort will never be teaming with people and its less crowded that the other resorts on Gaya. As some of the villas are fully equipped, I think some guests don't really venture far. You also get far less day trippers. The main annoyance, was actually other guests (sorry to say), more specifically their kids - particularly around the pool. The staff are genuine, sweet, helpful and friendly. On the negative side - food is really expensive and there is no snack shop or boutique, so if you want anything you need to pay a lot or pay to go to KK. I'm also not sure it's worth the money for a plunge pool villa, unless you're on a romantic holiday or honeymoon...I really feel some of the VERY bad reviews are highly undeserved and potentially a result of bad luck, unrealistic expectations and/or one off bad experiences. I'm sure they're very genuine, but don't let that put you off. The overwhelming majority of positive reviews seem more accurate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As sensual and exotic as the hibiscus flower that bears its name, Bunga Raya Island Resort is a luxurious jewel set on a coral reef island just off the coast of Borneo. A secluded island hideaway of 47 timbered villas, the resort is framed by white sand beach and virgin jungle. Hillside villas reflect the simplicity of the Borneo architectural style. A hilltop spa blends the finest Traditional Asian and Western treatments using restorative powers of indigenous plants and oils. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Odigeo, Booking.com, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Ctrip TA, Southall Travel, Priceline, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Bunga Raya Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bunga Raya Island Resort And Spa
- Bunga Raya Island Hotel Kota Kinabalu