We stayed at Bunga Raya on 10-12th August 2013, chose 2 bedroom Villas from the website.
The check in at Jesselton was swift, despite the problem they charged us twice (details below)
The boat ride was about 20 minutes. As soon as we arrived at the Bunga Raya jetty, the view was awesome.
The room that we stayed in awesome! Despite the bugs and mosquitoes which is natural, the layout was impressive, not to mention the BOSE radio really keeping the mood up despite we were having a thunderstorm during the first and 2nd evening. Free mini bar (soft drinks and beer) and mineral water was great.
Our first lunch at Koi restaurant was poor, the tom yam soup is far from great, fortunately the “average” satay saved us.
We headed to Pantai Grill for dinner, the food was great, being an Indonesian we asked for spicy chilli padi which the chef literally picked fresh from a little garden near the restaurant. The price was high which is understandable. We had a 2nd dinner here on the following day.
The next day we headed for Gayana Island for lunch, which is more reasonably priced and the seafood was extremely good, the view was also fantastic!
We swam at the beach which is awesome, and the swimming pool was awesome too!
Overall the whole experience was great, except for the cons which I will be describing below
1. They charged me twice on 2 different credit cards, I’m still waiting for their response to this problem.
First I made a reservation ONLINE under my Master Card
Then I was notified that it didn't get through so I gave my other Visa Card
It didn't get through either so again I gave another "C" Visa Card and it got through.
On 10th August, when I arrived at Jesselton terminal, they asked and swipe my Master Card
On 12th August when I checked out, again they swipe my Master Card
But they said it was a mistake and they didn't get any fund from my Mastercard and they needed "C" Visa Card , so they swiped that too.
Today I checked my BOTH my Master Card and my C VISA Card and it turns out that they charged me ON BOTH CARDS.
2. The food was below average at the Koi Restaurant, the Pantai Grill was okay but the menu is very limited, head to Gayana for much better seafood/chinese food.
3. There is a “manager” if I’m not mistaken “Benny”, which shows unpleasant attitude and being grumpy during our stay. There was also a “manager” who we saw on the second day, on the contrary was very polite and friendly, too bad he didn’t stay on the island instead.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As sensual and exotic as the hibiscus flower that bears its name, Bunga Raya Island Resort is a luxurious jewel set on a coral reef island just off the coast of Borneo. A secluded island hideaway of 47 timbered villas, the resort is framed by white sand beach and virgin jungle. Hillside villas reflect the simplicity of the Borneo architectural style. A hilltop spa blends the finest Traditional Asian and Western treatments using restorative powers of indigenous plants and oils. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Preferred Hotels, Booking.com, Expedia, Southall Travel, Ebookers, Agoda, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Bunga Raya Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bunga Raya Island Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Bunga Raya Island Resort And Spa