“I don't know what everyone is moaning about ”
Review of Gaya Island Resort

Gaya Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Pulau Gaya
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

There seams to be a lot of moaning on here for jack all.

You are stuck with know where to go..... Well what do u expect - you are on a island that is covered by a Forrest- if u are expecting to find a shopping mall in the middle then this place is not for you - stay on the mainland.

Granted the food is really expensive - ie one beer, one cocktail a bottle of water and two main meals £70, but I expected this so if you are considering coming here on a budget don't.

People have moaned that u couldn't walk in the forest by yourself - are u fing stupid?!?!? It was only a few weeks ago a British guy died only a few mins away from the camp site , this is not a park and can be very dangerous!

The staff are utterly amazing - ignore all bad reviews they are attentive, friendly and alway a smile on their face!

Jamie who does the nature walk is very knowledgable this is defo worth a try !

Even though we didn't pay for a suit the rooms are amazing - everything is in there.

People have moaned about the walk to the hotel room - I've had worse stop complaining!! My room was the furthest away!!! And I'm a lazy sod !

And I'm giving this place such a glowing review even though on our first night we had to be rushed to another room at one in the morning because a MASSIVE TREE fell and caved in the room right next to us - granted this has never happened before so don't worry!! Everyone was very calm and we felt very safe!

Last but not least there are two ( of my knowledge ) resident monitor lizards living in the pond this is a sight!! I feel humbled to be here this place is so beautiful and I will miss it when I leave - thank you gaya island resort :)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine A
Kirinjit, General Manager at Gaya Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear Guest.

Thank you very much for taking your time to share with us your stay experiences and we are happy to read that your stay was a memorable and relaxing one.

I have shared your comments with Jamie(Junior Naturalist) and congratulated him on his great customer service during his walks with you and all our guests. He is a man of a great knowledge of the jungle and we are very happy to have Jamie in our team.

I am sorry on the inconveniences that your self have to go through on the day of where we have to move your room to another villa due to the uprooted tree incident. We are located in the tropics and we are very sorry on the incident and I would like to thank you very much on your kind understanding on the incident nature. I would like to assure you that we do carry on-going checks of our resort grounds to ensure our areas are safe and secure for you and our guests all the times.

Again, thank you very much for staying with us and I look forward to welcome you back to Gaya Island Resort in future.

Till we meet again, I would like to wish you, family and friends a best year ahead.

There are newer reviews for Gaya Island Resort

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Don't get me wrong, Gaya Island Resort will most likely be a lot of peoples dream destination, but for us it didn't really tick all the boxes.

Let's start with the good stuff. Location, don't worry, it doesn't get much better than this. Rooms, yes we paid for the more expensive type, but I'd recommend you do to, amazing standard for a deserted island. We even had a gang of monkeys raiding the mini-bar storage next to our room one morning, which some might find frightening or chaotic, but I'd put it down as one of the most best experiences we had on the island. All facilities we're pretty much top notch and the basic architecture/layout is well planned, although be prepared for a hike to some of the better rooms (since they are all on an elevation above the main structure).

Now for some critique. First off, and this can't actually be viewed as the resorts fault, but the fact that you have absolutely no choice for food apart from their own limited menu is slightly depressing. Not terribly depressing, but a little. Don't worry though, their food is good, not mind-blowing and molecular, but still well prepared (especially the Chinese dishes).

Gaya Island Resort on the whole appears to suffer from a slight case of bad management, I'm sure they all mean well (receptionists, waiters etc.), but nobody seems to have trained them to actually achieve their purpose in an effective and professional way. So be prepared to explain, wait and have some patience.

I guess the most sub-par experience happened while attempting to order room service. We simply didn't feel like walking back to the restaurant one evening so dialed 0 instead. What subsequently followed was a long discussion as to what was actually available to eat, then some back and fourth regarding our choice of wine, accompanied by what must have been at least a 55 minute wait, only to receive the wrong wine. Everybody makes mistakes, but it was just such a struggle for them from the minute I dialed. Hopefully you're reading this Gaya and address the issue for future travellers.

As for the "gilded prison" title, well it just felt that way for us I guess. No choice for food, extra charge to drive us over to the nearby resort (even though we could have kayaked), restrictions on going in to the jungle by ourselves and just a general feeling of being caught in a web of extra charges on everything.

Oh and by the way, snorkelling was definitely not the best either, so don't make the trip for that reason.

Gaya Island Resort is for people who love to stay by the pool, all the time, and as such, it excels.

Nuff said.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Kirinjit, General Manager at Gaya Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and I am very sorry on the room service short-fall, as shared by your kind self.

I would like to share, due to the layout of the resort and concept, we don't offer/provide room service. Working on your comment with the team, we record, while the team tried to accommodate your room service request as part of out-of-norm request, the delays ensued as further checks were required with chef on the arrangements. We have shared and briefed the team on the importance of ensuring a prompt and seamless service delivery. I am very sorry on the overall inconveniences caused. Moving forward, on-going basis, we conduct knowledge training for our staffs and your comments were also shared and worked on as a tool for our improvements.

Again, I am very sorry on on the areas that did not met your expectations and I apologize on all the inconveniences caused.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This has to be one of my favourite places I have ever stayed in. The location of this hotel on Gaya Island is my idea of paradise. The wildlife and scenery was beautiful. The hotel itself is nicely laid out, the rooms have lovely views and are of a high standard. There is a nice bar to sit and have a drink before dinner. The restaurants are probably the only slight down side to this place, especially the upstairs restaurant which is built up to be something special, the service is good but the food isn't anything to rave about and it is a bit pricey you are a captive audience so that's to be expected. There is good snorkelling to be had just of the pier and also trips to a private beach.
I am already looking at when I can go back to Gaya.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank venusphe

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Gaya Island Resort.

Thank you very much for choosing Gaya Island Resort for your recent break and we are very happy to read that overall, you enjoyed the facilities, activities and services offered.

We note your comment on the food prices and I would like to share that our prices are align with other 05 star resorts around Kota Kinabalu of majority of offerings on our menus. We apologize for the inconveniences caused.

Again, thank you very much for supporting us and we look forward to welcome you back in future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We spent 5 nights at this resort in mid-June with our boys aged 13 and 15.

- We loved the property and it's architecture.
- The service of the hotel staff is probably the best we have seen in Asia. A special shout-out to the restaurant staff!
- The property offers a wide array of activities which will kept us busy when we wanted to be and stay relaxed when we chose to.

We were a little concerned about the food having read some of the earlier reviews but we thought it was very good. The hotel's breakfast is unlike other hotels/resorts which tend to have a large spread of food. Instead, it offers a fixed (but varied) breakfast menu + a small buffet of a selection of breads, cereal, and some Asian breakfast dishes. The chefs are very accommodating and are happy to whip up something different if asked (and if they have the ingredients). In fact, the best meal we had was when we handed the chef our catch from our fishing trip - a dish that wasn't on the menu!

If we had to gripe, it would be about the state of the rubbish in the sea. It's a shame the area is designated as a marine park and yet the water, especially closer to the village on stilts, is strewn with rubbish. We found rubbish (plastic bottles, styrofoam boxes, plastic bags, food wrappers etc) even on our snorkelling trips, both at Gaya Resort's private beach and at 2 of the marine park designated islands - Sapi and Menukan.

It's a shame the government isn't taking action to educate the locals on the harm this is doing to the marine park.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank dhilaws

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Gaya Island Resort- a walking tropic resort.

Me and team is happy to note on your positive stay and we are very happy that your stay was relaxing one. I have shared your comments with the team and have congratulated them on their nobble efforts.

The region do face the rubbish challenge. On-going basis, we do address this issue with the ministry of tourism as well as the authorities. Not taking this as an excuse from our part and to keep our areas clean, a team of gardeners are assigned along the resort beaches to have it in clean and pristine conditions for our guests.

Again, thank you very much for staying with us and Me and Team look forward to welcome you back to Gaya Island Resort in future.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I went with my husband as a honeymoon trip to kk. We only booked one night in this island resort and I wrote an email telling them that it's our honeymoon trip. Upon arrival on this beautiful island I have received a bunch of rose. That was very sweet. The hotel is clean and quiet, there were hornbills around the hotel. My husband is a bird lover he was so excited about seeing real wild hornbills. There's a surprise from the hotel that our bed were set with towel swans and rose petals. We enjoyed a lot in the resort, but one drawback was the food in the resort was actually so-so and relatively expensive.
It's definitely a great get-a-way place and relaxation from hectic worklife.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Venus c

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Gaya Island Resort - A walking resort!

I would like to thank you very much on your stay and I am happy to read that your stay was a memorable and relaxing one.

Again, thank you very much for choosing Gaya Island Resort and I look forward to welcome you back in future.

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

If 3 people per room how much one night?? pls reply my question,because next month I will go there ,I hope can stay there ,so I need to know how much your charge,pls be fast and thanks

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank yongk374
Kirinjit, General Manager at Gaya Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Gaya Island Resort.

Many thanks on your posting and we have sent you the information requested to your Trip Advisor message center. We look forward to hear from you soonest and should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to email us at travelcentre@ytlhotels.com.my.

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

It is magnificent in every possible way! Snorkelling a brief walk outside my villa was wonderful, then I went on the special Coral Snorkelling Adventure! A lovely boat ride only to be even more amazed by the spectacular underwater garden - as good as my snorkelling while in the Maldives. The sunset cruise was breathtaking with the staff stopping at nothing to make our experience pure enchantment! I am a very picky eater and the dining staff could not be more gracious in meeting my every modifcation and requirement! Best of all is the Spa Village where my treatments were off-the-charts, unspeakably glorious. . .words are inadequate.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Gaya Island Resort - A walking resort.

Many thanks on your review and I am happy to read that your stay was a memorable and relaxing stay and the team were exceptional in their respective areas as you experienced the services and facilities.

I would like to thank you very much for choosing Gaya Island Resort for your stay and I look forward to welcome you back in future.

Thank you very much and all the best.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Gaya
Gayana Eco Resort
Gayana Eco Resort
#3 of 3 in Pulau Gaya
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai
#3 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
#6 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Gaya Island Resort? Share your experiences!