“Honeymooners' paradise”

Gayana Marine Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Pulau Gaya
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My new husband and I spent the first week of our honeymoon at Gayana resort in December 2013. it was absolutely amazing! We had the best time we could have hoped for. The bungalows were just gorgeous, the food was delicious, the service was absolutely outstanding. The natural environment is stunning, as is the resort itself. We couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We booked this hotel as an escape from noisy bustling Hong Kong, and with that respect ee got what we were asking for. Beautiful silence. The construction of the single cabins on wooden pilars give you an interesting view to the vast variety of beautiful and interesting fish of all colours sizes and shapes, they even have a 2m long fish is a basin ouside the hotel, which guests can visit.

Now for the downsides:
There isno beach, only a pool next to the bar (there goes the peacefulness) and of course your own little veranda, that every room has - only the expensive rooms have theirs facing the ocean though.
Service was also not at its best, but ok'ish. We got charged a wrong bill and after some hour long search during check out, while the last boat to the mainland was already waiting to leave, they waived the entire charge even though we did consume something at the dinner in question. Well handled.

All in all an ok experience, but felt the price was too high for what was offered. Still trying to figure out what was 'eco' about the resort ;-)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
TomasAndersen, General Manager at Gayana Marine Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Dear Jan,

Thank you for your feedback it is always valuable to hear where our guest believe we can improve.
I must admit I am saddened to hear you are not aware of what makes us an eco resort.
With 5 full time marine biologists and an onsite marine center it should have been pretty clear we look after our marine environment and give back what mankind has taken. Propagating giant clams, restoring our coral reef and serving only fish from our organic fish farm allows us wear the "eco" mantle.
I hope your travels will bring you back to Sabah and Gayana Eco Resort in which case I shall personally show you our marine ecology research center named MERC.

I wish you all the best for 2014.

regards

Tomas

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Just visited Gayana Eco Resort for our honey moon. The resort is very nice and beatiful environment. The service are also excellent. Especially the lady at the receiption "Nora", her arrangement and reminder are very helpful. The gentlemen "Affenoy", "Hafiz" and "AK Ibrahim" at the bar are very friendly, giving us lot of advises on drink and teaching us how to play American Pool :).
Overall, this is excellent resort and I would love to visit them again soon
Thankyou very much.

Mr. Chan

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Out of this world location, our first stay at an "eco" resort there was a lot to inspire about this place. "Eco" features included wonderful work being done at MERC (Marine Ecology Research Centre) on coral and giant clams. Beyond this there were not many characteristics to support the title eg evidence of recycling, solar power, environmental waste treatment. But that's OK I guess, still enough for the marketing. Staff were all great, kind, anticipating needs, very helpful. Food choices excellent, activities good, photo opportunities phenomenal. One last thing, there is a sister resort on the other side of the island (20 min boat ride away) which is where the advertised gym is located. Bit rough to charge 80 ringits to get there and back. Overall we were very satisfied and would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank David O
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My friend and I stayed here in July 2009. We had a wellness package. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It's a very relaxing place. You can feed the turtles if you want. The beds were amazing, the rooms spacious and clean.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank MarijkeVdA
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I've just spent a week in the most wonderful place. So much to do, or so little...it's up to you. It's only small and very quiet but being able to swim off my deck into a stunning lagoon was wonderful. Being small it was nice to know that I also had use of the facilities at the sister resort, Bunga Raya. It's on the same island, you just catch a boat around and it has the most incredible beach. I spent the day on the beach, had lunch in Pantai Geill, which is on the beach and amazing! Really cold beers and awesome BBQ! I came back to Gayana and went back to Bunga Raya for dinner. The staff were so friendly and made me feel like I was staying there! The restauants T Gayana are fantastic. At Alu Alu you walk in and the staff walk you thru the tanks of fresh fish, crayfish, giant prawns and shellfish. They explain the best way to have it cooked, I opted for a crayfish one night cooked 2 ways half and half....devine. The next night I chose a tiger grouper cooked 2 ways. Both nights I started with fresh oysters natural. Macac Restaurant has a mix of Asian and Weztern food. I opted for Asian every time and was never disappointed. The staff went out of their way to make sure I was always happy, they are so genuinely friendly. If you stay in a lagoon villa, you have to have your breakfast bought to you by boat, it's such an experience. I can't really name specific staff because they were all so wonderful. As someone travelling on their own, they made feel like I was part of a family at both resorts. I'll be back next year for sure!!!

Room Tip: Chose the room with the deck you swim straight off. It's like having your own personal tropical...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We have just returned from 4 amazing nights in the above resort.Where to begin;from start to finish ,this was an amazing place to spend time and we did not want to leave.
We arrived at Jesselton Point by pre arranged driver which cost approx £20 who collected us from the airport and gave us a very helpful summary of what to do and where to go during the drive.As we arrived unfortunately a storm blew up and they advised us that the boat would not depart until they felt it was safe to do so.We were happy to wait in a nearby bar having a drink until we were advised it was safe to leave.We were all given life jackets and the boats have powerful engines so its a quick ride to the resort.There were staff with umbrellas to welcome us and walk us to our villa ,en route pointing out the resort features,then a tour of our room.We went to the Macac restaurant and had a lovely meal!all freshly prepared.Having read previous reviews ,this is not the cheapest food but nor is it the most expensive I have ever paid for at a five star resort.The portions are very generous and we ate there most days ,lunch and dinner.The surrounding sea has regenerating coral and the most amazing fish to potter about in.Be aware this is next to rainforest and there are wild animals in abundance.This is not a resort for those looking for evening entertainment,this is a quiet peaceful place for a real de stress experience.There is plenty to do if you are happy to snorkel,rainforest walks,mangrove kayaking,diving,canopy walks,trips to Kota Kinabulu or take the boat round to sister resort Bunga Raya a beach side resort very different from Gaya.To sit with a book and relax was bliss.There are not very good WIFI signals but again its a complete escape place if you need constant internet access this is not for you.The Macac restaurant had a good signal sufficient for occasional catch up.My one comment would be boat times ,a few more boats to the mainland would be a bonus but we planned our day around the times and managed.The staff are friendly and welcoming.The maintenance guys were working on the walkways and yes some debris fell into the water but we saw them clearing it up later.The views are amazing and the tranquility.It is not suitable for children or adults who need constant entertainment. It is one of the loveliest places I have ever stayed and would return tomorrow.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
#2 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai
Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai
#9 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
#6 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
#4 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Gayana Marine Resort? Share your experiences!