“Would have been perfect, but Borneo is littered with rubbish...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gayana Eco Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Gayana Eco Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Pulau Gaya
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Would have been perfect, but Borneo is littered with rubbish...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Secluded and very quiet. Beautiful and serene. Chinese seafood restaurant was great. Hot breakfast a-la-carte served instead of buffet breakfast. Best massage I have had in a long time although pricey.
Unfortunately plagued with red tide at the time of our visit end March, therefore by midday the water was an opaque reddish-brown colour but clear first thing in the morning. Rubbish littered in the water was disappointing to see, however we also stayed on the mainland at Shangri-la Rasa Ria and there was rubbish along their beach too so it doesn't seem to be isolated to Gaya Island. Really isn't much to do on the island, so if you're not one for lounging by the pool all day every day, 2 nights stay will suffice. Otherwise you will need to catch their ferry to the mainland which does not come very often. Staff were a little slow with some requests for extra pillows and sometimes when you called to front desk, call went unanswered.

Room Tip: Lagoon room was sufficient as direct ocean access was pointless during red tide.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TomasAndersen, General Manager at Gayana Eco Resort, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Family_of_thre3,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you had to experience Sabah during the worst red tide ever. However I am please to tell you that our crystal clear waters have returned to us and the rubbish no where to be found. I agree something must be done in the long run for Sabah to remain with a "green image", trust me we lobby as hard as we can.
As I have stated before, our environmental efforts, especially when it comes to marine ecology, goes well beyond what most people could imagine. I do hope you had a chance to get emerged in our Marine Ecology Research Centre so you could see and share the efforts we put in to "giving back to nature what mankind has taken". For sparkling turquoise water and very little rubbish best time to visit is March - November. This is when the wind blows from the southwest as opposed to the northeast which is the direction our resorts are facing. Please do let me know should you come back to Sabah.

Thanks

Tomas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

then things went downhill. We was picked up from the airport then taken to the ferry port and waited for the 230pm boat. Things were going along ok and staff were friendly and helpful. Then a short boat ride to the resort although make sure your baggage goes on the right boat as one of our bags ended up on a boat going to their sister resort, Bunga raya. On seeing the resort from the boat we decided to go for an upgrade to the Palm Villas which looked stunning. They managed to upgrade us and only had to wait 30 mins or so for the room to be prepared. This was fine but after emailing the hotel for a few weeks regarding a trip to view the Orang-utans and an email to confirm it had been reserved and at check in they would give us the details, I found that nobody knew anything when asked. Didnt think much of it at first.
We went to the room which was impressive and the views were amazing and the room too.
After a bit of time looking closer things started going downhill from there. Our beach towels were stained with bleach, wifi was an absolute joke and you was lucky to get an image sent let alone anything else. The TV channels were all fuzzy, ipod dock was useless as its wire had been cut but left there.
Over the next few days tiles dropped off the bathroom wall, breakfast was served to our terrace cold and without cutlery, bedding was changed but the sheets had holes in, wifi wasnt working sometimes and when I asked as had important business files to send, we was told the connection is shared with the macac resaurant and everybody must be using it (I checked and there was 4 people at the restaurant, 2 of which were in the pool), water was dirty and never saw anyone going around cleaning it up. As you can see from one photo there was even a chair floating in the water between the villas and also in another photo you see plastic and detergent bottle. The smell of sewage near the first villas and the macac restaurant was nauseating, and the general choice of food in the restaurants were very limited for western tastes although I appreciate that Asian cliente are better looked after as they would be a larger percentage of customers. Also after the first night, the AC got steadily worse and on our last night for which we had spent the whole day at the sister resort, we got back to find that house keeping had left our main doors open for which the room was like a sauna all night (let alone the fact God knows who could have entered our room with all the terrace doors left open. Very very poor from a security point of view.
Mr Rainer, the manager came over after we complained considering the amount of money we was paying per night but was getting no better than a B and B type service. He apologised for the low quality and said he would be talking to housekeeping and compensated us one night upgrade costs but frankly I am not after the money, I just expect good quality service for what I am paying for. Read my last review where we stayed at the Shangri-La in Boracay 2 weeks before and we got a 1000 times better service for less money.
We went to the Bunga Raya resort a few times as it was better for food options there but even then on the first night the Koi restaurant messed up with my wifes order where she asked for something non spicy as she is allergic but a sauce came with the dish for which numbed her mouth for the rest of the night and couldnt eat. Also service was painfully slow considering the restaurant was only 20% full. The beach grill however is much much better and would recommend eating there if you have to stay at Gayana or Bunga Raya if Asian sea food is not your style.
I did do a diving package and this however was excellent and very memorable and my guide did a great job. Also the trip to see the Orangutans went well and cant really fault it apart from you have to remember it wont feel like a real forest when you think it is on the grounds of a large resort.
Would I go to Borneo again, most definitely yes. Very convenient as it is only under 3 hours from Hong Kong. Would I stay at Gayana or Bunga Raya again? No way!

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 84 which most likely had the best open view towards the sea. Long walk from recep...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank starmanistanbul
Rainer S, Executive Assistant Manager at Gayana Eco Resort, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear starmanistanbul,

As spoken in our conversation at the resort I have noted down all your comments and shared the issues with the team and all responsible leaders immediately. We have recognized our shortcomings in our service in this particular instance which certainly didn’t meet your expectations as well as our standards. Please let me assure you that we have put better control measures in place to guarantee best services for our guests at all times. Preventive maintenance plans also have been scheduled and elaborated for maintaining best conditions of our guest villas. These also include a plan for better cabling to improve wireless internet services.

We do acknowledge and welcome every comment and critique as it enables us to sharpen our efforts in our strive to provide the best of hospitality paired with friendly and effective service quality and therefore we thank you for your contribution of which I have also shared your positive comment with our Dive Base Team.

Regards

Rainer Steinhilber
Executive Assistant Manager
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Employee dishonesty, leaving the stolen chocolate, and most importantly we have not left the hotel, polluted water, a lot of rubbish, but did not follow up on the complaint until we leave. no Staff to clean the rubbish . Overall feeling bad, HK $ 4000 a night. Worth it ?
after returning to Hong Kong. Wrote a letter of complaint to the hotel and no reply. Poor poor poor.

Room Tip: Do not waste money, do not give photo deceive
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tigimilk
TomasAndersen, General Manager at Gayana Eco Resort, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Tigimilk,

We would like to express our sincere apologies to you for the inconvenience experienced while staying at Gayana Eco Resort back in May 2013 (12 months ago).
You will be pleased to know that we have now renovated 80% of all our rooms and upgraded the walkways. more soft furnishing upgrades are earmarked for the next few months.

Thank you.

Tomas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Pros: friendly staff everywhere. They are excellent! Decent restaurants. Spacious room. Nice place to relax. A dessert for 2 pax to celebrate my birthday .

Cons: The electricity suddenly runs out in the mid night. My mum was so scared and we called number 0 to the guest service assistant but the phone wasnt put through or nobody answer the phone! We can reach no one in the night! Then I called every number on the list but in vain. It seems that nobody was there! After 5 minutes with horror, no air con, no light, the electricity restored suddenly. That was kinda crazy. My mum didn't have a good sleep after that and she doesn't feel good the next morning. So I asked for a late check out for 1 hour to 12:00 as I told them the reason why we need it. But then the staff seek their "manager", and told me our room was reserved for another guest so the latest check out time would be 11:30. I wondered if they really CANNOT make up our room within 2 hours for the next guest? Furthermore as I observed the resort is not at a full occupance and they can switch the room assignment beforehand. This really turned me down. So we checked out at 11am finally and the staff escort us kindly to the jetty.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank locsyk
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

First of all, if you have much concerns of the water quality (actually, mainly falling leaves, twigs, occasionally food packages near the pillars of the water Bungalow) in the water, don't go! since the water condition really depends on the weather, and the Bangalore were constructed along the mangrove, it is completely natural and make sense to found some trash in the water as well as sometime the monkeys leaving the food packages into the water.

However, the water was not bad at all, we could swim and do some snorkelling during the daytime. We spend 2 nights there, and came to a conclusion that the water condition varies from time to time too. It was crystal clear in the morning, many fishes could be spotted, it turned turbid in the afternoon when the red tides came, yet we still swam there, not a disaster at least. Before sunset, strong wind caused some big waves, difficult to snorkel.

Other than that, everything is just perfect!!! People are nice & helpful. Infinity pool is a cool feature, breakfast is good, Chinese seafood restaurant is delicious! Considering the price, it is worth to enjoy such a lovely place (very quiet n beautiful beach in Bunga Raya resort, we got a boat transfer to there in the afternoon for free). You would feel like being isolated from the real world. Amazing place!

Lastly, staying at Gayana eco resort is not really about enjoying luxury room or facilities or live like a king; it is all about an experience of living in the natural environment as close as possible with excellent service and facilities at 5 stars standard!

I have no complaint or regret at all. It was a perfect decision to stay there. Definitely we will go back again!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pukpukstay
Newbury, New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I am posting this review since I have been unable to get a response from the owner or management.

I am from the state of New Hampshire in the United States. My son and his wife live in Taiwan where they are both teachers. My wife and I recently visited Sabah with them in early February 2014. It was our second visit. On this trip we were quite disappointed by what we experienced at the Gayana Eco Resort.

The purpose of coming to Sabah was to visit close friends. After spending nearly a week with them in the interior we ended our trip at the Gayana Eco Resort. This visit was eagerly anticipated as we viewed the resort’s brochure and website. The resort is advertised as a “five-star” experience with beautiful beaches, incredible snorkeling and diving, wonderful restaurants and top level service - in short, heaven on earth. This marketing is a gross misrepresentation of the true Gayana Eco Resort.
As it turns out, we should have more closely investigated the resort’s reputation. Our experience there was one-star for many reasons.

As we departed the pier in the boat from Kota Kinabalu on February 2nd , we immediately noticed an extensive amount of trash floating in the water. We had become accustomed to trash on the land, as this seems to be a widespread problem throughout Sabah, but we were surprised to see it in the sea, especially so close to an “Eco-Resort”.

As we arrived at the resort we first noticed that the Red Tide was present in the sea. As a result, the sea was unapproachable and the shell fish inedible. This was unexpected, but we were told that this was “Red Tide season”. Then, we saw the trash. Without providing details, there was every kind of trash imaginable. It was dense, thick and nauseating. I have attached photos to provide a sense of the true nature of this disaster.

We spoke with your management about this situation. They said that this trash situation occurs from time-to-time, but especially every year during the Monsoon season from November through February. They blamed it on a river flowing from the mainland. Apparently, squatters live on the banks of the river and use it as their trash receptacle. Management took no responsibility for its effect on the resort. I observed that little is being done to ameliorate the trash infestation. No barriers are in place in the sea and I only saw one staff member picking up trash. The problem is certainly not mentioned in the brochure as a potential problem affecting the visitor experience.

So, what is left to experience at an island resort surrounded by a putrid sea? The beach was littered with garbage, kayaking was an unthinkable activity and every other aspect of life on the island was compromised as a result. We considered a walk into the jungle, but we were told that this needed to be scheduled in advance since a guide was required.

There are other problems that plague the Gayana Eco Resort. The sewage/drainage system emits a sewer smell into each unit and even the restaurants. We had to change the first room that we were given because of the smell only to find that the next room had a similar problem, although less so at first. The solution to the smell proposed by the staff was to burn aromatherapy candles to mask the sewage odor. At dinner we had to relocate our table to get as far away as possible from the stench. In my son’s room they discovered water bubbling up from the drain in their shower when the occupants in the adjacent room showered.

There are other annoyances that one would not expect at a “five-star” resort. The promised Wi-Fi barely worked. It was intermittent and slow. Normally, this would not be a big problem at this type of resort. After all we were not there to surf the web. But, when one is trapped in a room with not much else to do, Wi-Fi becomes more important. And, the greeting process, both at the peer and the island, was disorganized, impersonal and mass market.

During our meeting with management we attempted to get a refund of our $500 per night per room charge. They offered us no recourse except to provide us with a complimentary dinner that evening – the dinner when had to relocate our table. The management took no responsibility for any of the problems, saying that the trash problem was beyond their control.

This experience at the Gayana Eco Resort highlights a problem for the resort and one, also, for Sabah, Malaysia.

The resort can no longer call itself “five-star” with the commensurate pricing. They cannot guarantee that visitors will experience a lush tropical “eco-paradise”. If they continue to stay in business they must boldly warn prospective visitors that they might experience trash in the sea, declining facilities and red tide during three months of the year. Fully warned, the potential guests can then make a conscious decision to visit, or not. My suggestion is that you close down the Gayana Eco Resort until you fix all of the problems. Otherwise, you will continue to be guilty of gross misrepresentation. We were not the only visitors at this time and at other times, who have had this type of experience at the Gayana Eco Resort.

The problem of trash is likely not something that the resort can solve on its own. This is a national problem that must be solved by the government. If Malaysia believes that tourism will be a significant part of the economy, then a comprehensive plan must be implemented immediately to fix the underlying causes.

One thing is for sure. If it is not fixed, there will not be a tourism economy. People will go elsewhere.

As for my visit, I expect that the resort will issue me a refund for the approximately $2,000 USD that my son I spent for lodging - that is if they will ever respond to me. I spent other money in the restaurants, which was not insignificant. That is theirs to keep.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank SunapeeSam
TomasAndersen, General Manager at Gayana Eco Resort, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear SunapeeSam,

Thank you so much for highlighting the flaws of your stay back in early February, I agree the water was less than attractive during this particular time. I also did read in our reports that we had an issue with our grey water pumps in the phase of rooms you were staying in, hence the smell from the drain.
We more than a lot of our compatriots, understands the devastating effect rubbish has on tourism and our lives in general. This issue is not just a Malaysian issue it is a worldwide problem, including the United States. I am not sure if you have ever heard about the Great Pacific garbage patch it makes riveting reading and highlights the damage we all do to our mother earth.
Due to the fact that mankind takes from nature and gives very little back, we actually do a lot to ensure that the current marine environment will be around for future generations to enjoy. As you would know, our Marine Ecology Research Centre or MERC as we call it, is all about giving back to nature. We propagate giant clams which acts as filters to our sea (some are already locally extinct). We also restore the depleted coral reefs and since this began fish have come back in much greater numbers. Most importantly we invite the local community and school children to our centre where we educate them in how to treat our marine environment. This is an effort which does not come without a considerable cost and completely without government subsidies if I may add.
As for the red tide, this is the first time during my 4 years in Borneo I have ever seen it to this extend. Normally it is a small patch which disappears after a few days. This time the red tide was all over Kota Kinabalu incl. the northern beaches and lasted for 6 weeks. Red tide is a natural phenomenon also known as algae bloom and it happens all over the tropics at different times of the year. Since we breed our own fish (another sustainable effort) there was never a question of our guest being in danger eating fresh seafood.
The rubbish dumping in South East Asia is a problem and it does take a great amount of political will to sort out. We lobby the local legislators to do more and you will be pleased to hear that a long term plan has been underwritten by the government in relation to this issue. Having said this, rubbish around Gayana is not an everyday occurrence. It only ever happens during the North East Monsoon (Nov-Feb) and even during this period it can be here one day and somewhere else the next day. We have nets surrounding both our resorts but tide and big wave movements mean rubbish can still enter our area. When the tide allows us to move in between the villas we will take it out of the sea and ship it to the main land for disposal. Currently we have collected approx. 2000 bags since November last year.
I think it is very unfair to hold us responsible for something which is completely out of our control. How should we react if our guest were caught in a tropical depression or if our sea became infested with jelly fish, would you ask for a full refund then as well? On our website we do share that the North East Monsoon can sometimes bring adverse weather and sea conditions and many of our guest will enquire what this means and we happily explain; so how is this misrepresentation!
To sum it up, I agree you were very unfortunate to arrive just when Gayana was hit by a wave of other peoples rubbish and red tide. However, our hardscape is constantly being upgraded; all rooms bar the ones you stayed in, are less than 1 year old and looking great. Our wifi and TV signal are not perfect but we are looking at ways to improve this. My team did not hide from you, we dealt with the issues the best we could and compensated you and your family with a complimentary dinner for your inconvenience.

Tomas Kastberg Andersen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

This place is unbelievable! Total luxury, with gorgeous surroundings. Everything has been thought about. Waking each morning to your breakfast being delivered by boat to your balcony is special. The staff are so helpful and thoughtful and nothing is to much bother. Before you go you have to remember that Borneo is not the most developed of locations, but this to me is the appeal. Therefore within the expectations this place is real 5 star luxury. We had some trips over to the sister resort, equally as lovely. The pool etc is nicer but to me the accommodation at gayana, in the sea, can't be beaten! Truly sad to leave! Thank you everyone who made our stay so special!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank P100plr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pulau Gaya
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,304 reviews
Hotel Sixty3
Hotel Sixty3
#1 of 91 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Gayana Eco Resort? Share your experiences!