“Relaxation”
Review of Gayana Eco Resort

Gayana Eco Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Pulau Gaya
Reviewed 19 August 2014

we arrive KK in the morning , took a speed boat ending up here Gayana. Very good impression here in . The enviroment so much relaxing , facilities very good but the price is very high though.
Many activities around there and most importantly people over here are very friendly

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SecondWin

Reviewed 8 August 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Martyn S
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed for four nights at the Resort. It looks very nice as all the bungalows are built over water. It also not very crowded, since you have a lot of space and there are not that many bungalows. the name "eco resort" put's one on the wrong foot. The only two eco-things we found wat a green leave, tucked away in a drawer about not changing the towels every day and MERC (the Marine Ecology Research Centre) is situated on the resort. There is a lot of plastic in the water and nobody cares about it. The main boardwalk is made of plastic looking like wood. the rest is for the most hardwood instead of eco-friendly bamboo and not very well maintained. It looks good from a distance, but when you look closer, you see that necessery repairs needs to be done.
We have been diving with the resort dive-facility. They take you to nice but average dive-spots. The dive master is skilled and knows the territory. The boat on the other hand is nog build for diving trips, so the gear is lying on the floor of the boat. For a trip of two boat dives (10:00 - 14:00) the only refreshment is drinking water. this is meager.
In the evening the resort bar plays very load music from it's venue with no windows.
Next to that are there stray dogs and cats. They even come into the restaurant.
It must been said, the staff is very, very friendly and very service minded.
But all in all is this a too expensive resort that does not up live to it's eco name, nor to it's luxury appearance.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul_V_Alkmaar
TomasAndersen, General Manager at Gayana Eco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Paul_V_Alkmaar,

Thank you so much for your feedback. You are absolutely right that preventative maintenance is extremely important. The cracked floor boards has been noticed, we are just waiting for new ones to arrive. The same is the case for our AlangAlang roof straw. Rubbish does from time to time enter our waters and we do attempt to remove it when this occurs, but I agree this does not always happen quickly enough, this is an operational issue.
I am sorry I did not manage to meet you in person so we could discuss the numerous other eco initiatives we do, especially back of house.
As for the "expensive" food in our restaurants we are very much in line with what other island resorts charge and should you wish for local food or a pizza this can be enjoyed at RM50 or less per person, which I think is very reasonable. Obviously our live organic seafood served in our award winning restaurant Alualu is more expensive but very delicious I can guarantee.
On a positive note I am very happy you enjoyed our service and also the MERC.
Thank you for your contribution.

Tomas

Reviewed 31 July 2014

It's my first time spending so much on accommodation.
Check-in took a while because it was crowded, but the experience was alright.
Then we were brought to the island by boat, and been hold on in the restaurant with a lovely welcoming drink.

When we get into our room, we realised we got the room facing the rain forest, while the opposite room is facing the sea, so we called the receptionist to ask for a change. She told us to wait for 10 mins, however we waited for 20 mins, and called back, and been asked to wait for 10 mins again. And, nothing happened.. oh well, we just leave our room to walk around.

Room was alright, bed was comfy.
We spent sometime on the small jetty which is close to the ECO center.
Pool wasn't that fantastic, but it's a good place to snap lots of photos.

Dinner was great (over pricey as it's on an island)
We had great time anyway, but i won't want to come back to this resort again, but will try another resort which is nearby.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AdelineChu
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is by far one of the best resorts I ve been to in Malaysia. The staff are extremely welcoming, warm and sincere . If you are looking for some peace and tranquillity, then I strongly suggest this as an option. Another amazing point about this resort is the fact that it just an apprximately 20-30 mins boat ride to the city , which makes it even more interesting. As for the issue regarding the cleaniness of the water, well, during my 3 night stay there, I was absolutely satisfied and had no complaints on that. I guess it all depends on the season. I strongly recommend everyone to try the Chinese restaurant cause the food there is realllyyyy good. Whats nice ? EVERYTHING ! The breakfast menu however on the other hand was not soo impressive. I would give it about a 6/10 . Finally , i think the most impressive part about this resort is, their promptness in addressing thier client's problems . A special thanks to Mr Tomas for your courtesy and help.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vee_Narain
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed the most exclusive room named palm villa in Gayana Eco for my family journey. Hotel facility and service itself could not meet with other similiar resort, but I may grade as above average as considering natural environment of resort itself. Kota Kinabalu is second time coming, and now I found that Kota has very fantastic under ocean environment. It is excelent for snokling. Last time when I visit Sapi island, it was very disappointed so i actually consider other countru before finding gayana. Gayana Eco was great as expected for snokling. For snokling, it is great to do in the morning at least lunch time. It is the timing of tide goes up and many fish coming. I also tried in ocean view villa area but palm villa area was much more excelent to do snokling. Maybe it is slightly deep than ocean view villa area and that makes different I guess. Anyone can come to palm villa ocean therefore I suggust to go palm villa area for excelent snokling. Furthermore, there was no monkey and moskito kind of bug in the room. You can also see quite big fish in night time through floor glass in the room. Bad thing is that ocean stair was not enough specially when tide was low in afternoon. I cannot climb to ocean stair so I call staff to assist to go up. Also got many scratch in my body during climbing stairs.
I may summary my experience limit to palm villa.
Good- excelent snokling, floor glass view, good view in jakuzi, personal outdoor swimming pool, almost free mini bar, good bed, good surround system for music,always smiling attitude of staff
Bad- shortage of ocean stair, lack of restaurant menu (no korean or japanese food available), guest may have to dig information to get any service(staff only smile and gental response, mostly I request and maybe 8times more called to operator to discuss even to use my music in mobile to run in the room surround system) no beach sand. Beach sand is fully covered by ocean in morning when tide is high. Only small sand coming out after tide goes out. Room price is quite high considering outdoor swimming pool facility and food and other resort facility.

General recommends for except palm villa is below average. The public swimming pool is too small and not so fancy than other like Sutra Harbor or tangjungalru shang grila kind. Restaurant menu is short.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Min Joo K
Reviewed 29 June 2014

All staff was EXTREMELY friendly and helpful. Premises was VERY clean. We loved visiting the sister resort. Spa was amazing. Bar was fun-- free happy hour drinks. it had stormed the nite before we arrived and staff was "cleaning" the ocean! Breakfast was really good.

Room Tip: I'd get the ocean view. We had the Mangrove view--wish we had upgraded.