“Never had a chance to try anything but the bad service”
Review of Lake O'Hara Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yoho National Park
Lake O'Hara Lodge
Reviewed 16 April 2011

I cannot review the hotel. I am sure it is a very nice. I can tell you that I tried booking a room on Feb. 2010 for Aug. 2010 and was informed it was too late for that summer. I immidiately tried to reserve a room for Aug. 2011 - surely I was not late for that. My request was registered but they said I should wait for Dec 2010 - that is when they make the reservations for the summer. I called again Dec. but they did not have an answer for me yet. It seems they give priority to people who have already been to the lodge before. on Jan. I received a polite rejection - they did not have a room for me. It is a shame that the only hotel by the beautiful lake - which is a Canadian nature treasure - is run like a private members club.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
30  Thank Danizel
abmillar, Manager at Lake O'Hara Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2011

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We can certainly appreciate your frustration with trying to secure a reservation at Lake O'Hara Lodge. We are a small, seasonal operation and the demand exceeds availability particularly during the months of July and August. We do give booking priority to our long term, repeat clientele who have continued to support our business over the years, through the good and tough economic times. That said, we welcome and appreciate the new guests who grace our door every season; they continue to be a significant portion of our clientele.

Reviewed 23 November 2010

We stayed two nights in September, 2010 at Lake O'hara Lodge. We stayed at the most expensive cabin called the guide cabins. This was supposed to be a destination away from the madding crowd. But our two nights were spent listening to the loud ruckus from the heater. Talk about sound sleep ! It was sleep with a loud sound that kept us awake both nights.

We had requested Vegetarian meals. Since this is the only place where we could have our meals we were quite shocked when we were served grilled vegetable stack for entree ! The other guests were served Lamb chops with mashed potatoes and vegetables on the side.
When we spoke to the husband and wife owners they were both very rude and dismissed our concerns with comments like 'We can't please everyone' The chef put equal effort in creating our menu' etc etc. They showed no signs of remorse that they shortchanged us.
It was obvious after charging $750.00/Nite they didn't care about a couple of non white,non Canadians. They have these wealthy Canadian clients who reserve lake side cabins year after year who get pampered.
These guide cabins were away from the restaurant with no view to speak of. Any one who attempts to stay here will not be given Lakeside cabins but given these guide cabins. Beware.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
38  Thank Skadi1234
Reviewed 5 October 2010

Take the day bus in if you can't book a stay at the lodge or a cabin and reserve well in advance! That's how we got started 5 years ago! Just back, and already hoping for that letter saying we're in for next season. The innkeepers, have everything down pat....the care and friendliness, the food, the young folks they hire, the wonderful friends you make and meet there....all incredible...and the trails, the scenery, the lakes! Eden could not have been better.....

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Joan88
Reviewed 28 July 2010

The Lake O'hara area is magnificent! if you are looking for a spectacular hiking vacation where there are no cell phones, computers, and cars - and if you have an unlimited budget, this is a wonderful place to come to. Occupancy in this part of the Yoho National forest is limited so the human footprint is greatly minimized.

The lodge is the only place to stay other than camping and I feel they definitely capitalize on that fact! It is extremely expensive - we paid close to $577 a night (including taxes) for a sleeping room with 2 single beds and a shared bath! The cheapest private cabin on the lake is over $800 a night! All meals were included and the food and food service was lovely. We just felt that it was very over valued for what we paid.

For this kind of money, we would expect exemplary service in all areas which would include being reminded to purchase the parks pass that is a necessity for all the parks in Canada - other than reading it in one line at the end of several paragraphs on the confirmation notice we had received when making our reservations in January. We did not recall reading about it and it was not mentioned when we called to confirm our shuttle arrangements to take us into Lake O'hara. We found out about it at the visitors center in Banff on our way to Lake O'hara. It was quite a shock to learn that the parks pass is $20 a day for every day in the parks! We ended up buying a year's pass for $136 because we were staying in Canada for 12 days. This was an unexpected expense!

We also were not told where exactly to pick up the shuttle to take us into the Lake. The parking area is about 2 acres and there was a school bus there with Lake O'hara on it which we thought was our shuttle. We waited and waited, and no one came to the bus to take us. Then, we saw a van at the other end of the parking lot - leaving! We ran after it yelling for it to wait - they took off. At this point, we were really stressed not knowing how we were going to get to the Lake. We walked the entire lot to see if we missed anything and discovered a small walkway at the parking lot entrance that went to another road that was blocked off when we entered the lot.. Lo and behold, HERE was were the Lake O'hara Lodge shuttle pick up was located! The driver told us he would not have left without us, but WE didn't know that! This was a really stressful experience and certainly not how we expected to begin this much anticipated and VERY expensive start to our vacation! When we finally got to the Lodge, I mentioned this to the hotel staff at the check in area. No apology!

In summary, we were at the Lodge for 3 nights and 4 days - the hiking was arduous, but spectacular - and definitely not for wimps! We enjoyed the camaraderie with our fellow guests, and the service was wonderful once we got there.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Marilynn J
Reviewed 7 February 2010

My husband and I have stayed at the lodge on three different occasions and most likely will go back again. The national parks of the Canadian Rockies are our favorite place to hike and Lake O'Hara has some of the best hiking trails in the parks. The lodge and cabins are in keeping with the spirit of an outdoor adventure, unobtrusively tucked away in the trees with a gorgeous view of the lake; quite a contrast to the large business size hotel beside Lake Louise. The rooms at the lodge are very small but quite comfortable, great mattresses. The decor is utilitarian with interesting old photographs in the main lodge. No one will ever go hungry at the lodge, the emphasis seems to be on quantity. The food is good but not excellent, the scenery and hiking trails are the big drawing card. My one concern is the price. The lodge is expensive which probably puts it out of the budget of many travelers. Should a national park, which should be for everyone, have a lodge which a sizable number of people can not afford?

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank auntiepamAtlanta
Reviewed 29 October 2009

Our four days and nights here were pure glory. We had looked forward to a stay at Lake O'Hara Lodge for some time and decided to make it our 25th Anniversary splurge. I have never experienced anything close to perfection in travel before this. This Lodge easily rates "Perfection". The warmth and welcome of the innkeepers and staff were absolutely genuine. There is something very extraordinary about the comfortable family feeling among the geusts and the staff and their joy in being part of this special place. Their care and good will permeated every corner of the property. Never have I experienced a business so brilliantly run, so well run, in fact, that it is, rather, a loving work of art that we were able to live inside of for a few days. We have found no place on Earth so spectacularly beautiful as Lake O'Hara and the hiking trails are as diverse as the scenery is gorgeous. The food was fabulous, the cabin serene, and the service was casual/perfection. If you are drawn to a lodge like this, you will find the other guests to be as lovely as you are. Thank you all for a memory of a lifetime, and you, Allison and Jim for creating all of this .

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bardicus
Reviewed 19 September 2008

I've been saving up my pennies for years to get to Lake O'Hara. I finally got the opportunity this September and spent 3 days in the lodge with a friend. Because I had been anticipating it for so long, I was afraid the reality would not meet my expectations, but it not only met but surpassed them. The food was first class and very healthy. The employees were friendly and knew your name upon arrival. If there is a more beautiful place, I can not imagine it. The hiking is superb and breathtaking. In our three days there we had bright sunshine, rain, and snow. Each element brought a different ambience to the mountains and lakes. Our two twin bedroom (#3) was small but extremely comfortable, and it looked out upon the lake, which made it the best room in the lodge. The mattresses and bed linens were great. Even the bumpy 20-minute bus trip to the lodge was enjoyable because of the charming bus driver! As soon as I got back to civilization I started trying to figure out how I could afford to go back! And that's a testament to just how good this place is.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
#3 of 10 in Lake Louise
Canadian Rockies Inn
Canadian Rockies Inn
#1 of 6 in Field

Been to Lake O'Hara Lodge? Share your experiences!