“One of the worst places I have stayed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pottsville
Brisbane, Australia
“One of the worst places I have stayed”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I recently stayed here with two friends over New Year’s Eve in one of the non-renovated rooms. I first had misgivings upon unlocking the front door to the room – both it and the lock and handle were incredibly flimsy. Though I doubt any of the guests, being mostly young families, would have broken into our room, it certainly did not give a feeling of security.

Secondly, the room. It had no aircon, only a ceiling fan, the breeze from which barely reached anywhere but the bed right underneath it. Promises of a ‘sea breeze’ from the female manager sadly went unfulfilled, even though every single window was left open throughout the afternoon and evening. The position of the room also provided some concern – it was quite possible for anyone walking along the upper-storey balcony to see directly into the room unless the curtains were kept closed. This unfortunately included the bathroom.

Furthermore, I can only assume that the way this room protrudes out over the car park has some effect on the acoustics of the place (especially when the windows need to be kept open at all times lest the inhabitants die of heat exhaustion), as at approximately 10pm – while I was fast asleep and my two friends awake and talking – we had a visit from the male manager who quite rudely told my friends to ‘shut it’. Although I am by no means a light sleeper, it seems to me that something that is apparently keeping many other guests awake and that was audible over the manager’s television set would wake me up. Perhaps a solution would be to install air conditioning so that the windows could be kept closed?

After reading many of the other reviews here it seems that the rude attitude adopted by the male manager is standard. It is a mystery to me why these two are managing a hotel. The pool was probably the one redeeming feature of the place, as it was modern and a decent size; however, I strongly recommend staying elsewhere (but if you want to use the pool I’m sure the managers won’t mind - three teenagers staying at the camping ground next door enjoyed it for nearly half an hour without attracting the managers’ wrath, though the pool gate clearly states the facility is for ‘motel guests only’).

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Hayley C
PottsvilleBM, Owner at Pottsville Beach Motel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Hi Hayley

Thank you for the recent review of your stay. We would firstly like to apologise for the rudeness you encountered from staff here over the New Year period. We have addressed these issues and are pleased to say that we now have a wonderful management team on board (who have previously run this Motel) and have extensive experience in managing Motels and Caravan Parks. In regards to the issues with the room, im sure that when you booked it would have been pointed out that the room was not renovated. Whilst our renovated rooms are clean and comfortable, they are older style rooms and only the renovated rooms have air conditioning. We have never had any complaints about the privacy of this room before. We hope that you still had an enjoyable New Year.

Kind regards
Pottsville Beach Motel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed 8 January 2014

If it was possible to give this motel a zero-star rating, I would. Sadly, I am unable to do so, so one star will have to suffice.

I checked in with two friends for what was intended to be a New Year’s holiday, but our original three-night stay ended after the first night.

We were approached by the male manager at 6pm, telling us to keep our voices down. We are aware our voices were loud, but agreed to keep the noise down.

After returning to our motel at approximately 10pm, we were approached by the male manager... again. His issue was that our conversation was travelling through the motel and was interrupting not only the guests, but his late night Foxtel session.

He claimed that our conversation was unnecessarily loud—he did not say we were shouting or screaming, but we needed to ‘shut it’ and keep in mind there were children staying at the motel.

This conversation quickly turned into a heated argument, in which we suggested it would be best we leave the following morning.

The male manager swore, was quite rude—we initially thought he was rude to us as we are a bunch of young females but ,after reading all the negative reviews, it seems he is just generally angry—and obviously has no experience in dealing with people (also pointed out in the reviews below).

Aside from this, the room was old, lacked general privacy (anyone could see into the room itself or the bathroom), the beds moved around and there was no air con (I cannot think of the last place I stayed at—motel or otherwise—that didn’t have air con).

I have stayed in motels in nearby towns and Pottsville Beach Motel could learn a few things from their neighbours.

As stated in the reviews below, I would strongly advise would-be guests to stay somewhere else—the male manager advised us we would have been better suited to the nearby caravan park, Pottsville North Holiday Park, so I would recommend making a booking there instead!

The only semi-positive thing I have to mention about the motel is its pool: while it was nice and modern (enough), it was also riddled with bugs. I would also advise the male manager—seeing as he is stickler for the rules—to keep his eye on ‘pool guests’. There is a sign on the pool fence, stating the pool is only for motel guests; however, three teenagers—who said they were staying elsewhere in Pottsville—were using it while we were there.

The female manager—while not as aggressive as her husband(?)—also failed in the customer service department. She took about 10 minutes to come down to greet us when we were checking in, then she was annoyed by the fact I asked for a receipt (even though she asked if I would like one?).

As we were leaving the following morning, a would-be guest asked us what time reception opened as she had been ringing the bell downstairs for some time. I was of the impression that management were to provide 24/7 assistance to both current and would-be guests. Though, after this massive rant/review, perhaps it was her lucky day they did not answer.

Not only did the motel provide poor customer service, but the room and its facilities were sub-par. As my friend stated: “When they have finished renovating the rest of the motel rooms, perhaps the (male) manager should renovate his attitude.”

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Madolline
Hi Gourleym
We would like to apologise for your recent experience with the managers of the Motel over the New Year period. That couple no longer work at the Pottsville Beach Motel and we are pleased to advise that we have a lovely husband and wife team who have extensive experience in running Motels and Caravan Parks.
Kind regards
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband had work in Pottsville between Christmas 2013 and New Year 2014 so we stayed a night in one of the newly renovated rooms at the Pottsville Beach Motel . Positives: The manager was very welcoming and the room, although small, was well presented. The pool was a good size and clean. The letdowns: Internet - we couldn't pick up the motel's internet network although we could pick up about 6 other networks. The manager assured me the network was working. I took my laptop to different locations around the motel but the network never came up while many others did. Cockroaches - we had cockroaches crawl out from between the carpet and wall space at night. It was easy to locate where they had emerged from because the between space was dirty and unpainted. I sprayed and crushed the bugs and left them for the housekeeping staff. Fridge: the small freezer compartment door was broken so the freezer never froze our ice or ice packs. I turned up the controls but the fridge never got that cold. Security door: the front security door lock was missing so for safety I kept the sliding glass door shut. I would much rather have used the security door so get the sea breeze through the unit. Great hospitality is about providing consistently high levels of customer service. This requires attention to detail from managers and staff...everything should work to support the customer experience. I have to rate our stay at the Pottsville Beach Motel as poor because not all services and facilities worked and we had cockroaches in our room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank XXMED
Gold Coast
Reviewed 2 August 2013

The wife & I traveled south to Splendour in the Grass festival last weekend. We found a fantastic motel at Pottsville on the Coast Rd. We had a terrific weekend the festival was unreal but the return to the motel at night was a real pleasure. Everything was perfect, very clean, quite, close to all amenities including the beach & the price was excellent. I would recommend this motel to anyone if travelling & want clean, well priced & situated motel you cannot go past Pottsville Beach Motel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great the motel has been renovated recently & all rooms are great. All you hav...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My husband and I needed to get away for a few days and decided to head down to the Tweed Coast for a little R&R.
The Relief Manager's Jon and Shirley at the Pottsville Beach Motel, were so lovely and helped us decide on things to see and do around the Tweed Shire while we were there.
Our room was amazing, newly renovated and very clean, I couldn't fault it, and having access to WiFi was also a bonus.
I would highly recommend Pottsville Beach Motel to anyone and will definitely go back there again and again.
Thanks Jon and Shirley for making our stay a very enjoyable and relaxing one. :)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blondechicky
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We stayed here recently for a family wedding. We were in one of the older rooms that had not yet been renovated. This in itself was not a problem. The problem was that the room was dirty. There was food wrappers under the bed, the top of the fridge was filthy , and was one of the only places to store food etc. The cupboard where the plates etc were kept stank of pest control, so much that we were holding our breath to reach in for a mug or a glass, and then thoroughly washing them before use. The only fry pan in the place was a huge electric one in the cupboard and it had a layer of old fat on it when we pulled it out to use it. The room was supposed to be "self contained" and there were six of us staying, but there was not enough bowls, mugs or glasses for 6 people. We stayed for 3 nights and our bins were not emptied nor were fresh towels offered.

Room Tip: The refurbished rooms looked quite nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank beckstar13
essex England
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Just when we thought all was lost and we would end up driving forever, we came upon Pottsville. Better still we stumbled upon the Pottsville Beach Motel. We paid $100 for a downstairs renovated room, just before Christmas, the following week we would have been unlucky, but it was quiet. Prices we were offered were $75 for older rooms, $135 for renovated two bedded room and $100 for one bedded room. Saw both renovated rooms, both had kitchen area, and air con. The larger room was well equipped with everything new, had a hairdryer, fridge freezer, microwave, toaster, table and chairs, ceiling fan and air con, wardrobe, case stand, all very new and bright and clean. Best equipped kitchen we have had in a motel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pottsville
Santai Retreat
#2 of 2 in Hastings Point
No photo provided
Escape BnB
#2 of 2 in Pottsville

Been to Pottsville Beach Motel? Share your experiences!