“A rural retreat”

Bagnell Country Cottage
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Stayed for 2 nights at this quiet B&B whilst attending a family event at Castle Cary. The cottage is off the beaten track so make sure you have clear directions for its location. We received a warm welcome from Eileen who showed us around her garden - lots of water features. Our bedroom, overlooking the garden, was welcoming and spotlessly clean and extremely well equipped - tea, coffee, biscuits, bottle opener and tea towel! There is a small fridge in the lounge/dining room for the use of guests. There was an excellent selection of breakfast options - my husband is a vegetarian - all freshly cooked and presented. If time had permitted, we would have liked to explore more of the local country walks - there is, apparently, a footpath to Montecute. A very enjoyable short stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GrannyAllen

Reviewed 7 June 2013

Nothing was too much trouble for Eileen during our 3 night stay at Bagnell Cottage in June 2013, she was the perfect hostess! The cottage is set in beautiful countryside with plenty of local walks on the doorstep. There is a good pub for food within walking distance in Norton Sub Hamdon & Eileen's breakfasts are first class! If you want a good value bed & breakfast in south Somerset - this is the place!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martin G
Reviewed 31 May 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights as a random break and we we're pleasantly surprised! Eileen was very welcoming had gave us maps for local walk routes.

The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was very clean.

Breakfast was fantastic too!

There are loads of great walks and Montacute house is only 30 minutes walk away.

1  Thank Liambball
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We spent three splendid days at this wonderful bed and breakfast and every effort was made to ensure our stay was comfortable and attentive. This hidden gem is perfect for walking, pub food and stunning country views. The owner provided a hearty breakfast and the solution to any queries we had about the area and places to visit. We would fully recommend this bed and breakfast as a perfect base to explore this beautiful countryside.

1  Thank Glynis W
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Visited Bagnell Cottage this weekend. What a fabulous guest house. Eileen who runs it was very welcoming, the room was huge and very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was lovely and we were able to come and go as we pleased. The guest house is situated close to Ham Hill and the surrounding country side was beautiful. Will definately go again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank WaterMelon53
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Just spent two glorious days at this bed and breakfast and have to say its by far one of the best places I!ve stayed in for a long time,it!s a bit of a pain finding it but well worth it,the food is really good rooms very clean and the Lady who owns it is very friendly and helpful.I would recommend this B&B to everyone

1  Thank Allen H
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I stayed here recently for a few days with my wife and daughter to attend a wedding in the local area and I'm glad we made the right decision. I've even felt a little sorry for others who stayed elsewhere! Eileen was a wonderful host. She made sure every effort to make sure our stay was as comfortable as possible and the breakfasts she provided were amazing! I may have opted for a Full English a little too often, but I was on holiday. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

I was a little alarmed when I picked up my phone in our room and saw no signal available, but that moment soon passed. There was WiFi available, a lounge area, some videos, an extensive selection of books and Eileen was also able to provide recommendations on local attractions.

For a taste of the countryside, some fresh air and a friendly and welcoming service, I heartily recommend Bagnell Cottage.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Been to Bagnell Country Cottage? Share your experiences!