“Good Food”

Ranked #1 of 3 Congresbury B&B and Inns
Somerset UK
“Good Food”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

first time at Ship and castle since it became Mezze. Very good food and vast choice of mezze/tapas.Four of us ordered 4 dishes each all very good. Service very friendly but not over the top. Not tried the main menu but will next time as it looked very interesting. Good pint of Old Speckled Hen and wine list not to expensive

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CD-and-J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Cornwall
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed for one night en route to Bristol Airport. What a lovely suprise, our room was fab and matched my love of darker decor and I had the most brilliant nights sleep. The en suite was spacious and well equipped Although they were busy the staff found us a table for our evening meal which was just delicious. I had the £12 Mezze and my husband the Monkfish. It was the best food we had all weekend even though we spent the following night in Geneva. Breakfast was also of really good quality. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mayfly17
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We selected from the a la carte menu. There are set prices for each course and the was a good choice of options. I had a Bouilabaise, it was lovely. My fellow diners both had the Kleftico and they said it was tender and tasty. We had desserts and they were sooo good. Service was very good and not intrusive. Layout is great and even though it was busy it didn't feel like it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I had read great reviews about the Mezze chain and suggested to a group of friends that we have lunch here on Sunday. Unfortunately it turned out to be possibly the worst dining experience I have had. Our party of 6 adults and 5 children choose a variety of different meals from the extensive menu. We had starters and mains. The children's food came out quickly and there was no problem with their sausages,chips. But when the adult food arrived it was disappointing to say the least. Most of our food remained untouched and despite lots of staff miling around no-one came to check on our table after the food had arrived. The philosophy here seems to be one of quantity over quality. The mezze was particularly poor - big bowls of sauce-drenched mezze with absolutely no delicacy to the dishes at all. The fried food was like something you'd find at an airport buffet, with chewy, dry meat. To compound this the staff seemed completely disinterested and cleared our uneaten plates away without anyone enquiring as to if there was a problem. I asked to speak to a manger and this is when the whole experience got worse. I was expecting the manger to at least to listen to our concerns but his reaction was at best dis-interested and at worst hostile. I said that most of our food was uneaten and he simply said 'well, I'll go speak to the chef' as if that made things OK. I explained that I didn't want to pay for food we'd been unable to eat. The manager seemed to think my agenda had been to come in and ask for money off rather than the reality which is that what should had been a lovely lunch with friends had been ruined. The manager took the bill away and returned it without a word. He had removed 2 courses and when I queried this he said 'I've taken £28 off the bill, I'm not taking off any more'. When I tried to explain what was wrong, he didn't even listen to what I was saying, but simply took the bill away and returned it to the table, again without saying anything. I realise that things can go wrong in restaurants, but the manager seemed to have absolutely no training in how to deal with customer complaints. I left not just disappointed with the poor food but angry at the way I had been treated. What a shameful way to treat customers. In conclusion I would never, ever return to this or any other of it's branches.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Catherine J

Travellers are raving about these Congresbury hotels

Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Went here for a quick lunch before flying from bristol airport. Haven't been here for years and years , since it was a traditional pub. The interior is modern and stylish , in some areas a bit dark but our waitress suggested a table in a lighter area, we were early for a Saturday lunchtime but customers soon started to flood in . We went for the £12 mezzo, which afforded lots of choice , the liver dish was amazing and very good. I think this is something you need to try a couple of times and then you will find your favourites , but all of the selected dishes were good in their own way. There were a selection of main dishes if you didn't want the mezze. Drinks were a good price and the selection of wines were spot on for my taste . Service was friendly and the young waiter was great. I would definitely go back , something different and very social for a lingering lunch.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KLBOS
Coventry
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Early impressions upon arrival were very favourable - excellent attentive service from the person who showed us to our room, provided us with fresh milk for tea etc. The room was not what we expected - their website did and still states "king sized bed", whereas no larger than standard double. if you are paying for such amenities, you should have them provided. It was unusual for a hotel of this price range however to provide cafetiere coffee which was a nice touch.

The room was cosy in size - I am a great advocate of a certain purple budget chain and to be honest, I have never had even a single room in one of their establishments as small as this one was. Style was a mixture of attempted period with very modern shower room.

Dinner - we both decided on the mezze. Smashed eggs bravas was really nice, meatballs were moist and very well flavoured and considering they offer 3 dishes for £12, it is well worth a trip as the choice is wide and varied.

drinks - we had an excellent bottle of well priced wine and then decided to finish off with a malt whisky for my partner and a vodka martini for myself - and no, I dont think i am Jimmy Bond!! The waiter didnt understand either of these requests so he sent over what we assumed by his non-standard dress code was the manager. My partner asked what malt whiskies they had to which he replied "come to the bar and have a look". I have never been asked to view the drinks on offer before and would not expect anyone in such a role not to know at least the majority they had - the list extended to seven or eight therefore surely not a difficult task. this was compounded more when we noticed a sign just as we left saying "why not try a liqueur coffee with a malt whisky"!!!

My martini arrived and it was OK at best, however, it came in a glass with not one but two chips - one on either side. This I reckon had been caused by their storage system of having glasses hanging from wooden slots above the bar and rubbing each other. This really should have been checked before the glass went anywhere near a spirit and certainly it should have got nowhere near our table.

breakfast was really good and nicely cooked.

Overall, was it worth what we spent including accommodation, dinner, drinks etc? No. Would I stay overnight again? No. Would I try the Mezze again? Yes. Would I stick to wine and not "venture" into cocktails and whiskies? Yes.

Room Tip: Dont expect a king size bed in in Louis room, plus it overlooked the rear yard so not that quiet