“Avoid like the plague!”

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Avoid like the plague!”
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

We booked for a birthday, but didn't leave in high spirits :-(

Started with pre-dinner drinks and got hurried along to our table (in a very rude manner!) Menus got thrust at us, and then got repeatedly asked just moments later what we wanted (was a large party so needed a bit more time to order).
Starters arrived - one had a shard of glass in!! No apology from waitress/owner etc, in fact don't think they really cared! Mains arrived - minus two meals and two sides, the meals (still no sides!) eventually turned up once everyone had finished, and were still cold and unappetising. Again, no apology just a shoulder shrug.
Bill came with late meals and sides included- I refused to pay for them. Not even offered a pudding or coffee etc.
complained several times regarding drinks not turning up etc and not once was there an ounce of service. Waitresses all sour faced, with 'no care' attitudes. Have never once experienced this level of service before. So so poor. I really wouldn't bother if you're thinking of booking, you'd get better service in the McDonald's drive thru.

1 Thank KLMBEA

Bristol, United Kingdom
“DONT EVER GO HERE- total RIP OFF”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

What an absolute dive. The decor is dated and ugly. The staff were not at all warm or welcoming from the moment we walked through the door. We arrived at 7:30 this evening and were served our starters fairly quickly. However, we were then left with our dirty plates for half and hour after we had finished them and had to put them on to another empty table behind us for the waiters to even get the message that we had finished. After 2 hours had passed we were still without are main courses. By this time it was nearly 10pm. Definitely not a time you want to start eating. So I spoke to someone who looked fairly managerial and explained how long we had been waiting and was told that I needed to appreciate that they were busy and that they cooked everything from fresh. That is not the answer I was expecting. No sign of sympathy or apology granted and was just given the usual phrase of your food will be up next. Disgusting response. 15 mins later we were then served our main courses. Most of them were nearly edible and my chicken was stone cold and the salad covered in some slimy 'dressing'. Definitely not worth £15! We were then expected to pay full price for the bill and were at no point offered a discount or just simply an apology. A real let down. DON'T EVER GO HERE!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, my partner had his expensive barbour scarf stolen from here too with the staff denying any knowledge of it.

2 Thank MissC30
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Anniversary treat, not disappointed.”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We have just had a delicious meal from Sousta. We had a take away and I can not say a bad word about it. We had mixed dips, grilled halloumi and mixed sausages for starters, all of which came with warm pittas and a very nice Greek salad. They were all very tasty and there was plenty of each. For main we shared a portion of Stiffado which was simply beautiful, beef that just melted in your mouth. I must admit we thought they were supposed to have come with potatoes and didn't, but to be honest, they weren't missed. The meat and gravy was so good we simply had it with the pitts and salad.

My husband drove to collect the meal and was greeted by friendly staff, and even given some complimentary olives - which were as Simon put it 'absolutely lush.' We would definitely recommend Sousta and will be going back again very soon!

Bristol, England
“Birthday Delight”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Having booked a Birthday meal for four, I was rather concerned reading the recent reviews (so much so that I almost cancelled and booked elsewhere). I needn't have worried. We were greeted by friendly and helpful staff, the service was excellent and the food (although perhaps slightly overpriced) very good. Whether it was because the restaurant was relatively quiet (Wednesday) or the fact that we weren't Groupon customers (I could sense that the Owner wasn't too keen on these), we were made to feel very welcome and this is a restaurant that I would return to.

Bristol
“Won't be returning!!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I have always fancied trying this restaurant, and when it came up on Groupon I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try it. I booked our meal for the last day of the offer (we had just been really busy and were only able to fit it in on this day). We arrived at Sousta, 6.30 on a Sunday evening. We were greeted by the owner. He asked if we had our Groupon voucher I said yes, he then proceeded to rant and ask why we did not come earlier and that it was the last day of the offer and many people have booked late in the offer, that he only gets £4 per person from Groupon, he flicked through his diary saying look all groupon, all groupon. Me and my husband just couldn't believe that was the greeting we had. Both of us thought straight away we will never return! I asked if our table was ready and he pointed to it and said its over there, we took that as though we could go and sit down. We both sat there in shock!!

A waitress brought over the menu. The prices on the menu were really high and I was glad we had the voucher. My son was with us, he picked from the very small childrens menu, all priced at £7.95 (I think is very expensive for a childs meal). My husband had the chill prawns (£6.95) and I had the halloumi (£5.95). Our starters came out and they were ok. Both served with pitta bread and salad. My husbands prawns looked like the small frozen ones you can buy in the supermarket so not of good quality. For main I had the kleftiko, and my husband had feta stuffed chicken. My lamb fell off the bone, it was served with 3 roast potato's and again salad (£16.95). The meal could have been so much better with crispy roast potato's (they were like boiled potato's) and seasonal vegetables and at the price they charge I wouldn't expect anything less but unfortunately less is what I got. My husbands feta stuffed chicken was chicken swimming in cheese, not sure why they say it is stuffed as it is quite clearly not!! My sons was chicken kebab, served with chips and again salad, he seemed to enjoy it. Dessert was chocolate fudge cake and baklava, both were fine but nothing special. My husband had a pint and son had a J20, our bill came to over £67, the groupon voucher was for £40 so had to pay £27, it was a rip off.

We were sat right in front of the bar. At one point the owner asked the waiter to check to see if a pint of the cider was ok, the waiter proceeded to sip the pint say it was ok then delivered it to the table who ordered it, I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought Gordon Ramsey was going to turn up from Ramseys kitchen nightmares!!

The restaurant itself has seen better days, its a bit tatty and the wooden beams are covered in cobwebs.

I am unsure why Sousta decided to use Groupon, they will certainly not get a repeat visit from us!

2 Thank Joanne M