“Don't book a groupon spa day !”

Spa at DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House
Bristol, United Kingdom
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Don't book a groupon spa day !”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

My son bought me a spa day package here on groupon . This included lunch and a glass of bubbly, well I don't know what you expect from a spa day but it was a total rip off, the spa day includes use of the pool and sauna, that's it ! The pool was very busy and an instructor came in doing aqua fit, not the most relaxing thing lol I found other members of the club to be none too friendly and felt in their way in the changing room, so maybe spa guests should have their own area to change in so as not to get in the members way ? When we arrived we were given a menu and told to tick two boxes, which we did, although lunch was good, I was surprised my ciabatta only had chicken, one piece of bacon and one slice of Brie in it ! Not much considering how much my son paid, even on groupon ! When we paid our bill we were charged for our side salad, we said this was wrong, only to be told , no you ticked two boxes, we explained that's what we were told to do, oh more staff training is needed said the waitress ! I would not recommend a spa package here to anyone if you want a relaxing chill out day, and especially do not book it through groupon thinking you are getting a good deal !

6 Thank wenders46

Clevedon, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Good gym, nice swimming pool, but not a spa”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Having had a voucher for a months membership of the gym and spa, I'm really pleased with the quality of the gym equipment, the friendly staff and the cleanliness of the place. But I do feel a bit sorry for the people who are there on a spa day. It's not a particularly relaxing place, especially by the pool - and although it's quality it's certainly not luxurious. The showers for example are clean, but the shower head and controls are very basic and not very enjoyable. Good for a workout, not so good for relaxing.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank kentqwerty573
Westbury, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“not above average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

The restaurant is Marco Pierre White. I didnt eat there as I only went for a business meeting but on a Wednesday lunchtime it was empty! A member of staff said lunchtimes were always quiet. Its in the middle of nowhere so you have to make the effort to get there, no popping out. Reception was very unimpressive, small and unfriendly. The bar and restaurant, where I had a coffee are huge, maybe thats why it looks so empty. Lots of leaflets on weddings so I guess thats where they get a lot of business. The corridors are dark with odd tables stored against walls and chairs plonked anywhere. Not really impressed and wouldnt make an effort to go there,

Visited April 2014
Torquay, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“When a spa is not a spa”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

I used my Tesco clubcard vouchers through Wahanda for a nice spa day and couples massage at Cadbury House. This was meant to be a treat for my fiancée but sadly this is not what we received.

When we first arrived the location looked good as on the site was a Marco Pierre White restaurant. We walked up to the spa reception which is upstairs next to a small restaurant.

The spa staff were well dressed and helpful. They took our vouchers handed us a robe and some plastic flip flops. We were then shown the facilities and this is where goes down hill.

There was a relaxation room next to the spa reception which was dated and had fruit tea n water to drink. This is were we were told we can relax and to wait before our treatment.

We were taken through the restaurant which had leisure centre users in and through some doors. This lead to stairs down which passed through a number of activity rooms with different classes in full swing.

The changing rooms at the bottom of the stairs were ok and for use of all the leisure centre and not just spa guest. The changing rooms lead out to the pool. As we entered the pool area it had a number of leisure guests and spa guests sharing. To top this off the was an elderly watercize class in full swing with loud booming music. There was only 3 sun loungers and 4 chairs around the pool. All the spa guests were in the jucuzzi looking as depressed as us. The sauna and steam room were tatty. The jacuzzi looked ok but when you got in there were tiles and a big section of tiles missing which was a H&S issue.

We made the most of this before heading in our robes back to the restaurant. This was up the stairs past all the fitness classes and into the restaurant which was full of clothed leisure centre people. What an non relaxing experience and my fiancée felt so unrelaxed.

We the found that the included lunch did not include any drink! We just ordered our drinks (paid for at the end of the day). The lunch was tasty but ruined by the location and situation.

We then returned to the pool area after lunch as had time to kill before our massage hoping it would be quieter. Our mistake as a children's swimming lesson was on with a toddler class waiting to start.

We waited a bit before heading up to the relaxation room. After a little time in this room not feeling relaxed we had our massages which were ok.

After our massages we could not wait to get changed and leave. We signed out and paid for our drinks.

Once we had left we thought the ordeal was over but no. As soon as we got to our car my mobile rang. It was the spa staff telling me that I needed to pay more as we had visited on a peak time so wanted more money and also to pay for the massage as only was a spa day. I pointed out to them that there were two separate vouchers for the spa day and massage. The then found the massage voucher and agreed it was all their mistake.

Please never go here if you want a proper spa. You can see by my other reviews that I do not moan and am not picky.

Hope you find this review useful.

5 Thank Darrell R
Bath, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Below Par Day - Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I would imagine that most people, such as myself, book a spa day for a nice bit of pampering and relaxation. The central pool area was so busy it was like going to the local leisure centre and at points there was nowhere to sit and there were only 2 long chairs where you could put your feet up and read a book. The lack of relaxed seating certainly didn't make you want to hang around for the whole day. The jacuzzi, steam rooms and sauna were lovely and the lunch good. However my biggest gripe was half way through the spa being surrounded by a baby class in the pool singing nursery rhymes and having nowhere else to go and sit and not being able to find adequate space in the changing rooms as it was full of baby chairs. Not really what I think most people would be expecting from the hotel's glossy internet page.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank aquinas

Travellers who viewed Spa at DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House also viewed

Edingworth, Weston-super-Mare

Been to Spa at DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House? Share your experiences!