“More like a tired B&B than a Hilton”

DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Congresbury
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This was not a good Hilton experience for us.
Don't be fooled by 'Bristol South' as this hotel is a good 13 miles out of Bristol and it was a 20 to 30 minute journey by car regardless of which route we took to and from the city. To be fair - I should have checked on a map before booking.

Disappointed to find the corridors littered with the previous night's room service trays and pizza boxes after checking in mid afternoon on the Friday. These were eventually cleared by the time we went out at around 6.30pm.

We had booked a so-called Family King Deluxe room (room 405) for my wife and myself, for 2 nights from Friday 8th to Sunday 10th August. Our room turned out to be no better (and possibly a tad smaller than my son's standard King room). Definitely not big enough for a family.

The room looked very nice at first glance, but like most good looking things, it lacked substance. I often find that things that are design-led do not always equate to practical and effective when you actually try to use them. This was a classic example of that.

The room was cramped and badly laid out with hardly any space around the bed, due to the limited wardrobe space being located behind the bed. That design aspect pushes the bed out further from the wall, thus limiting space between the opposite wall and the foot of the bed. Storage space for clothes for 2 people for more than one night is a big issue - don't know what you would do if you had a couple of kids as well. We lived out of our suitcases - which we had to leave on the sofa bed, as there is nowhere else to put them. There is no luggage rack or bench supplied for suitcases.

Even without suitcases on it, God alone knows how you would fold out the sofa bed as there simply is not enough space between it and the bed. You just cannot use it. Why is it there?

In room 405 there is a particularly stupid design feature of a clear glass window between the bedroom space and the shower room and toilet (no bath). Don't know if it is common to all rooms, but being a clear glass panel, it means that a family member has no privacy when showering. Not a problem for me and the wife, but I don't think most people would want their kids gawking at them when they were in the shower or indeed, vice versa.

There is also no door to the shower, just a half length panel, so the floor of the shower room floods from the water spray every time you use the shower. Again - looks nice but it's simply not functional. Whatever idiot approved the bathroom design should be sacked.

Biggest negative observation is that the hotel stinks. By that I mean there is an absolutely awful smell in the corridors, particularly on the floor housing room 405, which I can only describe as a dirty dishwasher or dirty drain smell. The carpets in the corridor are badly stained and rippled where they are coming away from the floors, but the stench did not seem to originate from the carpets. It stunk so bad on the Saturday night that my wife (who has a somewhat more tender stomach than me) almost threw up and retched all the way to our room from the lift. Strangely, the bedroom smelled fine - it was just in the corridors. My son's room was on a different floor and the corridor on that floor smelled bad too.

Note that above, I have said "the floor that houses room 405". That's because when you use one lift at the reception end of the hotel, room 405 is on the 6th floor. That's confusing enough as in most hotels room 405 would be on the 4th floor. However, just to confuse things further, if you use the lift at the other end of the hotel, room 405 is actually on the 5th floor!

Now I don't know much about Health and Safety, but I would imagine that could cause a major problem in certain circumstances - i.e. in an emergency. How can a room be on different floors depending on which lift you get into? We went to the wrong floor several times before we got the hang of it.

Staff are friendly and polite. Whilst the girl I spoke to empathised with my comments about the stink, I just got a standard "we will get maintenance to look into it" reply and the stink did not go away.

All in all, the luke warm cookie they give you at Doubletree when you check in was scant compensation for a pretty cramped and crappy room in a smelly hotel.

I am a Hilton HHonors member and I was very disappointed. I would definitely not stay here again. I feel that we would have had a much better experience staying in a Premier Inn nearer the city centre at considerably lower cost. In my experience, Hilton never admit that problems are their fault, so I will not waste my time asking for a refund.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 405 unless you are a single traveller.
1  Thank Nick P

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed here on the 9th -10th August for a wedding. The wedding was brilliant and the food was fantastic. The room was really good , very clean and we were lucky enough to have a view. The only drawback was that one of the bedside lights didn't work and the toilet leaked onto the floor when flushed. It was quite noisy from other guests and we were woken at 4.20am by someone knocking loudly on our door. (She was obviously taken aback when my husband opened the door!!!!!) But on the whole a very enjoyable weekend!

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We visited the Marco Pierre white restaurant for dinner and received very good food but outstanding service. Yes it's pricey, and I would argue that not all dishes are fair in their pricing. However, the staff are great, a real team. We were welcomed by the lovely girl on the bar, who took our drinks order and asked if we were dining in the restaurant. She then checked our booking and got some menus for us to look at and put our drinks onto our bill for the table. She was very attentive but in such a welcoming manner. So much so we chose to sit at the bar so we could talk to her some more. Shame I can't remember her name! Our food was great as was the service in the restaurant although sometimes a little slow. That being said the lovely bar girl came to deliver our jug of water and also took our drinks orders which arrived within a couple of minutes. Which I think really helped her colleagues as the restaurant was rather busy. Perhaps a few more waiters/waitresses could help speed up service?

All in all a lovely experience. With some members of the team being such huge assets! Thank you Marcos.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Was working at the airport at Bristol, so stayed at this hotel as very close. Wasn't the best of rooms even though was supposed to be deluxe . No cupboard space and quite dated furniture. It was clean enough with a very comfortable bed and a large flat screen tv on the wall. View from the room was superb.
The bar food was very good especially the burger, and the choice for breakfast was excellent. Drinks and food the usual high prices though.
The gym was fully equipped with all hi-tech equipment. Never used the pool or spa. Would stay again if on a short visit.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Hotel very busy the weekend we visited ,clearly a well used wedding venue.
Disappointed we had to wait until regular check in time having requested early check in , we had arrived on an early morning flight. Fully understand they were busy. Reception staff variable a couple really good others less so.
Breakfast average.
Nearby gym and swimming pool available to hotel guests and excellent booked this hotel because of this and was not disappointed.
Room very good. Yet another hotel who charge for WiFi when will they stop doing this.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Booked in here for 4 days for business and pleasure.

The bad bits, very poor room. Invoice was £131 per night. All we had was a very poor room with little if any hanging space. No chance of change of room as hotel fully booked. Next time I will not stay there if allocated that type of room. It is good for one night stay, eg - weddings and flying following day.

Good bits. Location. Views. Gym is first class, well above anything expected. Pool is good and quiet. Food was first class, and we had to eat there for 4 days. No poor meal whatsoever, restaurant to bar meal. Breakfast was very good. And our compliments to restaurant manager who we had the pleasure to monitor throughout the stay. He really got stuck in and assisted patrons and members of his staff. Top marks Mimmo. Credit to the hotel.

Room Tip: Its quieter on the back. Don't book via Tesco vouchers. You get the crap that is left over and...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Very clean rooms,great room service. We had a meal at Marco Pierre White restaurant and it was amazing. The food was great,service amazing, especially Mariusz who recommended perfect wine to go with a lovely meal we had.He was polite, friendly and very professional. Many thanks. We will definitely come again.

• Stayed: August 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Congresbury
Hampton by Hilton Bristol Airport
Winford Manor
Winford Manor
#1 of 1 in Winford
Holiday Inn Bristol Airport
Best Western The Webbington Hotel and Spa
Best Western Walton Park Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House? Share your experiences!