“New Experience of Vobster”
Review of Vobster Quay

Vobster Quay
Ranked #3 of 5 things to do in Mells
London, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“New Experience of Vobster”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Went to Vobster for the first time with my new dive buddy a few weeks ago.
What a place. Really friendly people, great facilities, brilliant shop, brilliant food too.
Great system where you run up a tab for food and air fills and pay when you leave.
Water temp was about seven degrees and I was trying out my new dry suit. Viz was about 6-8 metres and I got a 25 metre dive in.
Places like this that are run by enthusiasts and used by enthusiasts run a risk of being elitist and standoffish, pleasantly nothing could be further from the truth here.
Will definitely be going back.

Visited March 2014

uk
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great Centre - great staff. Highly recommended”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Went to Vobster in March 14 for an early season chance to check out my kit and start the diving season. It was 7C and a chilly day, so not the best omens for a days diving.

In fact we had a great day. Of particular note were the staff. From registration, through air fills to the shop, every member of staff we met was helpful, interested in us, interested in diving. Made a real difference to our day.

My top tip. Go mid week if you can. Parking right close to the waters edge and very few other divers.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank TopPlaces
London, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Cannot recommend enough!”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I've been to Vobster Quay quite a few times now and each time it's been great. It's certainly worth a drive down from London. Fantastic facilities, enough space and interesting submerged objects for some great dives, platforms for training. Also the staff are incredibly friendly, welcoming and helpful and spent a long time helping me set up new kit. And the food is great.

Really I can't fault this place and I will be back!

Visited August 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“If Carlsberg did dive sites then.....”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I booked in to do my Advanced Open water course with the oxford dive centre and the dives were due to take place at vobster. All I can say is how amazing the place is...exactly what you need for dive training. Plus when you eventually come up for air.....a dynamite bacon sarnie!

Can't praise this place enough. A great advert for scuba diving in the UK. Going back again in 2 weeks.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank maxybarber
Bracknell, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“March 2013 Trip to Vobster Quay”
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Driving to Vobster this Sunday I drove through the snow wondering if I had made the right choice but felt I could not let down the other divers I was going to be diving with. I am so glad I kept going as it was a great day.

Vobster Quay for those who do not know is an inland scuba diving quarry that has 'attractions' for divers to see. when you arrive if you are not a member you have to fill in a short form with contact details and Scuba diving qualification you hold. You are then issued a keyring which you use to pay for things during the day only needing to get your purse out after all the diving has been completed. This makes the days diving very uncomplicated keeping warm with bacon butties and hot chocolates or filling cylinders.

The staff and owner are all very friendly with happy smiles and helpful information. Vobster has the usual facilities of a gas station, shop and food but also has facilities that are not at all the other places with covered areas to shelter from any bad weather. Heated changing rooms that also have hot showers. Large amount of parking on the Quay side with a large overflow car park for the busy summer months.

Vobster Quay has the usual selection of sunken attractions of cars and boats but also has a jet plane, a lorry and a tracked personnel carrier. One nice feature, if you can find it, is jester henge. Jester henge is a collection of tall standing jesters that have been sunken in a circle just like stone henge. The jet plane has been separated into three sections with a couple of metres between them so it is possible to see inside without having to actually go inside for those who do not hold an overhead qualification.

For a week during the summer it is Vobster who host Tec Camp. Where Tec divers can meet and dive with a selection of instructors to find an agency or instructor to continue their diving education but Tec Camp is not just for those who have completed a Tec course it is also for those who would like to meet, talk to, dive with a great group of Tec instructors. Which ones do you like and feel you would learn the best from them.

When I was there the visibility was not very good at about 4 metres and the water was cold at about 4 degrees Celsius. During the summer I know that the water temperature gets warmer, well down to about 12 metres where there is a thermocline and the temperature drops dramatically. Clarity of the water is usually better than my 4 metres but it does depend on how much rain there has been as this can stir the bottom silt.

Three great dives were had by my fellow divers and myself and a thoroughly enjoyable days diving was had by all.

Visited March 2013