“Great location, ideal base for sightseeing with excellent amenities”

Solplay Hotel de Apartamentos
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Linda-a-Velha
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed here for a week in August, so we could visit Lisbon, Cascais and other nearby attractions. The hotel was perfect for us being just 10 to 15 minutes by car/bus into Lisbon city centre and the hotel provided a free shuttle to and from Lisbon every day which was an extra bonus. The hotel has a lovely outdoor swimming pool with no shortage of sun loungers and parasols and plenty of space so it didn't feel too crowded even when the hotel was full. The buffet breakfast was excellent with a varied choice to suit most tastes and the dining room staff extremely helpful. We had a room overlooking the pool and the river which was superb, with views of Cristo Rei, the 25th of April Bridge and cruise ships coming and going into the port. We definitely would use this hotel again, it had every amenity that we needed, great location and professional, courteous staff.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Susan F

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed for 5 nights for a family wedding.
As a competing body builder, it was important to me to stay somewhere with a gym. The hotel is fantastic for sports lovers! As well as a gym and 2 pools, there's an astroturf equipped for tennis or football, bikes to hire, and it's a nice place for a run. Over the road there's a mountain bike course, canopy ropes course and more football pitches. Nearby there are great surfing beaches (we went to the Angel's Surf School at Carcaveloss which was great!).
The gym is geared towards cardio. There are plenty of bikes / crosstrainers / treadmills. There are some weights machines and a set of dumbells going up to 26k only. It would be much improved if they got a squat station. There are no cables etc. either. It's fine for the average gym user, and ok for a week off season.
The apartment was spotlessly clean. The kitchen was reasonably well equipped, although I wouldn't want to do any serious cooking there due to a lack of utensils. The restaurant offered a great buffet for breakfast and evening meals - there were plenty of clean options for those worried about their diets (and plenty of puddings for those who are not!).
The staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful and it seemed no request was too big or too small.
I would recommend the hotel for families as well - there's even a play room for the kids and babysitting available.
We booked the smallest room and it was spacious and great for a couple.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for a fun / relaxing holiday in Lisbon!

Room Tip: We picked a room with wifi included - it worked very well, more than adequate for our needs. We were...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cathy L
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I was here on a business trip and well, it was business. The hotel is outside the city center and a taxi cab, which is anywhere from 15-20 euros each way. When I arrived I asked about our company discount and was told because I booked online I could not get the company discount, even though we were holding events all week. It did not make sense since I did not pay until check out - hmmm. Then everything with the hotel was off, the event, food and accommodations. Service was slower than a turtle and no bar/wait staff ever could figure out people were waiting or needed service. They would just stand around. I left a bathing suit and dress behind and asked them to mail it to me at my final destination in Madeira Portugal. I called and was told to email the hotel. It took them days to reply to my email and I never did get my clothes. The Wifi in the room worked most of the time, but if I wanted to get any work done, I needed to go to the lobby. Would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel in Lisbon
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2014

It's my third time in this hotel, and it never lets me down. I always stay here when I go to Optimus Alive, since it has a fantastic location and great conditions. My apartment was HUGE and very very clean. We had everything we needed. The breakfast is excellent with lots of variety. This time there were some DJs by the pool, and the atmosphere was awesome!

One great thing was the free shuttle to the festival which would also bring you back to the hotel. I don't know if I could take it because of the special "Optimus Alive package" for the room, but it's a really really good thing.

The only problem we had was with the mattresses in our beds (006), they could use a replacement. Other than that, we had a great stay and will definitely return!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2014

One of the best hotels I've stayed in. The hotel were great with emails leading up to the trip to arrange airport pick up etc. On arrival they waited for me with a sign and were very pleasant despite my delayed flight. My 1 bed apartment was MASSIVE! Really clean and modern with great views of the bay.
I was there for Optimus Alive festival. My room rate included breakfast (decent) and a free shuttle to the festival which was great given the taxi queues at the event.
As most of the people at the hotel that weekend were there for the festival they had a DJ at the pool and Marta and Pedro were great at gearing up the crowd and making sure we had plenty of sangria at the pool. Brilliant customer service!!!
The only thing I could fault is maybe the lunch at the pool snack menu - my pasta with prawns and gazpacho were great but my friends' steaks were cold and mediocre so had to be sent back. Nothing major though.

Will def be returning there next year for the festival again!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Nice looking hotel which did what it said on the tin. Was a quiet location not near to anything but taxis were plentiful and quite reasonable. The food was quite nice and reasonably priced. No variation at breakfast but was ok for a week's stay. The studio apartment was nice and a reasonable size but extremely poorly laid out. The bed blocked access to the wardrobe and had only a few inches gap at the end to get round. This was also where the mirror was (I had to stand on the bed to use it) - there was no dressing table for me to put my stuff or dry my hair. Instead there was a big chunky CRT TV and stand. I'd rather have had a smaller tv and a dressing table! The hairdryer in the bathroom was woeful (glad I brought my own!), the lighting was poor and the cold tap was a dribble. The (pointless) bidet took up too much room making the bathroom feel very cramped indeed. We were down to the last square of toilet paper before more was provided but towels seemed to proliferate like the proverbial bunny rabbits! Thick white bathrobes were nice but a bit overkill in 35 degrees so didn't get used. My studio was no 518 which was quiet (apart from the howling wind) and had a lovely view of the country and a side sea view, the balcony was huge - it could have done with having a couple of sun loungers. Didn't use the kitchenette but probably would have struggled to cook much as almost zero counter space and for a week's stay didn't seem worth spending loads on washing up liquid, tea towels etc only for them to be thrown away hardly used! A little essentials pack would have been a thoughtful touch especially as supermarkets were not close by. Was informed upon checkout that the 2 small bottles of water provided each day in the fridge/freezer were not complimentary. Neither me nor my partner (who was with me the first few days) spotted the sticker they insisted was right above them - I am sure one of us would have spotted it if it had actually been there. In the end I couldn't be bothered to argue over it but at 100 to 150 euros a night you would think water might be complimentary as it is in most decent hotels? The free wifi was good but erratic - and the last 2 days I was there it stopped working for me as when I tried to sign in I kept getting a 'too many redirects' loop error on the URL which seemed unresolvable. Service at the pool was erratic. Groups of lads and girls got lots of attention while the rest of us would stand around for ages waiting to get served. It did generally feel like an understaffed hotel. I sat for half an hour on the terrace on my own one lunchtime while the waiter ignored me completely but served the group who turned up after me straight away. The couple at the table next to me could not believe it. I had to go to the bar and order my drink/food myself. My main reason for staying at the hotel was for the Optimus Alive festival. I chose the hotel because of its relative proximity and, because I would be alone there for those last few days, for the safety of having a shuttle bus provided by the hotel to get me back late at night. The shuttle cost 30 euros for the 3 days and each night the departure and pick up times seemed to be on the whim of the driver. Having booked a pick up time of 2.30 am I found myself alone in the bus station till 3am as, for reasons unknown the driver just decided to skip the 2.30 slot and wait til 3am. The same thing happened to other people too. Why insist on booking a time at all? Luckily nothing happened to me but disregard for guest safety was uppermost in my mind. Turned out I could have easily just taken a cab but I was not to know that before I got there! All in all some plus points but a few niggly negative points that could and should have been done better.

Room Tip: I actually preferred the West facing rooms at the back as they were quiet, still had a view of the s...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I stayed for a short vacation with my family. Our apartment was huge and well equipped (3 TV sets, a washing machine, a large balcony, etc.). Very nice swimming-pool area. Excellent breakfast buffet. The hotel is situated on the top of a hill and it was very windy during the days we stayed there. Having a car is almost indispensable to move as you have thousands of places to see within a few km radius: Lisbon and Estoril, Cascais, Sintra. Only two negative notes about wi-fi (I was able to connect my PC only in the very last day of the vacation) and maintenance (some of the wall sockets didn't work, a washbasin was clogged), but you can forgive this...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Linda-a-Velha
Belem
Jeronimos 8
#175 of 255 in Lisbon
Ibis Lisboa Alfragide
#1 of 2 in Amadora

Been to Solplay Hotel de Apartamentos? Share your experiences!