“Great place, good food!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Da Carlo
Price range: US$0 - US$136
Cuisines: French
La Cala de Mijas, Spain
“Great place, good food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

It was our first time at DaCarlo and the experience we had was Great! Very nice and cozy restaurant run by Italian family. They have a great Menu of the day for only 19 euros and the portions are pretty big. For he first time on the coast I got my steak cooked the way I ordered! Singer is also good, great choose of music. I would definitely go back there again! If you go there, for the starter i would recommend a Home Made Pate with caramelised onions, it was delicious (and im not a fan of a Pate)! Steak is pretty big and perfectly cooked. Caramel suffle for the desert- just melts in your mouth! So do not just walk by because from outside it doesnt look that good, get inside and take a look, ou will be surprised. :)
At the end of the night we had a little confusion: server brought us a bill and we paid for it without checking and only after the transaction was complete we noticed that we been charged for extra drinks. It was a little mistake as couple at the other table ordered the same thing as we did but had few extra drinks, anyway...they right away returned the overcharged amout and even offered couple free drinks bu we were too full to accept them :) but anyway- the service is very good!

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Svetlana D

Surrey UK
“one of the best meals we have had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

you musr try Da Carlo the meal was very good and a very keen price we will begoing back very soon

• Visited June 2012
Spain
“Can't wait to go again !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2011

The restaurant is very easy to find - on the N340 heading in the direction of Marbella, once you pass the turnoff for the Don Carlos Hotel and the Elviria commercial centre on your right, take the next turn off on your right just pass the Farmacía/Chemist sign and the restaurant is about 100 mts up on the left hand side.

It is nicely decorated and has a cosy feel inside while it also has a nice area outside (good for smokers) and I would imagine it is brilliant in the summer as it also has a large terrace area and bar with tables set around a central fountain feature. There is some very nice modern artwork on the wall and some of it is appeared to be by local artists and available for sale.

We had gone on Sat 12th Feb as we had seen mention of the opening of the restaurant in the local paper and that they had a new French Chef called Jean Baptiste Mazzoni who was preparing a special menu - and that we only had to pay what we thought the menu was worth ! Very interesting concept so we thought it worth a try.

We were warmly welcomed by the owners Carlo and Karen and quickly seated and provided with menus. We were given a glass of cava to enjoy as the waiter explained how the menu was going to work that night...and what a menu it was.!

The menu consisted of two canapes - one of a cheese pastry and the other of caramelised onions which were delicious. The two starters were a carpaccio with a crab mousse which was very tasty and then a fantastic fois gras with a fig chutney on fresh warm brioche. - apparently the chef made everything including the brioche - and was my favourite. The two main courses were great and my favourite was a salmon and tuna rolled in seaweed and served on a bed of noodles as the fish was cooked beautifully and the flavours were wonderful. Then, the meat course was a tornedos rossini topped with the delicious fois and served with creamy mashed potatoes..(which can be hard to find in Spanish restaurants)..the desserts were small tasters of everything on the menu including a mini creme brulee and mini meringue..all absolutely delicious...we had a good bottle of red wine (but I can't remember the name !!!). We felt it was a very good menu and well worth at least 50€ per person.

It was so good that we made arrangements for a group of friends to go last night (Friday 18th Feb) and the experience was just as good. This time I tried the warm goats cheese salad and split a massive côte de boeuf that was full of flavour, perfectly cooked and served with garlic pototoes and ratatouille. For dessert I had a lemon tart that was so fresh and tangy I could easily have had a second piece.
Other dishes ordered included a prawn & scallop plate, lamb chops and a steak with a gorgonzola sauce, all of which were highly praised - oh, and the Tiramisu dessert was delicious.
The red wine we had was a Baron de Ley but I also had a glass of the house wine, a Coto de Haya, which had a softer, vanilla taste and went very well with everything..;)

The chef certainly seems to know how to cook a good range of food as all the plates were going back empty to the kitchen. !

Looking forward to going to this restaurant again which is now well and truely on my - you must go - list.

Oh..and I loved one of the little fun notices by the "rest-rooms". It said something like, we love children but please keep yours at your table...Unsupervised children will be given a shot of expresso and a puppy to take home...!!! I like it...(and there were some children there on both nights and they were all welcomed and perfectly behaved).

• Visited February 2011