“'' Dreadful''”
Review of Ashfield House

Ashfield House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Killinick
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed here in January with my husband and dog. We chose the 'Danby Lodge' purposely because it was one of the few places that would actually allow us to keep our dog with us….Ireland is not exactly dog welcoming / friendly!!

We struggled to get into the 'chalet' as it was very dark and there were no outside lights to assist us with finding the keyhole…which proved a challenge to open! Once inside we were greeted with utter coldness…..the room was very, very cold…..despite the heating being on. Clearly the room had not been checked beforehand otherwise surely the temperature of the room would have been picked up.

Fortunately we had a couple of throws in the car which we used to cover us in addition to the duvet for the night! However, once in bed we were soon alerted to the fact that the headboard was very noisy….when my husband checked the headboard he found that it was completely free of the bed and wall and was being 'held in place' by a couple of rolled up towels…..so…..someone must have known about this problem beforehand!

My husband went to hang his jacket inside the wardrobe and was surprised….or not….to find an extremely mouldy sandwich on the top shelf! hence we did not use the wardrobe that night!

The last thing was the shower which after my husband used it I then stepped into it only to find the tray still full of water…..it was struggling to drain away as I suspect there was a blockage!

I don't think any of the above moans are too picky as the least you would hope to expect from a 'Best Western' is basic hygiene ….isn't it?? and it doesn't come cheap by the time they have added on their extra 20 Euros for the privilege of having your dog share your cold room with you!

Would I stay here again??……….absolutely not….I would rather share the car with my dog for the night!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hobbit101

Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed here overnight to catch the 0900 ferry the next morning. I have stayed here before and not had any problems. This time was a real let down. When I went to my room after check in, I went in and the room was very cold. No heat on in room, but, the lady at the front desk was very fast to get the boiler back on and the heat was going. The next thing was that there was no hot water. There was a failure with that boiler. As they were working on that, they kept resetting the circuit breaker and I had to keep resetting the alarm clock. Finally, about 9:30 pm they moved me to another room. I do not know what happened, but, at 2am I woke up and the alarm clock was flashing, it had lost power. I gave up and used my cel alarm. I left a wake up call with the other room and forgot to get a new one, but they did call the room. I did not sleep too well that night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar/restaurant area. It gets a little noisy as people leave and return...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Roger S
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stopped overnight here to get the early ferry from Rosslare. We received a friendly and helpful welcome. Our room was clean and warm, especially nice as it was wet and miserable outside. The continental breakfast was both good and good value. Sound-proofing between rooms was poor, but it seems to be in most hotels.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RASHFORD740
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We arrived by ferry in Rosslare about 18.00 hours.The hotel was a 15 minute drive straight down the hwy, easy to find. The receptionist was very friendly, but semmed to be a little befuddled. We were travelling with another couple and payed seperately, however she mixed up our room numbers and accounts. No great problem. We had a lovely dinner in the dining room and were served by friedly staff. Our room was surprisingly big and comfy and nicely furnished.The beds were great and the shower was one of the best. There was plenty of parking. I would recommend this place to all travellers and certainly would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Three of us stayed here after a road trip from Cornwall to Tipperary to buy a vintage lorry. We arrived late, after phoning to check it was OK, and were welcomed into the hotel by the night Porter. The room was huge and contained four beds; three singles and a double. The room was well furnished and very clean, and the shower was one of the best hotel showers I've ever used. We had to board the ferry very early the following morning so didn't stay for breakfast. Ideally located for the port of Rosslare, just ten minutes away. The hotel was quiet and we all slept very well. Highly recommended, and plenty of parking for vintage trucks too!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed here for one night, checking in was quick and we were directed to our room. This was a large attractive room, huge bed,sofa,table and chairs. Loads of space, not crowded like some 4star places I have stayed. The staff were all very helpful. Had a lovely meal in the evening. It was very handy for the ferry and we will definitely stay here again when we are in Ireland. Much better than the four star hotel we have stayed in Wexford before

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AngelaM007
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

First time in a Best Western and despite the independently owned tag, I thought the American target market meant a certain standard was guaranteed. Oh how wrong can you be! The hotel is conveniently located for those arriving or departing Ireland via Roslare. Our two rooms were clean and well maintained, though the lowest height setting on the bath seemed to be set for nobody much under 5'8" and the shower head at its max could have easily accommodated a pro basket ball player. A request for adjoining rooms due to mobility problems with one party member, meant we had thoughtfully been placed close to reception and restaurant on the ground floor. But before we could check in we had to comb much of the hotel for the receptionist. While the following morning, the older member of staff, who seemed to be the only front of house person on duty, busied herself about the place; one minute taking breakfast orders, the next running check-out. By way of a contrast, the two younger staff on duty on the night we arrived managed to forget one starter orders - leaving it in the kitchen for a good ten minutes after the other arrived at the table. They then seemed rather more interested in chatting to friends who had gathered at the bar. The food itself ranged from a truly excellent chowder through a tasty but cafe rather than three star stake and chips ( with gravy masquerading as pepper sauce) to a truly indigestible slice of turkey roll that was passed off as roast turkey. The vegetables in contrast must have been roasted. I can think if no other way to burn carrots! So if you want a clean, comfortable, not too expensive room to break your journey, this hotel should meet your needs. But maybe look elsewhere for your evening meal.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Buckleywells
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killinick
Talbot Wexford
#5 of 5 in Wexford
Ferrycarrig Hotel
Ferrycarrig Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ferrycarrig

Been to Ashfield House? Share your experiences!