“What a great find!”

Old Wills Farm
Old Wills Farm
“What a great find!”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We spent ages trawling the internet looking for somewhere to stay for one night in May 2014.
Although mainstream hotel chains were coming up as the best rated I still wasn't convinced, especially as they weren't very cost effective.

I happened to click on the "speciality lodging" tab and found this little place, and I am so glad I did!

We booked through one of the well known hotel/holiday booking sites with ease and I soon had an email from Jane (owner) just checking of our arrival time.

We booked the triple room which for us had 3 single beds, though it could have a Japanese futon if we chose this option. The arrangement wasn't perfect (a double bed would have been great) but the room for us (couple with toddler) was great, especially as everywhere else in the area didn't really accommodate our needs in one room.

We arrived around 5pm, and was greeted by Jane, she gave us a quick show of the downstairs sitting room we could use and showed us upstairs. The room was large, sunny and airy - all with wooden floors. The large room housed two of the single beds, a chest of drawers and bedside cabinets. We had an alarm clock and a small cupboard to hang clothing. Through a doorway which could be separated off with a curtain, was a lovely little room with a single bed, futon, tv/dvd combo and items to make a hot drink.

The bathroom was large and well decorated with bath/over-shower, toilet and basin. Jane had kindly provided lots of towels, toothpaste and shower gel and shampoo. The main bedroom also had some small chocolates! Jane made sure we were comfortable and brought us up a huge teapot of hot tea (I adored all the teacups, saucers and teapots Jane has!), juice for the little one and chocolate biscuits... it was just what we needed. Jane also checked roughly what time we would like breakfast in the morning.

We ate out and came in with no bother as we had keys to the front door as well as our room. We fell asleep early but the household was quiet and the area is also very secluded, quiet and dark.

Showers in the morning were lovely and hot and we went down to breakfast on time. All out places had been set on the big shared table (we were alone as the only guests) and Jane came out and offered hot drinks and toast. Cereal and and milk was all on the side for us to serve ourselves, along with a massive bowel of fresh fruit and yoghurt.

We had a menu of the usual hot items you expect at a B&B, and I had the scrambled egg on toast whilst my husband and little one were happy with the cereals, toast and fruit. The egg was delicious and was a huge portion that was perfect for setting us up for a busy day!

Our departure was easy and we couldn't thank Jane enough.

I would definitely recommend here and we would definitely visit again if in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
uk
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Had a lovely relaxing stay in Robert & Jane's farmhouse.Couldn't do enough for me & my wife was made to feel very welcome .We had a family wedding at Prested Hall ,and Robert kindly took us there in his vintage MG tourer ,absolutely made my wife's day the weather was absolutely beautiful it was a perfect day.Thank you so much for your hospitality. Highly recommend a stay here once again Thank you .Steve @ Linda

Room Tip: All rooms very nice,but i believe there are rooms with bigger ensuite .
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stephenamis
North West Hampshire
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights just after Xmas with our dog whilst visiting family. Good welcome pleasant breakfast and decent location. Twin room had a small additional room with TV which was great for us. Local pub (Bell) was excellent and only 10mins walk, super food and very friendly. Only downside is no food on Sunday night or Mondays else we would have eaten there every night. Sun Inn however was dreadful in every regard. Would stay again

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This a is a traditional farmhouse B and B. Our room was lovely. Tea and biscuits on arrival and a delicious home-cooked breakfast. Good base for touring Essex. Lots of homely touches like fresh flowers and lavender bags. A good value for money stay in a family farm home.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I will start with the negatives: None.

Positives: everything. Everywhere is spotless. The bed is comfy. The shower is powerful and hot. The owners could not be more welcoming and helpful if they tried. It was like going round to see my mum. The breakfast was incredible a fantastic choice of fruit cereal and best of all a great full English breakfast.

All I have left to say is a big thank you for making me feel so welcome and if I'm in the area again I will be contacting you.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Dazeyres
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I recently stayed at Old Wills Farm (Friday 11th Oct) when attending a friends wedding at Prested Hall.

My title of this review sums up Old Wills Farm perfectly, from the warm and friendly welcome on arrival and the little extra touches offered really helped to make this occasion a fabulous experience.

My room had all the facilities necessary, and felt homely and warm with some extra touches like toothpaste, shower gels included (full size not standard complimentary hotel types) which are not normally include in Bed & Breakfast accommodation. I got a fabulous nights sleep in probably one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in and the linen was of extremely high quality.

I would highly recommend this accommodation this anyone wishing to stay in the area.

Jayne & Robert your hospitality could not not have been more appreciated I wish you both well and I would not hesitate to book with you again.

Ruby :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We have just returned from a six-night stay at Old Wills Farm and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Jane and Robert made us feel very much at home and our two little dogs were also welcome. It was spotlessly clean and we had a wonderful breakfast each day. The room was well-furnished and the bed very comfortable. My husband and his brother were walking the Essex Way and it was a very convenient midway point for me to ferry them to and from their starting and finishing points each day. We have every intention of returning there for a 'normal' break some time in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Feering
Best Western Marks Tey Hotel
#1 of 1 in Eight Ash Green
Wivenhoe House
Wivenhoe House
#1 of 1 in Wivenhoe

Been to Old Wills Farm? Share your experiences!