“The wife enjoyed it....so did the mother in law...so all's well.”
Review of The Lobster Pot

The Lobster Pot
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Burtonport
Price range: US$7 - US$64
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We got o Ireland and especially Donegal regularly and in fact my family hail about two generations ago from the area. Previous to the visit and the inception of Trip Advisor my wife and visited the Lobster Pot on grey and dreary day...and was made welcome and while we were the only two about the meal supplied was excellent and if you can please the Mrs. Good on Yeh!
In September the mother in law wanted to day visit the island and while the time spent on it was.... good . The next time we go I am hoping that the place is open.!
Any way the return journey back prompted hunger pangs and so the Monstrous Red Lobster on the wall attracted the Clan.. Now I am not a fish fan....so I was thinking this is a fishing port...could be limited choice. No good choice all round ...the Fish and Chips supplied to the coniseurs i.e the wife etc went down well and happy faces and tummies all round.
God craic and good food ***** star all round.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

We were a party of 5 adults, 2 teens and 2 kids who visited on last New Year's Eve. We had left a message about booking earlier in the day and had't heard back so turned up on spec at 6:30pm. They weren't expecting us but quickly got us set up at a large table in a raised area where they tend to put larger groups. There were quite a few other diners there already, and another large group arrived after us. The atmosphere was quietly buzzy. Our orders were taken promptly and the young wait staff were friendly and attentive without going overboard. We just ordered mains as we didn't want to be there longer than an hour or so. There is a special kids' menu which was very good value e.g. less than €3 for nuggets or chicken burger, and chips. They also offered chicken goujons, which were a couple of euro more, mild chicken curry with rice, fish and chips and sausages and chips (I think! ). The adult mains were around the €16 - 23 mark. I had a trio of monkfish, cod wrapped in bacon and a Dublin bay prawn, on a bed of mashed potato and asparagus. It was one of the best meals I've had in a long time and I savoured every mouthful. Everyone else was happy with their meal, and some of our party are regulars there every summer. The affable American owner comes out to chat to the diners and keeps a personal eye on everything. It was all very comfortable and delicious. I'll definitely be back!

1  Thank paffle29
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Visited with family (party of 6) and the food and service were both excellent. Food was delicious and a must try is a platter for two known as the sink or swim platter. Couldnt fault the service and would highly recommend a visit if in the Burtonport area.

Reviewed 24 September 2011

You know how you sometimes pick a wine based solely on picture on label? The only reason we came to the Lobster Pot was because they have a giant lobster on the outside of the restaurant. So glad we did.
I hesitate to say we had a "quintessential" Irish experience, at the risk of sounding really touristy, but we surely had a wonderful time that will not be forgotten - full of good stories, and good beer. Kind of why people go to Ireland in the first place, right?
The Lobster pot is one of those rare gems that is simultaneously a nice place to eat without being stuffy. It would work for a nice evening out, a casual dinner, or a few (aka 7 or so) pints in the evening.
The food was fantastic. My husband had a bacon-wrapped fish that was to die for. I had wanted a whole lobster, because I had never gotten one before. Our host politely explained that it was off-season, so they only had frozen, but he would give it to me for 1/2 price. I really appreciate that kind of honesty. They could have easily charged me the full amount and I may have not noticed the difference, so that was really cool.
Of course, the best part of the evening our fabulous company - all 6 of us! I have never had so much fun at a nearly empty restaurant! Just my husband and I, another couple from the UK, and the owners were there for hours, drinking, sharing pictures, and telling stories. The best story being about Johnny Knoxville and the Giant Lobster. I won't tell it all here, of course. You'll have to go there and hear it for yourself!
Thanks Lobster Pot for a wonderful evening!

Reviewed 14 August 2011

Lovely seafood restaurant with an extensive menu as well as grill section. We been to this restaurant on many occasions and will always return. The seafood platter is gorgeous, ribs drip of the bone and also the titanic (huge plate of seafood for 2) is excellent. Nice and reasonably priced menu for the children too. Staff very attentive and accommodating. The owners have a very warm welcome for you open armed. If your near Burtonport, this place must be tried!!!