“Simply Stunning”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I have eaten at the laughing dog on two or t three occasions and I have never been disappointed. The food is of a very high standard and is well cooked. Their chocolate brownie pudding is very yummy! And the complementary bread at the start of the meal is nice and newly baked.
The service is good.

1  Thank MidWalesMissh

Reviewed 17 September 2011

This is a cute traditional pub in a small village and we were expecting the normal sort of bog standard bar meals that so many places serve. We could not have been more wrong! The fish and chips were the best I have ever tasted, cooked to perfection and served promptly by friendly staff. The ales on tap are also superb. Sadly we did not have room for dessert as the list of tempting puddings sounded fantastic! Well done Laughing Dog, we will certainly be back for more - I would recommend it to anyone!

1  Thank C C
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I visited the Laughing Dog on a Tuesday night in early September on my own while away on business. Decor wise it's a typical British pub: lots of black beams with no obvious structural function, Artex ceilings etc, though it looked as though some of the fittings were quite new and the relative lack of horse brasses, old fishing rods and scenes of country life was a bonus and gave the whole place a bright and spacious feel. The waitress / barmaid was friendly and helpful, even tracking down a copy of a paper to keep me occupied. Food was definitely a cut above the usual; nice fresh warm bread, delicious salad, vegetables that were cooked just right. I had the battered softshell crab with sweet chilli dip, followed by slow cooked pork belly. Both dishes arrived promptly, warm and were very good (I particularly enjoyed the crab). Only criticism might be that they could have done with a little more depth of flavour (garlic or thyme perhaps?)

Did I mention the beer? It's a free house and they do several nice ales on tap. Sadly I was restricted to a half as I was driving. But well worth a return visit.

The bar section also has a very cute collie who clearly spends much of its days circulating round the pub looking to be stroked. With me this involved leaning against my legs as I was paying and looking adoringly up at me.

All in all a very pleasant pub, well worth a visit. Howey is a nice little place tucked away from the main road too, so there isn't the common country pub thing of trying to eat with lorries thundering past.

2  Thank TristanHe
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We ate here because it was convenient for our location, despite mixed reviews on trip advisor and Qype. Not expecting a great deal, we were pleasantly surprised on all fronts.

The menu had a good selection of options and the garlic mushrooms with blue cheese were delicious. A substantial vegetable dhansak sated the need for vegetables and the chips that came with other main courses were legendary!

We found the service to be efficient and attentive, so clearly had a much better experience than other reviewers.

Reviewed 23 October 2010

service was good. food is expensive and not much on. had to send it back!

5  Thank chloe12345_10