“Special place to stay in Wales”
Review of Three Wells Hotel

Three Wells Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Howey B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We enjoyed a very pleasant stay at The Three Bells and it was exactly what we needed in terms of peaceful location, comfort and excellent food. The room (15) was more like a suite on the top floor with lovely views and adjoining sitting room. Evening meal delicious and breakfast the next morning. The staff were very polite and helpful. We are looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 August 2013

first time we have been here for a meal , we had been given as a present two meal vouchers so we thought we would use , when we spoke to the young lady what a welcome , yes you can use the two vouchers ,yes you can use them for the bar menu ,nothing was a probelm whichade the start of are meal stress less , excellant food and very good service will come again thanks

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2013

As usual when I booked this hotel for a weekend break with some friends I really didn't know what to expect,(its always a bit of a lottery!) but this time I unearthed a real gem in the heart of Wales. Location was peaceful without being too remote. Rooms were spacious, clean and our room (rm2) had lovely views over the small lake at the front of the hotel. Food ranged from simple bar food to more haute cuisine and along with drinks was all reasonably priced. Staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. Not a budget hotel but those happy to pay a bit more this is definitely worth considering.

Room Tip: Room 2 is a large double with nice view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I can sympathise with the recent reviewer ''Onlyliveonce'' who rated the value for money as poor. Our first stay was very good in every department really, the only downsides were those consistent with an old building which new owners are slowly getting to grips with.
But our second visit cost us £95 a night also, which was very poor value and the food had gone up in price also, making our visit expensive, as that reviewer had discovered.
It seems we had the same room, a large anonymous room, costing even out of peak season £190 for 2 nights, not good value at all. NO way!
I would take issue with the owner's reponse that the reviewer was being unrealistic in the 21st century as regards prices. I say the owner is being unrealistic in a RECESSION, when people are being forced to either stay at home, or seek good value for money. £95 a night for what we got was appalling value for money, quite frankly. At a time when everyone is drawing in the belts, these places need to offer top value not top prices, especially as the hotel is somewhat in need of updating.
No, maybe we got a good deal last time, because this time the value was very poor indeed.

Room Tip: Get one at discount!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Traveller3333333
Reviewed 11 July 2013

The location is very tranquil over looking a small lake with swallows swooping to catch their supper, horses grazing, bird feeders busy providing points of interest. Really quiet, no neighbours or traffic as it's a short way from the A483 but very easy to find.
I booked a single room (Room 5)which had a double bed and toilet-shower room. TV with free-view, toiletries and surprisingly bottled water, chocolate and handmade crisps which were very tempting. There is a hair drier and even a hot water bottle so they have thought of everything! I had a view over the fields at the back of the premises but I was over the kitchem area. I love people to be happy at work but I could hear ALL their conversations as they prepared evening meals and breakfast. I'd stayed to avoid an early start for a meeting in Llandod. however I was`aware of staff chatting and clearing up late after the restaurant closed and then was woken at 6.33 a.m. by staff laughing, chatting and generally banging around while they prepared for the 7.00 breakfast. A lot of the conversations shouldn't be heard by guests...!!
The bar and restaurant area was lovely and the menu was excellent My breakfast was really good and I overheard other residents checking out thanking the staff for the quality of service and the splendid rooms so there must be rooms which were better than the one I was allocated. The numerous steps and uneven flooring may make it difficult for people with mobility issues. Room 3 is on the ground floor with patio doors onto the pathway to the car park but is adjacent to the bar area. In fairness it was very good value for money and in comparison with the big Hotels in town it's a million times better in my opinion.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues I'd ask when you book as there a lot of uneven surfaces, steps and s...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank whatahol
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stayed here for our Wedding Anniversary. Great room and excellent food. Breakfast to die for and as for the Dinner....superbly presented and full of flavour. Try the steak - cooked to perfection and very tender. Not the cheapest Hotel but well worth what we paid.

Room Tip: Room 14 has a separate lounge area and lovely bathroom. The view across the lake is very nice. Hospi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We stayed 2 nights and booked via one of the so-called bargain booking sites. We thought we would book a high-end room and paid £95 a night.
For that, we got a large room which could do with updating and had no character.
By the time we had ate meals in the evening, we had spent well over £300 for 2 days and I am afraid that for the food we had and the room we had, that was way too much.
It really grated to pay the bill, to be honest and although we love the area we would never pay that sort of money and IF we ever got a deal on a room there, we would eat in Llandrindod Wells.

Room Tip: Pay less than £60 a night.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Liveonelife
threewe2, Owner at Three Wells Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Dear 'Only Live Once',

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel; we're sorry that you had a disappointing stay. It is particularly unfortunate as it jars with much of the very positive feedback that we have been receiving recently.

As trip advisor is anonymous, we can't identify your reservation, but if you paid £95.00 a night then you probably stayed in our family room, which explains why you thought that it was "large" but not "high-end". One of our Premier Suites would perhaps have suited you better; or a standard double room would have been cheaper. I'm not sure why you were expecting a "bargain"; I think perhaps you were mislead by a third-party site and I would recommend in future booking directly through our own website for the best prices and the most accurate descriptions.

I would also suggest that, since the majority of the reviews that you have written on tripadvisor to date (12/6/13) fall into the "terrible" category, then perhaps your price expectations are unrealistic given the cost pressures facing all hotels in the twenty-first century. Especially those that use fresh local produce and not defrosted pre-prepared meals as so many pubs and hotels do these days!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Howey
Glen Usk Hotel
Greylands Guest House
#3 of 31 in Llandrindod Wells
0 mi away
Disserth Caravan & Camping Park

Been to Three Wells Hotel? Share your experiences!