Open today: 08:00 - 18:00
Review Highlights
Put it on you to visit list

I visited Tiger Kingdom in Chiang Mai for the 7th time on 1st June 2024. Lots of improved changes... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
FrequentFlier585811
The good and the bad

After visiting here, I agree with both the positive and negarives reviews, to an extent. While it... read more

Reviewed 19 February 2024
254jamesi
New York City, New York
via mobile

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Mae Rim
from £110.79
from £133.59
from £79.20
from £93.08
4,704 results
All reviews big cats tiger kingdom chiang mai beautiful animals clams take pictures an amazing experience animal lovers well taken care cubs mugged cage pet sleepy photos trainers awake
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I was unsure about visiting this place and had already decided to give the Tiger Temple in Bangkok a miss because of the reports of animal abuse. However after heading so many good reports about Tiger Kingdom, I decided to see it for myself and make my own mind up and I was pleasantly surprised.

Its important to remember these are captive Tigers, they have grown up around humans and wouldn't survive in the wild. The older ones are fat because they don't have to chase food and the little ones see humans as their parents because that is how they are fed. The keepers did have sticks but I only saw them use them to run them along the ground to play with the Tigers or gentle taps to discipline the young tigers. In the wild, being clobbered by their mothers paw to discipline them would be a lot more painful, Tigers are a lot stronger than humans and play quite rough with each other. The slightly bigger cubs did seem frustrated the were not allowed to bite but they did not seem to fear the trainers, just testing to see what they could get away with!

I'm no expert but they didn't seem drugged. The were laying around sleeping but if food or a toy appeared they quickly perked up to play or eat. One small Tiger spotted a volunteer coming from the other side of the park and started bouncing on its front paws similar to a dog seeing its owner, when the volunteer came into the enclosure it was play time and the Tiger clearly knew this.

The one thing I would say is that the trainers seemed to think they needed to entertain you, letting you hold a tail or paw or lying on the Tiger. I was just memorised being in the presence of such beautiful creatures this was not needed. I got plenty pictures just letting the Tigers do their thing but I guess they are trying to earn tips by keeping the tourist happy.

Would Tigers be better off in the wild? - of course. Is it a shame that they have to put up with tourists to make money to keep them and breed them? - absolutely. But the fact is numbers of Tigers in the wild are dropping and while its not ideal, the Tiger Kingdom is successfully breading Tigers in reasonable conditions (for Tigers in captivity). Of course this could be better with bigger enclosures and more 'breaks' from the Tourists.

I encourage people to see for themselves and bear in mind its not wild tigers you are seeing, its a compromise.

3  Thank Cattykit
Reviewed 30 November 2011

I read some unfavorable reviews about the Tiger Temple and decided that tigers weren't going to be a part of my Thailand vacation. However, my tour guide told us about Tiger Kingdom (he also heard the same rumors about Tiger Temple near Kanchanburi and had very good comments about Tiger Kingdom in Chiang Mai) and I am SSOOOOOO glad that I went!

My four friends and I went in early afternoon. Upon arrival we were greated by a friendly staff member. We paid for the combo: medium and small tigers (about $28 USD. We took a pick-up cab from our hotel and the driver waited for us). We waited approximately ten minutes before we were guided into the park, but we had to wait about twenty minutes before we got our first interaction with the medium sized tigers. We each had plenty of time to pet the tigers. They were all lounging and taking afternoon naps. I'm no animal expert, but I think the afternoon is when most animals sleep (my African safari did not have afternoon drives because it's to hot for the animals to hunt). so all the tigers were just lazily lounging around. We got to rub their bellies which they love (there are signs encouraging you to do so. And also lots of "don't do this" safety rules).

We spent about 30 minutes with the medium sized cats and then we went to the smaller tigers. We waited another 10-15 minutes before we were allowed inside their pen. The smaller tigers are 4-5 months old and very active and so darn cute!

There are signs everywhere asking visitors to report any signs of abuse or concern. All the handlers were cheerful and friendly and seemed to have good relationships with the tigers. If you're in Chiang Mai then a visit here is on the MUST do list. You won't regret it!

3  Thank TakeMeAway3333
Reviewed 30 November 2011

My friends and I were very excited to visit Tiger Kingdom. Afterall, we are going to encouter with the King of the Jungle. When we reached there, we've found out that it is quite costly to spend 5 -15 minutes with the beast.

We've decided to take the "medium tiger" . After paying our fees, we are lead to the enclosure. The medium tiger was quite large. The staff convinced us to take the grown up because the grown up tigers are much calmer compared to the young ones.

The result is, awesome! We loved every minute of it. It is scary, unpredictable and at the same time we are happy. They are so beautiful. You should visit Tiger Kingdom when you are in Chiangmai.

Reviewed 29 November 2011

My grown daughter and I spent a week in Chang Mai. We stumbled upon wonderful experiences and sights. We met our "just call me when you want a ride" guide, Boy.
I called him Mr. Boy..Being from GA . boy is a derogeratory term! After seeing and riding the elephants ( which we knew about) and seeing the orchids, Mr Boy took us to the TIger Kingdom. I hadn't even know about it. My daughter and I visited the medium tigers, 15 months old. Beautiful creatures. We followed the rules , took pictures , vidoe , all the while in disbelief that we were really petting these large animals. They are very content and their trainers told me that they love the tigers in Thailand...I did too. We had linch utdoors watching the large togers play with the trainers. I wish I had chosen all sizes to visit. I could have stayed all day. We odered lunch off the menu and it was not very good...but the view was worth it.

1  Thank Pamela S
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We visitied Tiger Kingdom in May 2011. We were a little apprehensive at first as we were concerned that the Tiger's would be drugged or treated poorly in order for us to get so close - however this was not the case at all! The Tigers were active, the trainer's were great. Would definitely return!!

Date of experience: May 2011