“I don't understand the rest of the votings”

Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Mae Rim
Pattaya, Thailand
“I don't understand the rest of the votings”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights. To be honest the best thing was the low price but now we know why.
Our expectations have not been high but we have been disappointed though.
The rooms are big but not clean. From day to day we were missing towels. Bedclothes have not been changed daily. Our dishes which we placed outside of our room have not been taken away after two days. The breakfast was very basic but even though most of the things have not been refilled once empty. Very less staff.
The hotel is about 25 km outside from chaing mai but it was not possible at all to get a taxi with a taximeter. The receiptionist asks where you like to go and after a few calls tells you a price for your journey. The proposed prices were absolutely unrealistic for Thailand standards. There are no Tuc Tucs or other public transportation opportunities so you have no choice.

The pool was very cold, thats why nobody really use it. I was very supriyed to see the Tripadvisor awards shown everywhere at the receiption area. Ihave no understanding for this at all. The hotel does also by far not fullfil any CENTARA standards.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Thailand T
bluweyze, Owner at Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 31 December 2012
I am really sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that our standards had slipped in the areas that you mentioned. This was not our normal standard.Had I known whilst you were here I could have dealt with most issues except for the pool temperature, like most pools in thailand that depends upon the weather.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We chose this hotel because it is affiliated to Centara which is a very respected brand in Thailand and because it is a member of their Boutique Collection. In spite of that, the room rate was very attractive at around 50 US$ per night which means the rooms are good value.
The setting is very nice with guestrooms scattered around a pond and in the gardens. There is a Spa which we did not try and other facilities such as a small gym with limited equipment and 2 swimming pools, very pleasant but with few sun loungers (5 in total at the upper pool). Wi Fi is provided free and worked very well in the room and the restaurant. It was erratic though by the pool. The guestrooms feature door locks with proximity cards which is a nice security feature but you are given a card with your room number stuck on it! Now the major letdown with this resort is the restaurant called ESCAPE and once you have tried it you really want to escape it! On the first night, it was really like Fawlty Towers! My wife ordered a Mai Tai and the waitress apologized and said they had no mint! We then ordered 2 Margaritas, it took 45 minutes to get them and they were prepared with blue curacao and were everything but what a Margarita should be. We ordered 2 very basic Thai dishes which were barely OK and we left the restaurant 2 hours and 15 minutes after we arrived. The restaurant is seriously short handed. The following morning for breakfast it was again very poor with the cheapest ingredients you can buy, including the strawberry jam which tasted everything but strawberry, fruits which you can buy by the side road!. We ended up having breakfast, most lunches and dinners outside of the resort. We also noticed that most foreign guests did the same as we saw them in the places we went to eat. Only the locals seem to patronize the restaurant. I do not blame the servers who are trying their best but there is simply not enough staff and no leadership/direction whatsoever. It is a shame as otherwise the environment and the setting are really pleasant but they need to fix the restaurant.

Room Tip: By the pond if you can.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TequilaPepita
We have to hold our hands up, on Monday 21st our restaurant really suffered due to a combination of staff sickness and (for us) a huge amount of guests seeking to eat at the same time. It is the nightmare of boutique establishments and I can only apologise for the service that you received. It is an experience that we will try our hardest not to repeat.
I felt that the breakfast is a sufficient offering for a hotel of our pricing structure. It includes: choice of 3 juices, 3 cereals. bacon, ham, English sausage, sauteed potatoes, baked beans, ham, eggs cooked to your choice, yogurts, breads for toast, marmalade and jam, croissants, banana cake, fried rice, rice soup,tea and coffee. We have recently tried to improve the offering, now I am at a loss to know what to do.
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 December 2012

We booked this hotel on our 3daytrip to Chiang Mai. Unfortunately it is really outside of Chiang Mai. You have to have a car or go by taxi. Taxi ride from town to hotel is 600 bath. The rooms are more or less clean but not in a very good standard. The bathroom smells akward. Our room was not cleaned - they forgot it on the second day. Unfortunately the person on the reception did not understand as we complained. The breakfast is not very good either. No variety of food but not too expensive. At least the stuff smiles friendly but for sure we won't come back here.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah D
I apologise for you unsatisfactory stay. I cannot understand why the room was not cleaned on one day, this is unacceptable.
Reviewed 17 December 2012

This hotel is located in Mae Rim, isolated from the busy town. It wouldn't be convenient for those who don't have their own car to travel. Travelling alone, I managed to get to the hotel with the help of Chiangmai people and the Song-Taew driver.

Booked last minute with great price totally 2 nights; 1 in Deluxe Sutie Garden room and the other in Grand Villa Spa room.
The room and the decoration is great. I really love it. The only problems are the blanket and the pillow case smelled like it was not dried well. The private jacuzzi in Grand Villa Spa sometimes worked sometimes did not work.

The breakfast is buffet but there are not many selections of food. I didn't mind that, though. Anyway, it tasted great. I ordered lunch and dinner too and it was fantastic, plenty of food per dish and reasonable price for hotel. :)
Service quality is OK for me, nothing special. Staff are polite and moderately friendly.

I would recommend this hotel to anybody who would like to travel with their family to relax and get away from busy area. This will definitely be a great place for you. But remember, you really need a car!! Otherwise, you can't go anywhere but stay in the hotel, enjoying the facilities they provided for you (swimming pool, gym room, pedal boat, library, in room jacuzzi or DVD player with DVD that you can borrow from the front desk and bycicle. I travelled alone and decided to cycling around the area to visit the water fall and the tiger kingdom and my butt hurt for 3 days. :( it was way too far to ride a bycicle if you're not a cycler.

Go with your family, you will love this place!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
bluweyze, Owner at Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 19 December 2012
I'm sorry that you had problems with the room and drains that smelled. I admit that this room type is not the greatest of designs in the bathroom but the smell is unacceptable and I will research as to the problem. We recently undertook a review of guest satisfaction with breakfast and it had positive reviews but we are in the process of improving the breakfast when we have buffets
Reviewed 11 December 2012

We should have loved this place, except for some fatal flaws with the rooms. we had a family vacation suite.

Pros: beautiful grounds, nice pools/pond, walking trails, free DVDs, rooms well-appointed. great playground for kids. great free wifi throughout.

Cons: bathrooms smelled terrible from when we arrived throughout -- like the drains were not draining, and there is very poor ventilation. no windows that open in the restrooms. the tub is in the kitchen/dining room, which doesn't help with this. Also, the transportation fees to nearby places are very high. Breakfast is not worth it -- standard meats put under a fan and cold as ice when you arrive, terrible coffee. Hard to get anywhere else to eat though.

Room Tip: maybe you can check in advance if there are any bathroom issues.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank IDES4
Grass Valley, California, United States
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I had decided to seek a room at the AWAY Resort for wifi....but found it to be of no use to me unless you like using dial up....i talked to the owner Peter directly about this and he said they are trying to upgrade and improve that issue...for me that would be a deal breaker in the future and I think people should be told that it is not reliable. As a waitress I was a little disappointed in the service at the restaurant,grant it it was slow and i was the only one there but that should not diminish the service. The staff needs a little more training. For instance, when a customer has been served do not disappear completely, a follow up of "how is everything?" would be good and then stand by should a check or to go box be needed. Overall, the property is spectacular and the intentions are good from the staff to provide the best service they can...they just need a little more guidance.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
bluweyze, Owner at Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
I am sorry that the Wi-Fi in your room was slow, I know how frustrating it can be, even though there was good coverage in the lobby. With 12 acres and 1,000 trees we have one of the most difficult locations to provide full Wi-Fi coverage and it is not helped that Thai internet speeds do not match those of a country like USA. Out Wi-Fi system was getting old and it only took one of the 9 relay routers to operate slow and guests could receive slow signals. We are during this week invested in renewal of our entire Wi-Fi system, with modern powerful machines, so that our guests can receive a good signal. We will,of course, continue to provide all Wi-Fi on a complimentary basis.
Osaka, Japan
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Relaxing, enjoyable, how much I wish I was there now. Spending half the day at the resort and half at one of the many nearby activities is the way to go. Tiger Kingdom Elephant Camp, Elephant Home, Queen Sirkit Botanical Gardens, and many other places are close by.
We traveled a month is Thailand staying mainly at 5 star places. Yet this was were I enjoyed most at better a half to a third of the price. The grounds are beautiful. Sitting in either of the pools, over looking tier small lake with the hills behind it, is just magic. With two pools you could always feel as if you were almost alone. This resort has a real sense of space and peacefulness, even when kids are playing nearby. Thailand is supposed to be the land of smiles, at this resort it is. From the grounds people sweeping the leaves up, everyone greets you with a big bright smile, how I remember Thailand from 20 plus years ago. (The English owner, Peter needs to join in on this). The staff back up their smiles with very helpful and caring service.

The resort is a perfect base for those who have cars or motorbikes. We didn't have our own transport, but the resort has a van with a very careful considerate driver at reasonable rates. Make sure when he gives you the care with the number to call him to pick you up that he marks the correct number. Elephant Camp called the top number on the card for us (which was Away's sales department) and they didn't pass on the message!!

Downside
This is not the place to be for nightlife, restaurant choice (there restaurant is adequate) or shopping. Its Away, a place to get away and relax. Bring your insect repellant one of our 3 evenings we were bothered by mosquitos around the grounds.
The baths are just too big and take an age to fill.
I felt as if I got to know the repair man! But he was so fast, polite and helpful, with everything from fixing the aircon to telling me I just needed to press the eclectic jug switch much harder, that the many small faults didn't seem an issue. I am use to staying much more expensive places so at Aways rates and for the atmosphere of the resort I can accept a few faults.

Room Tip: They have a wide range to room types, check their web page and find whats best for you.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank GBflysagain
bluweyze, Owner at Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Mosquitoes are a problem during this season unfortunately so repellent is recommended.At your suggestion I will try to smile more, but I'm very pleased that my staff reflected true Thai traditions.