“Nice environment.”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Mae Rim
Dorset
“Nice environment.”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This hotel is located about 30 minutes from Chaing Mai so it means you have to depend on the hotel for all meals, etc. The rooms are scattered around a small lake in what seems to be an old banana plantation so very picturesque, and the rooms are comfortable, clean and well equipped but the hot water system let them down on occasions. We would go back.

Room Tip: .Check the water heater and ask to be moved if they can't fix it.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OldStriker
Peter B, Owner at Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
I am pleased that you enjoyed most of your stay but disappointed that you had hot water problems. Every villa has its own hot water system but we have had some problems during the past month or so and we are undertaking a refurbishment of each system to cure the problem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Ningbo, China
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Travel with 2 kids and 2 elder. We booked 3 rooms and stayed first for 4 nites, then another 1 night. Size of the room and cleanliness is great, problem is with the bathroom in our room ( room with big bath tub, which we dont use coz is just too big and the water is too small) and kids room is quite old and the exhauster is not on in our room so it got some mouldy smell... (room 19&20).

Got 1 bad experience with another guest, when I take our kids to kids pool , ther's one guy is sunbathing and he is not happy hearing my kids voice when entering the pool. And then I politely ask the guy that he actually can just use adult pool on the other side. But he keep complaining and even said races things... Which I really fell sad that it can come out from him. Then another family with 3 kids come and this gentleman come to my rescue..cause is actually a public place and ofcourse kids is suppose to enjoy and scream and do what they love at pool, right.
So finally that guy move to the upside pool..... Thanks to that Irish Man with 3 kids!!

Breakfast is okay for us..

When we come back for our last night, we got room 14, which dont have any smell, but then at night the hotwater is broken!!!

The thai massage is excellent!! Even my mother in law, love it.
Me and my husband we did twice...

The hotel is great if you just stay and enjoy. The food variety is not that much, so we ended up ask taxi to send us to Four seasons for dinner -600baht for round trip and then another night to Steak of the day (600B)... Steak of the day is a must!!!!

We love this place, but if the water is still not fully repair... I dont think we want to be back in here on our next visit.

Room Tip: Not room 19&20. Not room 32... Water is even stops working and is just too small!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank yitravel
Thank you for your review and the detail of the good points. I apologise that you had hot water problems. Each room has its own individual system and in the last month or so some rooms have had problems. We are refurbishing the systems to cure the problem.In many cases it was the building design of the control systems so these are being ripped out and renewed.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This hotel with its kind and gentle staff gave us a warm welcome from the start to the end of our week. We felt able to relax in this calm serene hilltop garden hotel with its flowers and shady banana tamarind and teak trees, to read, to swim, simply to shift down gears. We sampled delicious Thai food made from scratch, including the more unusual Northern recipes such as Lanna Pork which became a particular favourite of mine, accompanied by a cold glass of dry white wine or beer!
From this base we explored this fascinating Lanna region, into Chiangmai for the bustling markets encircled by its preserved stunning ancient walls and surviving moats which in time gone by provided the city's main defences! We also explored the mountains above with its smiling and colourful hill tribe people, the original indigenous people of this mountain jungle region of Thailand.
Feeling full of trepidation we also booked onto the most memorable experience of spending a day with the elephant rescue centre feeding, washing and riding them. Nothing could have prepared me for the emotions that contact with these giant but gentle beasts would bring.
This was followed by a wonderful day exploring the King's Summer Palace with its wonderful gardens, roses of every type and orchids nestled everywhere on the trees and rock faces, whilst dotted about the poinsettias and Bougainvillia were resplendendent in full colour and some ten feet or more tall!
The temples are wonderfully alive, visited frequently by the community it serves, adorned by flower garlands and gold leaves bearing messages to Buddha. Tired feet and head full of the day's trip we enjoyed cocktails on the elegant teak terrace, and the absolute must of a Thai massage. After three hours of absolute timelessness and bliss,mind and body; all aches and pains banished at the hands of our two smiling and thoughtful masseurs.
At the recommendation of the hotel we ventured out in the evening also to eat on a boat floating down the Ping river, past the old temples and older Thai houses and gardens which line it. A wonderfully romantic experience for all especially the inquisitive!
The rooms are elegant and private, with lovely views of the lake below. The swimming pools gave us the daily opportunity to refresh and enjoy the sun. The gym had a variety of equipment and was cool so allowed for a good workout!
Overall I cannot fault this wonderful hilltop home away from home! And the team's unintrusive warm hospitality.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leonetta H
Peter B, Owner at Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you for your delightful review. I am pleased that you enjoyed both your stay in our resort and also some of the many attractions that the Chiang Mai area has to offer.
Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The lodge is situated amongst a scenic garden setting with a lake, swimming pool, restaurant and so forth. The bungalows were well kitted and spacious - there was even a DVD player, which was nice since most lodges don't provide these.

You need a car when you stay here because the lodge is not walking distance from anything, but our little mini bar was well stocked and we always hire a car when we visit in Thailand, so we were sorted. If you don't have a car you will need to dine at the hotel's restaurant and make use of taxi's to get you to the nearby attractions and markets.

Our bathroom was very spacious, the shower was the largest I have had in a long time in Thailand, it was almost as large as the bungalow showers you get when you stay at the upmarket lodges at Railey Beach (near Krabi).

Tony and I enjoyed staying here, and what I liked best was that they had an little exchange library. I read quite a bit when I am on vacation, and a book exchange is such a joy to discover if you are an avid reader (in the middle of no-where especially).

We visited Mae Rim enroute to friends in Chang Doa and stayed over to see the attractions in the area. The Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens is so large that you actually drive through it in your car! There are several must stop places like the green houses - the highlight of this park. The Siam Orchid Gardens and the Insect zoo was also worth visiting.

Attractions to avoid = the snake shows where the poor reptiles are kept in the most disgusting conditions, and then they are poked and prodded to strike out and 'preform' for visitors. The Monkey School is as disgusting with the poor primates chained up and forced to preform.

Tiger Kingdom is a shocker - although the park is clean and the small cages are clean the poor tigers are harassed daily - or lets say all day everyday. What possible enjoyment can these poor drugged tigers derive from being pawed and prodded (for human pleasure) all day. As I have said before - there is ZERO conservation value in the pet, play and pay practice so many tourist support and attractions promote.

I am docking a point from the hotel's rating because of the hotel staff promote visiting the Tiger Temple, The Monkey School and Snake Park - I suppose they do it for the commission (kick-back) - but should stop doing so.

Room Tip: We had a bungalow right at the end (far side) of the main lodge which meant it was quieter and we on...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter B, Owner at Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed the resort. Regarding the 'animal shows' I agree with your views and I personally don't ever advise people to go but we try to serve our guests and like it or not many people enjoy these type of attractions so we list and assist people to experience them along with everything else in the area if they show an interest. We do not receive 'kickbacks' from any although we receive a cheaper lunch at Tiger Kingdom and that benefit is passed on to our guests. Unfortunately wherever there are tourists these type of activities will follow.
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The grounds and setting of this resort are really pretty and as they look on the website. Our daughter loved the free pedal boat on the small lake. The "Away" is well situated for all the activities that Mae Rim have to offer. Bungalows are large in size, offer good light and have large terrace. Breakfast selection was OK with a choice of either western or Thai breakfast
We had booked a villa with a hot tub, the hot tub was large but one problem was the lack of hot water which made it impossible to have a hot bath. The villa could do with refurbishment to include an LCD TVs instead of the ugly old set, the bathroom are old and again need a major refurbishment. WIFI was OK but far from perfect. The hotel offers a rather limited Ala Carte menu and the restaurant and bar lacks any atmosphere even though we were there between Christmas and New Year and was fully booked.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Peter B, Owner at Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
I am sorry that you had hot water problems. I do agree that there are a small number of bathrooms requiring refurbishment and it is in place for next month. Our menu is a very large list for a small hotel and I was regularly criticised by the management company for it being too big but it is catering for Thai food and Western food demands, maybe the Western options alone can be seen as limited.
Amsterdam
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

This place is not in walking distance of anywhere! When the bicycles are all children's sizes and there is only 1 scooter available for the entire place, you can get a bit stuck. However the pool area and grounds are lovely so there are worse places to be stranded.

I found the staff upon check in very unhelpful and ended up walking to a neighbouring resort and hiring a scooter from them (for half the price).

The staff in the restaurant were much friendlier and seeing as there was nowhere else to eat nearby, they got to know me. The menu was not brilliant but the green curry was tasty but make sure you ask for it Thai spicy!

I didn't like the mass tourist excursions. If you have any regard for animals, avoid Tiger Kingdom and the elephant parks. Beware of the mosquitoes too. Just ask the staff to spray your room in the evening.

The hotel will arrange taxis for you to get around but they are very expensive, especially as a single traveler. The people on the front desk have very limited English which I shall add as an observation, not a complaint - after all I am in Thailand!

I ended up sitting by the pool reading books in the lovely surroundings most of the time which I can't really complain about but that certainly isn't for everyone.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
I am confused regarding the complimentary bicycles, having just read a review complaining that there were no children's sizes your review says they are all children's sizes. In fact the first review was correct they are all adult sizes but for larger adults we need to raise the seats. We only have one motorbike to rent and usually that is sufficient but I am pleased your were able to hire elsewhere.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed 2 nites just before Xmas 2013, The hotel exterior landscaping looked lovely as we drove in, but we had a family suite which was old with a door that was chipped around the lock as if it had been previously pried open. the sofa was old with dirty stain marks. The bed sheets in the room did not feel crisp and fresh. There was no hot water on the first night and the maintenance staff informed that it would take a whole night for the heater to warm up. The jacuzzi and bath area were unnecessarily huge like a public turkish bath with cheap mozaic tiles. We were told by the staff that if we wanted to use the jacuzzi, it would take 5 hrs to fill up as the taps were slow.
The kitchen at the restaurant appeared to be understaffed. Apart from our table, there were only 2 other tables waiting for service but it took 45 mins for us to get our first order. The service staff seemed to have disappeared occasionally into the kitchen to help the kitchen staff.
Front reception/ Concierge staff were clueless when we asked about restaurant options in the vicinity. Whilst we stood at the reception searching for options on our mobile phones, one staff sat at the reception playing "Candy Crush" on his phone and the other silently flipped a plastic folder with outdated brochures!
I booked this hotel as it was listed as part of the Centara group, but my experience here was a big let down.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
I am sorry that you were not happy with the large family room. It was new 5 years ago but it does require refurbishment now especially as the grouting is starting to discolour. We will be undertaking a bathroom refurbishment next month. The Christmas/New Year period gives a huge increase of business to the restaurant but it didn't seem to be busy when you waited so I apologise that your meal took 45 minutes to prepare.