Howie's HomeStay
US$123
US$101
US$105
US$99
Proud Phu Fah Resort(Mae Rim)
US$95
US$88
Agoda.com
Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai(Mae Rim)(Great Value!)
US$48
US$38
US$32
US$29
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthai foodhome stayhis lovely wifeour honeymoonchiang maiincredible foodvacation experienceprivate oasisonce in a lifetimeluxury hotelevery cornerthought of everythingthai silkunique experiencea special placefour seasonsmemorable stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Howie's HomeStay is a true gem and the three days we spent there are unforgettable. Howie and his lovely wife Jerri are the perfect hosts and will make you feel at home immediately. As soon as you enter their magnificient property you know that you have reached a very special place filled with arts and antics, surrounded by an incredible garden. Howie will make sure your stay is perfect and organise your visits around Chiang Mai if you wish. Jerri is an excellent cook and we have enjoyed the best meals of our entire stay in Thailand during these three days.

A truly out of this world experience with two very special people. Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Superlatives are missing to describe Howie's Home stay ... exceptional.. phenomenal ... amazing !!
This eco-property located 30 minutes from Chiang Mai city center , right in the jungle, has reached perfection . We have stayed with Howie and his wife Jerri a whole week and we instantly felt like we're part of the family... Howie and Jerri are the sweetest and friendliest hosts ... Howie is addict with antics (the architecture and the decoration of the house and the gardens are spectacular) whereas Jerri is just crazy about food : I have to say she cooks the best thaï food we've ever had, traveling throughout Asia over the past 10 years ..Meals are a festival of flavors, colors and happiness.. I first wanted to keep this thaï jewel as a secret, but I am so enthusiast that I decided to share this memorable experience with trip advisor readers ... A peaceful place for epicurean travelers only ! We just can't wait for coming back ! thank you for such a great welcome !

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The smartest choice that I made in 2014 so far is to stay at Howie's. Not to mention the private and luxurious experience the place offered, the warmest care of Howie and Jerri made me fell in love with Chiang Mai and their place. I am already planning to go back with my whole family to stay at their amazing 3 bedroom villa.
Jerri's homemade food was better than any other restaurant I'd been to including ones in 5 star hotels. Although it made me gain couple pounds while staying, I already miss her dishes.
Howie with 20 years of experience in Chiang Mai is the perfect person to know in town. Not only he could give us any information we need but also tell us about inside stories of town (so much fun to listen to).
I just like to thank Howie and Jerri for everything, they truly elevated my experience in Chiang Mai to next level.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Our family spent the 2014 CNY holidays at Howie's "palace" which has been a luxurious and out of this world experience. The landscaping and gardening is exquisite and so is the hospitality of the hosts, Howie and Jerri. By far, they serve the best Thai food (homemade with fresh produce) we've ever had!!
Lydia from Hong Kong

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2014

How often in life do you lean in for something great, and WHAMMO, it's ten times better than you ever imagined? That is Howie's Homestay. Everything you encounter during a magical stay there is better than what you possibly could have expected. I think Howie enjoys lulling people with the name "Homestay" in the title, and then wowing them with an experience beyond that of the nicest hotel. There's a reason Howie rhymes with Wowie.

Here's how I would describe it: take the design aesthetic of an Aman resort (but again, so much better because it's Bill Bensley), add architectural marvels and gorgeously curated antiques, situate it thoughtfully in a gardener's lush paradise, plant distant mountains in the view, then populate it with your favorite aunt and uncle. Then invite your family, and only your family, for a stay.

In contrast to one of the previous commenters, we found this to be an absolutely wonderful place for (respectful) kids. You can warn them that you're spoiling them for life, that no Four Seasons will ever match up to what they will experience, but by all means don't miss a stay at Howie's because you are traveling with children. You just have to see the way that Jerri and Howie deal with children, allowing them perfectly to be children while simultaneously holding them to a high standard of behavior AND making them feel loved and welcomed.

As all the commenters have remarked, Jerri's cooking is matched only by her world-class hospitality. While we parents winced at our children's culinary peculiarities, she smiled more and more, constantly rising to any challenge they threw out. Not only that, but she delighted in entertaining the children one afternoon with a Thai cooking class. We wished we had her patience and her grace.

And where to begin with Howie? As with everything there, Howie lures you in with the most self-effacing background story, and then the tapestry unfolds. I think we saw about one fortieth of it, assuring that we will come back to learn more. This is like the house, or the garden. Did architect and client come together because of this shared philosophy on living, that a house, a person, a garden should reveal themselves gradually and with great care? I'll let Howie do his own revealing to each of you lucky enough to make it to his Homestay. Suffice it to say that my wife and I would like him to be our adoptive uncle.

The one sentence I found myself saying to everyone I told about Howie's was this: everywhere your eye comes to rest, it finds another delight. From custom cast bird's mouths on the ends of the rainspouts, to a pair of antique blue lions (Howie's favorite color) guarding the kitchen, to perfectly placed Thai window carvings and finials, to the most beguiling water feature that my children could not stop playing with, there is something to make you smile in wonder at every turn. I honestly regret taking time away to go into Chiang Mai.

The one foray you have to make with Howie is to visit his favorite nearby roadside restaurant. Imagine a place with concrete walls and low slung roof, no front wall, an open stove out front and worn wooden benches at tables, a place you would never have dared to stop unless you knew what Howie knows. Now imagine a perfectly curated lunch there with Howie, as each family member tried something new and delicious. Why couldn't this have been our first stop in Thailand? And that is it, the summation: Howie is the most masterful guide to Thailand; you really ought to see him first and in so doing, awake to so many of the possibilities in this beautiful country.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family