“Understated Elegance”

Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Mae Rim
Seattle, Washington
“Understated Elegance”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at 3 different Four Seasons while in Thailand- and the service here was the best of all. The hotel is physically beautiful. We took the Four Seasons car from the airport to the resort. The drive was longer than expected and at first I was worried the Mae Rim valley was too far, but when arriving, the property has a blissful peace. We stayed in a pool villa which was huge and wonderfully luxurious. This room was bigger than my first home. With a private pool, indoor and outdoor shows, an outdoor dining area and a separate entry way—this is movie star status. The outdoor ‘yard’ of our villa was so large we initially thought it was part of the shared hotel property.
We ordered room service plenty, and they set it up in our outdoor dining ‘pagoda’ which overlooked our pool.
Special touches were included: the hotel staff knew I liked passion fruit, and daily they had a plate delivered to my room. I had so many I couldn’t even eat them all.
The concierge arranged some reservations and excursions for us: all very good. A tip: if you want to arrange a car service ask for the hotel ‘Toyota’ instead of the ‘Mercedes’… both are nice, both are Four Seasons operated, and the price is nearly ½.
We took in the rice planting activity- which was short and interesting and we got some great photos of us digging in the mud.
But it was the care of the staff that really stood out—we never had to tell them our room number or name- they remembered it from the start.

Room Tip: Get a pool villa, it will make you will feel famous...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
TitiyaChooto, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear AdornoLou,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at our resort, and I am delighted that both of you spent so much time to enjoy the facilities within not only your Pool Villa but also the resort.

Please allow me to share your very kind comments with my team who will be glad to know that all their hard work and efforts enabled you to have such a great time.

We shall look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai again before too long.

With kind regards,

Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Chihuahua, Mexico
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Incredible setting. surrounded by mountains and jungle. The best suites, big, comfortable.
2 pools, one for adults only, quiet intentions... appreciating the silence of the place. The employees are very helpful, great attitude, really felt pampered.
the food very well prepared, with luscious garnishes, and excellent presentation, even the breakfast buffet tables were outstanding
and the SPA? well, I did not want to leave the place.
Loved it

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Quirr0,

I am very pleased to read that you and your friends had a wonderful time during your recent visit to Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai as well as how much you enjoyed our two pools, the food, the spa and the services provided by our staff.

I hope that it will not be too long before we will have the pleasure of welcoming you all back again.

With best wishes from all of us,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Gorgeous property, lovely staff - such an amazing stay! My husband and I spent four nights here, and I didn't want to leave. Beautiful, peaceful resort, the Four Seasons Chiang Mai was a wonderful break from a hectic travel schedule. I really enjoyed the market tour and cooking class at the resort, and my husband found it tough to tear himself away from the pool. Highly recommended!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
TitiyaChooto, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Lxa123,

I am glad that you and your husband had a relaxing and wonderful break at our resort last year, and also how much you enjoyed yourselves, especially our cooking class and the pool.

The team and I shall look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you both back again in the not too distant future for your next time-off from your busy schedule!

With best wishes from all of us,

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed here for three nights in April this year on a whistle stop tour of bits of Thailand. From the moment we arrived in the cool, lush green setting to the moment we regretfully left I have to say we were in perfect holidays stasis. The staff team were amazing, completely unobtrusive but perfectly helpful and very very friendly. We had a medical emergency when we were there, at (of course) 4am and thanks to the night staff we had a doctor with us (in the middle of the jungle effectively) within 40 minutes. Once the doctor left there was a knock at the door and the night manager and one of his team were standing there with fresh hot ginger tea which the doctor had recommended for my husband. At 5am. You just can't put a value on being treated like that. Similarly, for the rest of the stay whilst he rested by the pool he was continually and in a friendly way looked after with yet more ginger tea and concerns expressed for his health. Not obtrusively but in a way that made us all think how kind and thoughtful the team was.
We were fortunate enough to be there for the Thai New Year, Song Kran, and had a wonderful afternoon enjoying a ceremony that the entire staff team and management put on - despite it being slightly delayed by monsoon downpour - it didn't matter as part of the whole Song Kran experience is being soaked with water... It was a privilege to be there and share it with the lovely Thai staff and I think this was done exquisitely well.
The spa was quite frankly the best I have EVER been to (and believe me, I've been to many many spas around the world) and it was heavenly 'me' time that I wish had not ended. But then that applies to the whole experience at the resort and I really hope we can get back there in the not too distant future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Hotluca
Dear Hotluca,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your stay with us during the Song Kran period.

It is very gratifying to see that all the hard work and efforts our staff have put into their training enable them not only to provide the best services to our guests but also anticipate their requirements and go the extra mile to add that special touch, in particular when our guests may need some extra TLC! I would like to share your words of appreciation with the team who will be delighted that in spite of the medical emergency, you and your husband still had a great time and enjoyed yourselves at our resort, especially for our Resort Song Kran Ceremony.

Likewise, I also hope that it will not be too long before we will have the pleasure of welcoming you both back again.

In the meantime, with best wishes from the team and I,

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We visited the hotel for a weekend to escape BKK!

The Good: Amazing welcoming by an excellent team, thank you all...very much appreciated! The variety of activities made possible such as, rice planting, bicycle ride, thai boxing, gym etc keep you alive and on your toes if you want too. If you prefer to just chillax, then nothing can be in comparison to the pool, lounges and many other scenic settings made possible within the resort. The breakfast is great, you don't want to miss out on that. Also the in room dinning is a must try...great ambiance and view from the balcony of the room. We must recognize the staff once more as they really got out of there way to make us enjoy every moment of this stay, thank you!

The Bad: The gym is too small and could have a better view. And signs are missing within the property which sometimes make you wonder where things are.

The Ugly: The stay was too short.

This hotel is a hidden gem for all travelers that come to Thailand, it should be on the list of places to experience. We will definitely be back and will continue to recommend it.

2 Thank M K
TitiyaChooto, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear MK,

I am delighted that you had an amazing time in Chiang Mai and it seems that you thoroughly explored every corner of our resort!

With regard to the staff, they are truly the powerhouse of the property and I hope you will not mind if I share your words of appreciation with them as I am sure they will be glad to know how much you enjoyed their services and our facilities.

I have noted your comments regarding the gym and the signage which we shall certainly review and see how we can improve in these areas - many thanks for letting me know.

The team and I shall look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon!

With kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night after having been disappointed by our initial hotel. Our only disappointment is that we didn't book this in the first place.

The staff were too pleasant for words to adequately describe. They were polite, friendly, warm, welcoming and super helpful. All our needs and desires were met effortlessly and swiftly.

The grounds of the hotel are lovely and well maintained and though it is a big resort, it is quiet and peaceful. You feel as though you are alone with the rice fields and the flaura and fauna.

The rooms were clean, bright and spacious with everything you need. We had some very nice views from our villa. We were also upgraded for free to a superior villa which was an added bonus.

The pool is also very nice, especially at night. And you are given complimentary watermelon juice and water on your arrival at the pool.

The restaurant and breakfast is of great standard and the choice of food was wide.
All in all, it was a great experience and worth every penny.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anais m
Dear anais m,

Thank you very much for your very kind comments following your visit to our resort. I am glad to read that you had a wonderful time, and enjoyed the environs and our facilities very much, especially the restaurants and the pool.

I hope that it will not be too long before we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again, perhaps for a longer period next time..

With best wishes,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We decided to go to Chiang Mai for the second part of our honeymoon. We stayed 3 nights at the FS Chiang Mai after staying 6 days at the FS Koh Samui.

Overall, the grounds are beautiful. Lush greenery and flowers, winding pathways to walk around. I read there are over 40 gardeners tending the grounds each day! A great view from the lobby of the resort. We met the resident water buffalo, including the famous albino one who was kind of a pink color. The shops on the resort were OK, very expensive. The pool, spa and cooking class were the highlights. Ahm was a great concierge! Overall, we enjoyed our time at this resort, the service was great -- but we enjoyed the FS Koh Samui more. The spa and food at rhis resort is better though.

ROOM
We stayed in villa 901, which was an upstairs villa with a large deck. We were disappointed not to get a pool/rice paddy view as we were on our honeymoon, but the location was pretty central. We also liked being on the second level. The room was OK, warm wood decor interior. The room was a bit tired, it could use an upgrade of the floors and bathroom. We had a problem with the A/C that stopped working on the second night, and two leaks in our bathroom from the ceiling, one of which left a large water stain on the carpet. Management did send us some complimentary beer and food for our trouble, but we wish they had just switched our room.

FOOD
The Thai restaurant Sala Mae Rim is awesome. And we loved meeting and talking with Joy! We enjoyed the tasting menu, my husband had the seafood one. He said the fish salad with tamarind sauce was amazing. I had the khao soi noodles (a must eat in Chiang Mai!) and loved them - a yellow curry with chicken. So good - slightly spicy and very fragrant. Terraces restaurant was pretty good, the summer rolls were gorgeous and delicious. Overall, the food at this resort is excellent. We actually thought the food was better here than at the FS Koh Samui. The resort is pretty secluded, so unless you take the free shuttle into Chiang Mai - you're stuck eating at the resort. At least the food is good!

OTHER
We did a couple's spa escape package which was very special - we had our own private suite. The spa here is amazing - definitely do it! It's a beautiful spa and the massages are great. My husband got two while we were there! We did the cooking class which was one of the best things we did on our trip. We had Poom as our guide and assistant who was lovely, he was very friendly and nice. We started with a trip to a market to look at different Thai spices, fruits vegetables, and other foods. We were disappointed we didn't actually choose food there to cook for our meal, but that's OK. The chef we had teaching our class was "Meow" - she was very fun and a good teacher! It was a private class which made it go very quickly and with personalized attention -- could not have asked for anything better. The food we made was delicious! We did the Friday class which was som tum (spicy green papaya salad), tom zaab moo (Northeastern-style spicy pork soup), phad kapraow gai (stir-fried minced chicken with hot basil), and phad see-iew goong (stir-fried rice ribbon noodles with prawns and soy sauce). I don't eat seafood, so they gave me chicken for my noodles. It was great to have everything set and cleared for you, so all you did was the cooking! Then they set a beautiful table for you to enjoy your food. Wonderful experience! We also did the optional vegetable carving afterwards which was fun.

RESORT
The pool here is awesome. It's huge and has multiple levels. We spent most of our time at the adults quiet pool, which was pretty private. The pool service is great - and I loved the basil peanuts that they served poolside! Don't miss the secret "cold pool"! We took the free shuttle into the night market one night, which was a nice change of pace. We spent a half day at the Elephant Nature Park then came back and went to the pool - totally worth the private driver for the day! The hotel arranged everything which was perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper level room with a view of the rice paddies and pool!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
TitiyaChooto, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Larissa F,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your honeymoon at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai.

I am delighted to learn that in general you enjoyed your stay with us. However, I was rather concerned as to how we should have better recovered the various issues arisen during your visit. I would appreciate if you can contact me directly so that I will have an opportunity to apologise personally; my e-mail address is: titiya.chooto@fourseasons.com

In the meantime, I am glad that in spite of the shortcomings, you still had a good time, in particular the cooking class and the spa treatment. I shall pass on your words of appreciation to the Spa team, Aom at Concierge, and both Poom and Meow at the Cooking School.

I look forward to hearing from you and once again warmest congratulations on your wedding.

With very best wishes from all of us,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mae Rim
Ping Nakara Boutique Hotel & Spa
The Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai
The Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai
#2 of 383 in Chiang Mai

Been to Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai? Share your experiences!