“Eleven nights of luxury!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Mae Rim
Canberra, Australia
“Eleven nights of luxury!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

First, let's get the Thai elephant out of the room....it is an expensive resort no matter how you cut it. That said, it is worth every penny.

THE ROOM. We had a Pool Villa which was lovely. At first, we didn't think we were going to like the heated pool but we quickly became converts. You really need to stay for multiple nights to be able to exploit the beautiful bathtub, outdoor rain forest showers, dining sala, sun loungers, and the day bed swing. We did explore the rest of the resort but there really wasn't any need to.

THE SPA. We did about sixteen hours of various spa treatments....lovely lovely lovely...wonderful staff, beautiful spa.

THE MAIN POOL. We only made it there once. If we were in a room without a pool it would have been a nice place to spend the day and the pool side service was attentive. Lovely views.

TERRACE RESTAURANT. One night for dinner and once for Sunday brunch. Brunch is worth it to be able to have drinks included and to be able to try different things on the menu. We preferred the Thai restaurant.

THAI RESTAURANT. Delicious food. Friendly staff. We went multiple times. This is also the breakfast restaurant and they use beautiful salmon in the Japanese breakfast. Really couldn't fault any of the food in this restaurant...

ROOM SERVICE. We did this a lot...the great food from the Thai restaurant brought to our sala to eat by the pool. Exceptional service.

CHEF'S TABLE. We loved it so much we did it twice!

RICE BARN DINNER. This is a beautiful experience but is probably best suited to people celebrating a really special occasion or folks who do not travel often to Asia.

ACTIVITIES. There are lots of things you can sign up for and some of the ones in the gym become personal training sessions as no one else seems to sign up! There is also a shuttle into town and we went in on a Sunday night to the market. Guests are supposed to book travel times but it seems that some just randomly show up and it causes confusion.

There is probably a lot more to say about this resort but it would just be gilding the lily. We went to rest and relax and it was exactly what we wanted and needed. If I had to complain, i think that it would have been nice to have had a dedicated butler but the staff were always very helpful no matter who you asked.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TristanEF
TitiyaChooto, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear TristanEF,

I am very pleased to read how much you enjoyed yourselves during such a long visit to our resort! I hope you will not mind if I share your feedback with my team who I am sure will be glad to know that all their efforts and hard work have enabled our guests to have a wonderful time at our resort and return home with a memorable experience in Chiang Mai.

We shall look forward to the oppportunity of welcoming you back to Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai again in the not too distant future.

With best wishes from all of us,

Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

My first visit to a Four Seasons and wow, what an experience. As the title says - Outstanding.

The welcome we received at check-in was, well - outstanding. The staff who welcomed us at the lobby (I believe her name was 'Taw') was delightfully friendly. She took us to our room and was full of ideas and suggestions for our stay and pointed out where everything was in the room and also in the hotel (restaurants, swimming pools etc.). And the room, well it was very nice indeed. Spotlessly clean and tidy with a very 'homely' feel to it. The bathroom was enormous and itself was larger than even some other hotel rooms I have stayed - again everything was spotless and clean with ample amenities. Twin sinks, separate shower, separate WC, separate bathtub (very nice too), dressing and storage area - just wonderful. Each room had its own sala-like private outdoor seating area with sofas, tables and chairs (and electric fan). Wonderful for sitting out and relaxing with a beer (or chocolate cake)

The resort is based around a fully operational rice paddy which is the centrepoint of the hotel and quite unique. There are farmers, buffaloes and a scarecrow all adding to the ambiance.

Breakfast times were a treat and you can eat from the amazing breakfast buffet or order a-la-carte. The choices were more than enough for anyone. Even the chef would come around to each table and say Good Morning to everyone. The Coconut and mango pancakes were heaven on earth - a must try.
So nice too that the restaurant staff would greet you by your name (and remember it). Nothing was too much trouble for them.

I would like to thank the hotel too for delivering an absolutely delicious chocolate cake to my room as I was celebrating my birthday during my stay. Also to the Director of Rooms - Khun Shaisang Annangrusdee for the personal card and birthday greetings. Its often the smallest things which mean the most. Thank you.

The resort is just that - its not a city hotel and as such is around 30 or 40 minutes from Chiang Mai city. I had a hire car so was easy to get there ant travel the local area. I can definitely recommend a trip to Mon Chan around 20 minutes drive away. Spectacular mountain top views with a great restaurant/coffee shop overlooking the countryside below. Nearby you can dress up in local hilltribes dress for photographs for just 50 baht each.
All in all - it was a fantastic stay in a fantastic resort with fantastic staff who made you feel genuinely welcome. One would never want to leave. Thanks to everyone - Outstanding!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are of a good standard overall, but some overlooked the rice field if that'...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
1 Thank 10thDragon
TitiyaChooto, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Siampaul,

I would like to thank you very much for your wonderful review of our resort following your stay with us last month.

I shall pass on your compliments to Taew at the Front Office, the breakfast chef and Shaisang our Director of Rooms, who will be delighted to know how much you enjoyed your stay and that you had a great time.

We shall look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai agian before too long.

Meanwhile, with best wishes from all of us,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

It's an incredible hotel, ask for Koon in the reception, she will take care of any need you have.
The prices are reasonable for the attention you will receive, the food is great and if it rains you will still have a great time because the room is exceptional
I recommend the lasagna at the italian restaurant

Stayed August 2014
TitiyaChooto, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Alex R,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, and I am glad that you had a great time at our resort - I shall certainly let Terraces Restaurant know how much you enjoyed their lasagna!

I hope that it will not be too long before we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again!

With best regards from all of us,

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Four Seasons Chiang Mai is a beautiful escape from a hectic world. Glorious gardens overlooking the rice paddies and the surrounding mountains. Love the special touch of the end of the working day ritual. The food is amazing and service is always impeccable which is what you expect from Four Seasons. Love the radiation all accommodation. The shuttle bus I to the city centre is very convenient as well for a look at the night markets. The hotel arranged a taxi that we hired on a few occasions for sightseeing. We had the same driver every day which was a bonus.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
Dear JPEZ2013,

I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful time during your visit to our resort in February and enjoyed yourselves very much - in particular the food, your accoommodation, the landscape, the city shuttle and the farmers's evening going-home ritual.

I shall look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai again before too long.

With best wishes from the team and I,

Four Seasos.Resort Chiang Mai
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Last June, me and my sisters spent one of our weekends at the Four Seasons Mae Rim. On our last day in Chiang Mai, we thought it would be a good idea to explore what the town has to offer for breakfast. This turned out disastrous. The people who ran the city’s famous congee shop were the least friendly people on earth and Warorot market was a terrible experience.

Beaten, we headed back to the hotel and thought it would be nice to have somewhere to relax with some fresh fruits. By the time we reached, breakfast hour was almost over and they had cleared all the buffet line. However, the staff insisted we could still order from the menu and were very welcome to sit for as long as we’d like. We didn’t want anything much so we only asked for some fruits and cold water. The lady there was concerned and asked us if we were sure that’s enough. She insisted we could order anything even if it’s not on the menu. If she could find for us she would. During our small talk, I told her I really like their homemade granola which I tried yesterday. She then offered to pack a box for us but we thanked her and said we were fine. After we had enjoyed our cozy time and worked on our recovery from the morning incident, we decided to leave. When we were just leaving, the lady from the restaurant hurried towards us - in her hand was a box of homemade granola!! We couldn't say how touched we were!!

As if that is not already nice enough, on the walk back to our room, we came across the hotel bakery where they had a lot of macaroons on display. The lady at the shop greeted us warmly and offered us to try their macaroons for free after she learned that we had a bad experience from Dara Dhevi (their macaroons were not as good as they were praised for plus it was super touristy). We were genuinely touched and bad memories from the city were completely replaced by how friendly the staffs here were.

By just paying attention to the guests and showing that they matter…these simple factors can leave enormous impression on a customer for years to come if not forever. You guys do really deserve a proper review and I am sorry I couldn't find the time to write this sooner!

Thank you for the great time and your hotel would be our first choice if we visit Chiang Mai again.

Room Tip: choose a room with the view of the lake! you can't be disappointed
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
1 Thank nnicnickyy
TitiyaChooto, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Nnicnickyy,

I would like to thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay with us in June.

It is very gratifying to see that all the hard work and efforts our staff have put into their training enable them not only to provide the best services to our guests but also anticipate their requirements and go the extra mile to add that special touch.

I hope you will not mind if I share your comments with my team, especially at Sala Mae Rim, as our staff are really the true strength behind our success, and your wonderful feedback shall certainly serve as inspiration for them to strive even harder to provide the best facilities and services for our guests.

I hope it will not be too long before we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai again.

Meanwhile, with best wishes from all of us,

Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai

PS: I hope you enjoyed the granola!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at 3 different Four Seasons while in Thailand- and the service here was the best of all. The hotel is physically beautiful. We took the Four Seasons car from the airport to the resort. The drive was longer than expected and at first I was worried the Mae Rim valley was too far, but when arriving, the property has a blissful peace. We stayed in a pool villa which was huge and wonderfully luxurious. This room was bigger than my first home. With a private pool, indoor and outdoor shows, an outdoor dining area and a separate entry way—this is movie star status. The outdoor ‘yard’ of our villa was so large we initially thought it was part of the shared hotel property.
We ordered room service plenty, and they set it up in our outdoor dining ‘pagoda’ which overlooked our pool.
Special touches were included: the hotel staff knew I liked passion fruit, and daily they had a plate delivered to my room. I had so many I couldn’t even eat them all.
The concierge arranged some reservations and excursions for us: all very good. A tip: if you want to arrange a car service ask for the hotel ‘Toyota’ instead of the ‘Mercedes’… both are nice, both are Four Seasons operated, and the price is nearly ½.
We took in the rice planting activity- which was short and interesting and we got some great photos of us digging in the mud.
But it was the care of the staff that really stood out—we never had to tell them our room number or name- they remembered it from the start.

Room Tip: Get a pool villa, it will make you will feel famous...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TitiyaChooto, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear AdornoLou,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at our resort, and I am delighted that both of you spent so much time to enjoy the facilities within not only your Pool Villa but also the resort.

Please allow me to share your very kind comments with my team who will be glad to know that all their hard work and efforts enabled you to have such a great time.

We shall look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai again before too long.

With kind regards,

Chihuahua, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Incredible setting. surrounded by mountains and jungle. The best suites, big, comfortable.
2 pools, one for adults only, quiet intentions... appreciating the silence of the place. The employees are very helpful, great attitude, really felt pampered.
the food very well prepared, with luscious garnishes, and excellent presentation, even the breakfast buffet tables were outstanding
and the SPA? well, I did not want to leave the place.
Loved it

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
Dear Quirr0,

I am very pleased to read that you and your friends had a wonderful time during your recent visit to Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai as well as how much you enjoyed our two pools, the food, the spa and the services provided by our staff.

I hope that it will not be too long before we will have the pleasure of welcoming you all back again.

With best wishes from all of us,

The Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai
The Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai
#2 of 374 in Chiang Mai
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,282 reviews

Been to Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai? Share your experiences!