Fresh Start Fitness Yoga & Wellness Retreat Thailand
Open today: 07:00 - 17:00
Review Highlights
Fresh Start Fitness Holiday Bootcamp

I did an 8-day programme with Fresh Start at The Pavana Resort in Chiangmai in January. Totally... read more

Reviewed 6 March 2020
dorothyc227
via mobile
Best Fitness trip I've ever had

This has by far been one of my best trips. I made a lot of amazing friends and the Bootcamp program... read more

Reviewed 25 January 2020
babak_eshkoor
London

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Mae Rim
from £112.85
from £80.67
from £67.45
from £137.15
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 November 2015 via mobile

I'm came here for a week in October not really knowing quite what to expect. What I found was a friendly and supportive atmosphere that helped me achieve my fitness goals.

The week is tough and there are times you might want to quit, but those are likely to pass early on. The variety of activities help keep things fresh so you are never bored.

The food was delicious, healthy and filling enough to get you through the day. Changes to the menu are available (starvation is not the goal).

Get a massage every night to keep yourself in good shape for the following day.

Not for the faint hearted but if you are willing to work hard it is good fun.

1  Thank Richard J
FreshStartHoliday, Owner at Fresh Start Fitness Yoga & Wellness Retreat Thailand, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2015

We really appeciate you taking the time to write a review on Trip Adviser. We are pleased you found our team to be friendly and supportive and you liked the variety of activities and you didn't feel hungry, lots of guests say there is enough food, which is good to hear. We have made the programme tough but do-able and our guests don't have to do every single activity and we are very flexible,as after all it is a holiday. We have a older couple here this week who are picking and choosing their activities and having a wonderful time. We hope to see you again and all the best for your fitness and health goals. Take care and best wishes.

Reviewed 4 November 2015

Fresh Start Bootcamp was fantastic! The resort is gorgeous and the staff are so friendly and helpful. Be prepared to get moving from the moment you arrive until the minute you leave. Every day you think "that's it, I can't possibly do anymore" and then an hour later your swinging a kettle bell or doing hill sprints (mine were more like hill crawls) or riding (or pushing) your bike up another bloody mountain. But you do it, thanks to the encouragement from the fantastic staff and fellow boot campers. I loved the food, the people and the accommodation. Thanks Louise, Richard, Nic, Mike, Anton and especially Tom. Tom has the ability to connect with each boot camper and pushing just enough to get the most out of each individual and always with the biggest smile. Would love to go back again next year.

Date of experience: October 2015

Thanks for your review of our fitness and wellness retreat in Chiang Mai Thailand.We are over the moon that you 'loved it', thanks for your positive words. We wish you all the best with your fitness and health goals, keep up the good work and best wishes!

Reviewed 15 October 2015 via mobile

I decided to celebrate my 61st birthday by doing something practical for my health. From start to finish the whole thing was perfectly organised. Days started early, were tough and tiring but adjusted to our different levels of fitness. I never felt judged if I couldn't quite keep up but at the same time the Instructors pushed us to our limits and beyond. It's evident that the owners Richard and Louise practice what they preach, as did Kenny and Mike the two excellent Trainers. We were a hugely diverse group from 18 to 61, coming from all over the world but we clicked brilliantly well. The team kindly gave me an apple complete with candle for my birthday. To top the week off we celebrated Louise's birthday. This is a must do idea if you are heading for Thailand. I lost almost no weight but I wasn't trying to. What I did lose was an astonishing 5% body fat and gained muscle mass. Better health a priceless birthday gift. I cannot recommended Fresh Start fitness enough - it truly will give you a fresh start

2  Thank nic1954
FreshStartHoliday, Owner at Fresh Start Fitness Yoga & Wellness Retreat Thailand, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2015

It was a real pleasure to be part of your birthday week! Well done for your fat loss and muscle gain! Many thanks for your fabulous review, which we truly appreciate! Enjoy your weekly classes back in Singapore and we hope to welcome you back to Fresh Start again in the future. Take care and warmest wishes.

Reviewed 2 October 2015

I did a two week stay at the Fresh Start Bootcamp at the end of August, it was all that I was hoping it would be and more. Richard and Louise are lovely and run a great operation. The location is superb - the rooms, the pool, the sala we used for some of the group sessions, the restaurant area, the spa, all fabulous (and really inexpensive for the quality), the surrounding countryside which you get to know on some of the walks and cycles, beautiful! It really is a wonderful setting. The people I met were also lovely, and it was an unexpected pleasure to make some new friends, and the food we had was really great - tasty and varied. But probably most importantly, the exercise programmes and the results we all achieved by doing them, are excellent. I lost weight (3kg) and gained muscle (4kg) which for me felt like an amazing result. By the end of the second week I also felt fitter than I have for a long time and ready to come home and keep up the good work, armed with ways to build in what we had been doing at boot camp into my normal life. If you're thinking of doing a boot camp I really can't recommend Fresh Start highly enough!

Date of experience: August 2015
FreshStartHoliday, Owner at Fresh Start Fitness Yoga & Wellness Retreat Thailand, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2015

Thanks for your recent review of our fitness bootcamp in Chiang Mai Thailand,we are really pleased you enjoyed your time with us and we really hope to see you again in the future. Keep up the good work with your health goals!
Healthy wishes
The Fresh Start Team

Reviewed 20 September 2015

OK, stop looking, you have found the right boot camp!

It’s not a “fat camp”, it’s a “fit camp” – however if you intensively train on a restricted calorie diet you will inevitably lose weight – I lost 8kg on the camp and, by following on, another 4kg since. I did 2 weeks. There will probably be a mix of people, some fit, some fat, some not so fit, some not so fat. This experience caters for all comers. However there is no magic wand, no super duper pills , no easy answer to getting fitter and thinner – it’s all you!

Allaying your concerns:
• The team are really nice and know exactly what they are doing - injury is unlikely if you “listen to your body”
• You will not be shouted at – persuasion and supportive cajoling is more their line
• The food is good and there is plenty – I was never hungry – but should you wish to eat “off plan” you can – but you won’t get the best results!
• The accommodation is very comfortable, with Arctic AC if you want it
• It’s not boring – I have the attention span of a goldfish - the variety of sights, sounds, activities, people and exercise means that you will be constantly stimulated
• You will sleep better than you ever have – it’s quite tiring

Some tips if you follow my advice and go:

1. You will get out what you put in – go big or go home! The people who committed 100% got the best results
2. Don’t moan – everyone is hurting, however fit they are
3. Do not think you will be able to do any work during the camp– there is no time and during what limited time you have you will be wanting to rest. Really.
4. When they say bring a hat they mean it. Bring a hat!
5. Bring lots of sunscreen – the amount you sweat means you have to reapply constantly. Did I mention a hat?
6. You will NEED a small rucksack. Carrying stuff around on a walk is a pain without one
7. You will be wet. A lot. Make sure you bring ALL your most comfortable sports gear and lots of talc.
8. Do some preparatory cardio – the team will get you around if you have zero cardio but you will have limited fun
9. Watch out for your feet – you will be on them a lot – make sure you don’t bring new trainers that aren't worn in and have lots of fresh blister free socks, plasters and foot powder
10. There are plenty of mosquitoes – not generally around the accommodation but in the spa (the bamboo apparently). Bring antihistamine.
11. You will be sore some mornings – take lots of ibuprofen
12. If you are vain – get over it – you will be a sweaty mess for 90% of your stay – don’t bother taking smart gear
13. It's "me time" - you don't have much capacity to look after someone else unless you train together regularly - so I don't think it's a couples sort of place - but that's a personal view

It wouldn’t be one of my reviews if I didn’t come up with a few areas for the reviewed to improve and/or be aware of:

1. The Wi-Fi and roaming cell coverage is a bit ropy –get a SIM card with a data package when you arrive – that will work brilliantly – but Boot Camp – please improve!
2. Important if you don’t read instructions in detail - I cannot recommend highly enough how useful getting some cardio prep in ahead of time is – don’t (as I did) think “well I’ll go crazy and relax for the month before” – that decision made the first few days harder than they could have been. Boot Camp – please make this clearer!
3. I personally wouldn’t go for more than 2 weeks at a stretch – if I wanted more I would do 2 weeks, take a week off and go somewhere else and lie in a heap and then do another 2 weeks. Its simply too intense.

In conclusion – go – it’s really good fun and strangely relaxing – all responsibility for everything is in someone else’s hands – “go there, do that, come back etc” - not normally my thing but with that amount of exercise and all those endorphins it works.

Have a great time with lovely people in a lovely place and get healthy!

Date of experience: August 2015
10  Thank Jonathan B
FreshStartHoliday, Owner at Fresh Start Fitness Yoga & Wellness Retreat Thailand, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2015

Thanks very much for your review and tips, definately worth a read. If you want to do more than 2 weeks, we have had guests staying 8-9 weeks in the past, we recommend taking a day off a week, sometimes 2 to rest up and recoup.

Our programme is unique and original in every way, not only do you get fit, lose weight and feel good you also get to see some authentic Thailand and meet some amazing people.

Great advise and thanks for your review

The Fresh Start Thailand Team