Fresh Start Fitness Yoga & Wellness Retreat Thailand
Open today: 07:00 - 17:00
Review Highlights
Fresh Start Fitness Holiday Bootcamp

I did an 8-day programme with Fresh Start at The Pavana Resort in Chiangmai in January. Totally... read more

Reviewed 6 March 2020
dorothyc227
via mobile
Best Fitness trip I've ever had

This has by far been one of my best trips. I made a lot of amazing friends and the Bootcamp program... read more

Reviewed 25 January 2020
babak_eshkoor
London

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Mae Rim
from £112.85
from £80.67
from £67.45
from £137.15
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 February 2017

I've just done a 1 week bootcamp and come out of it blown away. I booked it just with 1 week notice and was no trouble at all. Being someone who exercises often I thought the program looked tough enough whilst having fun and discovering new places.
We not only did that but also met some great people in their journey to a healthier lifestyle who were really inspiring.
Our group varied between 30s to 50s, solo travellers most and some couples, from 8 different countries.
The Pavana resort offers hotel rooms and villas, and the facilities are terrific. The Sala 9 for circuits, yoga or pilates is fantastic, with great views. We had Anton and Ekk as instructors and they were brilliant. So many different workouts, from weights to body only, from hikes and bike rides to aqua gym, from freezbe and waterpolo to all sorts of team games and races. They push you but also go along with you, no matter your fitness level, everyone can do it at their own pace and we encouraged each other too!
Great healthy food, with no alcohol, was ideal too - although if you are not looking to lose weight, you need to top up every meal or even have a 2nd light dinner some nights (after great exercise day!).
Topped off by the lovely spa with daily massages and/or sauna, you get to recover in style every evening.
It was everything it says on their website and here on tripadvisor and much more.
I recommend to anyone regardless of fitness level, you discover so much and make so much progress every day, a great active holiday that will get you back home full of energy and a new you. 10 out of 10.

Date of experience: February 2017
1  Thank Alfonso M
FreshStartHoliday, Guest Relations Manager at Fresh Start Fitness Yoga & Wellness Retreat Thailand, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2017

Hi Alfonso,

Thank you for your great and extensive review of Fresh Start Holiday Bootcamp :) We are happy to hear that you found the range of activities on the program pleasing and got some inspiration from the guests in the group that week. One great thing about Fresh Start Bootcamp is that you meet guests from all over the world and from all walks of life. Yes, the meal plans are designed for weight loss however if this is not a goal than there are ways we can work around that. Once again thank you for attending our camp and we hope to see you back in the future!

Hope all is well in Melbourne

Healthy Regards,

Reviewed 4 February 2017

12 days at Fresh Start was a brilliant way to start a healthy and fit 2017. Everything was very efficient from pick up at the airport to the final weigh in. The boot camp is situated in the Pavana resort, away from the temptations of Chiang Mai but near enough to visit if you wish.

The boot camp programme is varied enough not to be boring and there is the opportunity to try different things you might not try at home. Lots of walking, circuits, kettle bells as well as yoga and pilates. I was worried I would not be able to keep up and join in all the activities, but there it is very inclusive and there is a level for everyone. I really enjoyed the walks, even if there were times I definitely did not want to climb another hill! The trainers were all brilliant, Anton and Ekk in the first week and Jez and Pong in the second.

The spa in the resort offered a massage or sauna as part of the programme and this was so good after a days exercise to relax those tired muscles. The food was good with the emphasis on clean eating and I did not feel hungry during my stay. The staff in the resort are all so helpful and friendly.

During my 12 day stay I lost 4 kg and 10 cm off my waist which I was extremely pleased with, a fantastic start to a fit and healthy 2017. I wanted to get out of the rut I was in and do something different to jump start my year and this was the perfect way to get a new mindset on my fitness and diet.

Date of experience: January 2017
FreshStartHoliday, Manager at Fresh Start Fitness Yoga & Wellness Retreat Thailand, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2017

Thank you so much for your review of Fresh Start Bootcamp. We are glad you had a good 12 days with us and found the program varied. The reason behind the varied program is to expose our guests to a range of new activities and if the guests find something they enjoy doing they are more likely to continue with it back at home. Congratulations on your impressive weight loss and fitness improvement. It is a result of all the hard work and dedication you put in throughout the two weeks with us. A great way to start the year and we hope you have come away from Fresh Start well equipped and motivated to continue along your fitness journey!

Take care and best wishes
The Fresh Start Team

Reviewed 5 January 2017

I have decided to look for a boot camp after I have gained a lot of weight I was not a Big guy but I was going there ( I am 170 CM and reached 88 KG ) so i felt i need to do something before its too late. i found about Fresh Start from Trip Advisor and I read almost every comment the good and the bad ones because for me to go for one month is way too long for me to just risk it with any boot camp. so after the long Due diligence I decided to join.

I will divide my review into parts: -

The Resort:
Resort is called the Pavana it is located 45 Minutes from Chiang Mai airport a very nice resort and located in a really relaxing GREEN area the first couple of hours I though I was the only one at the resort ( that How quiet it was). Once I arrived I was taken to the reception and was given my Keys to the Villa I booked at ( next part I will speak about the accommodation). The resort has one main restaurant with a good amount of food ranges ( of which you wont have the luxury to taste as you will be part of the program). It has a Detox center which I really don’t know what they actually do as I never stepped a foot into it but I guess the name says it all. They have a Spa where you will have all your Massages and Saunas. and of course they have a swimming pool ( the weather was cold for a Saudi guy like me so I only tried once to use it and I was forced to do it as part of the program lool). You can consider the resort to be a very good 4 stars resort almost 5 stars. But the amount of greenery and piece of mind you will have there is priceless .

Accommodation:-
The boot camp offer you different options of accommodations; Hotel accommodations which are rooms or Town houses ( for one person ) which honestly I didn’t see from inside I only know that they are either close to the pool or to the restaurant (which is the most important place in the resort ☺ ). The other option which I have chosen was a Villa with 3 bedrooms and a shared living room and a kitchen. Each Room has its own bathroom and the sizes of the rooms as I have been told by people who saw my villa , are bigger than their Hotel room. I was lucky enough to get room #1 which was the only room which has a TUB ( which I never used lool ) in addition to the shower. The first 10 days I was Totally alone at the villa and therefore, I felt as if it was my own villa I had everything for my self even the terrace ( which is AMAZING). The third week I had a friend who decided to join and then we started using the living room with its big TV. The fourth week all three rooms were occupied. But not because you are in the same villa you think it would be noisy not at all it is exactly as if it is a hotel and you have rooms next to you. One very good thing about staying at the Villa, is that you Have Weena the Camp coordinator having her office above the villa so easy access to all information and requests.
The only thing I didn’t like about the Villa is how far it was from the restaurant ( this is the Lazy me talking hahah ) but after a while I discovered some short cuts so it was fine. if you were a group of 3 you should Definitely stay at the villa because you will have fun together.
Oh… important things to mention, room cleanness is amazing there is a dedicated person who takes care of cleaning the room every day and she changes towels and does it exactly as if you were in a 5 stars Hotel. Beds are really comfortable ( I should say my bed so I don’t sound that I tried all beds hahah ) bathrooms are clean every thing is Super clean. And Yes there is an AC in each room plus a TV with 3 channels only (English ones ) any ways, you wont have time to watch anything as you will be asleep once you lay down.

Program :-
First day of boot camp all boot campers meet at the restaurant to be introduced to the program and given their weekly schedule and write down your goals and you will be weighted and measured for follow up week by week.

The way they designed this program is to help you give all what you have inside you give the maximum. You wake up at 6 am everyday and you start either by breakfast or a walk. The beautiful thing about the schedule is that it is different everyday so one day you have a long walk one day bicycle rides , team workouts, outdoor circuits, tennis cardio. Etc… so you wont feel board ( unless you decided to stay for 4 weeks then by end of third week you will feel little board) but over all the you will be working out like you have never done in your life. But its great!
For me the way they push you is really good and the Positive group pressure you get is amazing.
If you have injuries or back or knee problems, they will find you an alternative thing to do that will benefit you as well. So NO EXCUSE!!

Instructors: -

Each week we had different instructor ( they call the leader ) and his assistant. all leaders were amazing and knowledgeable about what they are doing and they all try to push you as much as they can and try to motivate you every time you struggle. If you are expecting them to be your personal trainer and only focus on you an leave the others than you are wrong! Anyways, it is not the way it should be. Although I saw Richard (the owner ) doing a one-on-one training session to a guy who was suffering from the exercises and I felt that this was an AMAZING thing to do. So in general, you can feel that each one of the instructors are in love with what they do and they give their maximum to help you even their assistants.
Since I am writing this I have to thank :- Anton & Tuwan , Richard & Kitty & Jez , Prom & Tuwan again , Luis &Jez & pong and the rest ( it was my forth week so I stopped concentrating on names sorry! ) ( the order in how they appeared by weeks) I am sorry if I left any one but THANK YOU all.

All showed that they have passion in what they are doing and that gave me the push to give all what I got.

FOOD:-
I could dedicate a book for this section hahaha. Well you get three meals and snacks ( one apple and it gets smaller every week hahaha + Seeds ) every day. Breakfast ranges from Oat meal, Pooched eggs, scramble eggs. Lunch would be a Salad and soup or just Salad with prawns or salmon. Dinner would be Salad and soup. On Wednesday you get Zen chocolate and that’s why my favorite day was Wednesday. The first couple of days you will feel that this is too little to eat but after that you will get used to it. But you can change your menu as you wish, you can add more protein or carbs or whatever you want and they will change it for you ( you might pay some difference but very small amounts). In general, food was really good and the restaurant has a variety of food and they all taste good ( at least what I had ) if you want to loose weight STICK to their food.

Overall,

If you are willing to give it all it takes to reach your healthy goals you should do this as I really don’t think you could find something like that any where around, the rest of the boot camps in Asia have classes you can attend whenever you want so you wont have the push we all need. At this boot camp you have nothing else to do but join the group every day and this is your motivation, watching every one doing their best will defiantly push you to do the same. There are no Temptations near the resort which is helpful so no cafes or bars nothing is close by.
There is something I really liked about Fresh Start is that they never choose to go for cheaper options, meaning, they always take us to the best places, rent us good Vans, they even took us to Shangri-La after a long week to relax for two hours.
In general this is a really good boot camp and you will get to meet wonderful people you all share the same goals.

One thing I didn’t like and it was the SCALE they use to weigh you during your stay. PLEASE guys change it and get a really good sophisticated one. (may be because I only lost 4 KG that’s why I hate it loool no seriously please change it)

MY RESULTS: -

I am sure whom ever is reading this is saying so ? what happened with you ? well, I went here with a waist line = 194 CM and I left with 189CM , I was 80 KG and left 76KG. I went back home some friends didn’t believe their eyes, they thought I was someone else, as I lost good amount of fat and it shows( that for me was better than loosing KG's) . But the most important thing is that I have created a healthy habit and I feel much fit than before and my stamina is way better.

My personal opinion, if you are planning to do this and you want a dramatic change, go for at least 2 weeks, if not 10 days. Of course the more you do it the better it would be. One week yes you will benefit but you wont see a dramatic change as you will if you stayed for two weeks. This is what I feel.
( Richard, if people booked for more than two weeks because of what i said , you have to pay me hahaha).

oh yah, if you want the best out of it, start dieting two weeks before you join, so you loose the luquids first so at bootcamp you start loosing the FAT. I started dieting 3 weeks before I joined.

In summary ,

The name says it all FRESH START , this is what you will all feel.

Thanks
Richard & Luis

Date of experience: December 2016
6  Thank ahmedm77
FreshStartHoliday, Owner at Fresh Start Fitness Yoga & Wellness Retreat Thailand, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2017

Thanks so much for your detailed review of our fitness and wellness bootcamp holiday in Chiang Mai Thailand and for staying with us for 4 weeks! I am sure potential guests will appreciate your review. Just to let people know I don't think all our guests are up at 6am lol , as most mornings we start with some gentle exercise before breakfast at 7am or 7.30am or we start after breakfast at around 8am. The restaurant is really close to villa 3, probably 2 minutes, great you found the short cuts ha ha! Our scales are actually a top brand and one of the best on the market for what we do, but we will look around to see if there are any better ones , just for you, thanks for letting us know what you thought :-) We are thrilled you look and feel much healthier, it was great to meet you and have you around with your positive and smily personality! Keep up the good work and we wish you masses of luck for your continued healthier lifestyle. take care and best wishes from the Fresh Start Team!

Reviewed 2 January 2017 via mobile

This was our second Boot Camp and again we had fun and met some great people as we exercised and ate tasty healthy food. Our aim wasn't to lose weight (although we both did). It was to maintain and improve our fitness and avoid overeating at Christmas.

We stayed in a one bedroom Lana Villa. This gave us lots of space. It was quiet and comfortable and our balconies overlooked the gardens and swimming pool.

The activities were varied. We enjoyed practically everything we did from cycling to yoga and Muay Thai to Cardio Tennis. The organisation of the activities was even better than last year, although we both feel the hikes and Power Walks this year could have been more challenging in the second week. Although as soon as I mentioned this to Louise on the hike she led she took a few of us running on the trails which I thought was great. Neill and Koh the yoga teachers were super. It was just the kind of yoga we needed. Gentle stretching to help us avoid injury and relaxation of the mind and soul.

The Cardio Tennis was such fun that four of us from the Bootcamp booked a private session with the coach. The Muay Thai is also super and we got lots of practice with Pong( an amazingly patient teacher) before we visited the Muay Thai where we got even more practice and tips from the professional fighters.

I never thought I would write this but I really enjoyed the circuits and the Tabata. Tough but rewarding when you can see your own fitness improving and so fast too. Thanks to Richard and Jez for their 'encouragement'.

The team games were good too as they tested our teamwork and Brain Fitness. I never believed that I could lug tyres and run with a jerrycan but I did.

The resort is beautiful and the massages and saunas at the spa are just what we needed after our hard days of exercise.

Don't expect miracles. You get results by putting in the effort. I lost more than two kilos and my husband lost 9cm from his waist. One lovely gentleman lost 9 kilos in 4 days although he still has a long way to go it was so very motivating to see his progress so fast.

We are already planning our next visit.

Date of experience: December 2016
1  Thank fareastjim
Reviewed 23 November 2016

I just completed a week of bootcamp last week, my third time through the program in 4 years, and I'm still amazed at the amount of exercise they fit into one week. Everything from a 40 km bike ride, a climb up a 10 level waterfall, the infamous step challenge, a 14 km walk through the countryside, circuits, yoga, pilates, kayaking, cardio tennis, muay thai. All this and more and the trainers made it fun while pushing us to our limits. They explained everything that was being done and how it was beneficial to our fitness. The food was delicious and healthy, and always very fresh. In one week I lost 6.6 lbs, and feel mentally and physically reset. All this AND it's in the beautiful mountainous setting of Chiang Mai. I highly recommend this program to anyone that wants a fun and rewarding challenge, or just a reboot. Awesome, awesome time, and well worth the investment!

Date of experience: November 2016
2  Thank beth s
FreshStartHoliday, Owner at Fresh Start Fitness Yoga & Wellness Retreat Thailand, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2016

Thanks for coming to see us for a third time! Well done for the 6.6 Lb weight loss and for sticking to the diet and programme. We are pleased you liked the setting of Chiang Mai and the mountains, we are so lucky to have found this part of Thailand away from the hustle and bustle of the city, its the perfect place to retreat to and find peace. We hope you make it back for another re-set in the future. Take care and stay healthy!