Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews thai dinner the rooms were nice two nights rain shower beautiful landscape northern thailand heaven on earth peacocks waterfall nature jungle resort spa villa scenery escape respite
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 January 2013

First, the mountain setting is beautiful and the staff is nice. However, the biggest regret of our entire Thailand vacation was booking this hotel and feeling stranded here for 4 days.

Here is what I wish I had known before I spent 5-Star prices to stay in Deluxe Lanna Cottage:

1. It is far more remote than advertised - About 1 hour minimum to get to most major destinations and expensive to travel. We spent several hours each day in backseat of car. We also spent over 7,000 baht ($275 USD) on hotel's car service or taxis over 4 days. Most taxis have no idea how to get here and may refuse to drive you from downtown CM because it is so far and remote. Be prepared to beg, bribe and/or navigate taxi driver each time you want to get back.

2. Most staff speak absolutely zero English and the rest speak only very basic phrases (heavy accent and no where near fluent). So be prepared to really struggle here if you do not speak Thai, as other reviewers have already noted.

3. Place is so overpriced for what you get. I paid more for Sukantara than I did the true 5-star luxury and impeccable service at the famous Shangri-La Hotel in Bangkok - seriously!! Sukantara Cascade's service is what i would expect for maybe a 3-Star bed and breakfast. Maybe.

4. Food is average at best and you have no other options given remote location. I do not eat meat so my vision of having fresh northern thai cuisine each day was pretty quickly dashed when I first saw the menu. There is a clear lack of fresh fruit and veggies here.

5. Very poor service - Not nearly enough staff for number of units and place often seems abandoned because receptionist is doubling as the porter or waiter is doubling as the driver, etc.

6. Poor construction/plumbing. As others have noted it is very difficult to get the showers and sinks to work properly (scalding or freezing), and our sink and toilet were wobbly and in need of maintenance.

7. Infested with ants. On and under dining tables and chairs in restaurant, all over outdoor furniture, and worst of all in and around toilet which I abruptly discovered at 3am one fine early morning.

8. Very spotty wifi. Don't plan to be connected to world much up here. Fine if that is what you are looking for but we were trying to research latter legs of our Thailand trip and lack of Internet made very difficult to even check in for flight.

The Old City seems to be the best base camp for foreign tourists looking to soak up the particular artsy and youthful vibe of Chiang Mai. Sukantara really seems geared toward Thais looking to spend some down time in mountains.

P.s. Angelina stayed here for exactly 1 night almost 10 years ago.....in case you were wondering.

Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Engee
Reviewed 11 December 2012

You can look at the pictures to see how amazing the scenery is but the staff is just as good. I was a little concerned after reading some of the reviews on here, but the resort was worth every penny to me. We stayed 2 nights after staying in downtown chiangmai. Don't stay here if you want to go into town every night. It is at least a half hour taxi ride from town, but that is what we were looking for. The only negative I have was the rooms are slightly rundown, broken lamps etc. but they were not dirty. I would stay here again. Also, the food at the restaurant was good and fairly priced considering you have no other option.

Date of stay: November 2012
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights Sept 2012 on our first trip to Thailand and I would strongly reccomend it to anyone! The setting is unbeatable, eating your meals on a platform beside a waterfall is beyond special, and the northern thai dishes were some of the tastiest meals I have had. The staff were helpful and welcoming and the resorts driver Ben took us to all the best local attractions and always with a happy smile! This place really is a must-do!

Date of stay: September 2012
Reviewed 5 November 2012

The hotel is beautifully situated by waterfall. Although it is quite further from town, there are many attractions nearby. In terms of accommodation, this is as close to nature as you can get. Personally, however, I dislike all the bugs, lizards and mosquitos so I did not enjoy it as much as I could have. The decor of the room looks somewhat unfinished (raw concrete in the bathroom) and the bed was not too comfortable. The food, on the other hand, is excellent. We had a romantic Thai dinner set which was definitely the most memorable part of our trip.

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2012

It is hard to do justice to this hotel(?!). It is so much more. It may not be your standard 5 stars hotel and is quite remote but why would you want to leave paradise and go to another market? Couldn't believe my luck when I saw my villa on the cascade. The most beautiful location I have ever stayed or will, I believe. Don't come with your kids, come with your lover and don't make plans to go anywhere.

Room tip: Pool villa was great
Date of stay: August 2012