“Home away from home”

Ranked #1 of 9 Plaka B&B and Inns
London
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I spent ages trying to find a great place to stay that was off the tourist track in Naxos last year. Athina's offers the perfect location. It is across the road from beautiful Plaka beach, so the sea is literally on your doorstep. Not only that, it has a gorgeous swimming pool, so its great to wake up and go for an early morning swim.

The rooms are simple, but great value, but what makes Athina's the best place to stay is the unlimited hospitality. I stayed there last August, and I am writing a review now, because it really is a place I would want to go back to.

Athina is always helpful, and offers really special little extras, from fresh coffee and home baked pies and creations in the morning, to chocolates at sunset and even gifts when you leave.

She really knows how to make you feel special for the price you pay, and I would choose her over the cheaper, busier places next door, with no home away from home atmosphere any day.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the first floor rooms facing the beach, they have great balconies and are quieter tha...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank SpecialKLondon

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Greek first
Athens
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed in one of the Mouses suites, Efterpi. Limited space, one very small window, but very new and well decorated. The old 15'' CRT TV and the bad taste wooden table that supported it, were out of tune with the rest of the room.
A plus for the very good sound isolation and the hotel style water cooled aircondition (not the usual air-condition unit you usually find in rental rooms).
Daily cleaned, towels changed every two days and sheets every three days . A bathrobe exists for every guest and you can ask for extra pool towels.
Do check the other suites, especially the ones in the first floor and those with own private balcony.
Although there wasn't really a buffet, every day the owner treated us with something, hand made marmalade, home made pie e.t.c.
The splendid beach of Plaka is right across the road and if you don't feel like it, there is always the pool.
Highlight the Sunday pizza nights where the owner's husband treats the guests with his own pizza baked in the wooden oven.
Overall the friendliness and service of the owner was what earned us and we will return there in the first occasion.

Room Tip: The Mousses complex is the newest and best place to choose.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lepidas
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Our family stayed at Athina Studios/Muses Suites for an absolutely wonderful and relaxing week in August. This was our second stay, and like the first, was perfect. We have stayed in many hotels on over 20 islands in Greece (including 2 other hotels in Agios Giorgios on Naxos) and have found this hotel to be our favorite.

Hospitality: Athina does everything she can to make sure you have an enjoyable, comfortable stay. In addition to giving you her cell number, she was constantly asking if there was anything we needed. She went above and beyond: from making my kids hot chocolate and remembering exactly which pastry each child likes to even offering to lend me a swimsuit. Her husband treated the guests to a delicious pizza night with fabulous homemade pizza made in their outdoor brick oven. Our room was always spotlessly clean and requests for an extra pillow or towel were honored immediately.

Atmosphere: The rooms were charming, with character and nice artistic touches. We had a large veranda with a table with four director's chairs overlooking the sea - it was relaxing to sit out there and have coffee in the morning and watch the sunset in the evening. And while it seems unnecessary to swim in a pool with the beautiful sea steps away, my kids did enjoy the pool, which was a very enjoyable oasis surrounded by green plants.

Location: It is located directly across a dirt road from one of the most stellar beaches in Greece: Plaka Beach is a wide, sandy beach with clear, beautiful water. While it has been getting more and more covered with organized umbrella areas, there are also still areas where you can bring your own set up if you prefer. As well, the hotel is within easy walking distance of two markets (Star Market and Maragas) and to several great dining choices: Nostimies, Meze, Picasso and Three Brothers (a bit further down the road), and to dessert and coffee places like the Cedar Café, a Creperie and a Waffle House. It is not near any party places or discos, but then that's not why people come to Naxos.

All of the other guests we met were repeat visitors - like us. This hotel is a gem and we will be back!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank javaswim
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 20 June 2010

I know most of the Naxos experts agree that the St. George beach area is the best area to stay in for most, and I can definitely see the attraction to the area due to convenience. My husband and I tend to go for less crowded beaches and a bit more elbow room, so we opted to stay on the northern side of Plaka beach on Naxos, and we really enjoyed it. We stayed in Muses Suites, which is the sister property to Athina Studios. Normally I would never book anything w/ such little information on tripadvisor on the property, but I have a girlfriend (who is also a travel agent) who stayed there 2 years ago and loved it, so in this one case I risked it and thankfully it turned out perfectly. It was our 5 year anniversary and we wanted accommodations that were a tad more special than a typical studio, and the Erato Suite at Muses Suites was PERFECT (although I fully admit it’s twice the price of a room w/ a view at the Plaka hotel or Hotel Glaros and not the best for value, but our room was nicer than what the pictures on the plaka hotel and hotel glaros show). The Erato Suite had a separate living room with couch and chairs w/ fire place and typical kitchenette, the bedroom had a king size canopy bed w/ flowy material draped over it, a dressing table and large closet. The bathroom was not large by any means, but the shower was much larger (3’x4’ I believe) than the typical 2’x2’ corner shower I often get in some European hotels. Our suite had 3 balconies, the one facing the plaka beach with the gorgeous view was HUGE, had a table for 4, umbrella plus a couch. There was an internet station and grocery store within 100ft of the hotel too which was convenient! Athina studios had a very nice pool which while we never used, many of the families staying enjoyed.

Athina, who runs both Athina Studios and Muses suites, was such a great host. She took care of everything for us, arrival/departure taxis, dune buggy rental, restaurant recommendations, information on the island, tours, things to do etc. Her coffee and cakes were very good; I’m a sucker for good STRONG coffee!

We dined at Meze, Paradiso, Cypress Café, Yazoo, Picasso Mexican Grill (I hate to admit to having tex mex in Greece but it was very good although pricy), and a few others I’m forgetting. Over all we really enjoyed the local dishes and loved the Naxos cheese and potatoes!

There is a grocery store and internet cafe within 100 ft of Muses Suites, and several restaurants, the location on Plaka beach is perfect! We cannot wait to return!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Seaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2010

When my friend & I decided to spend 5 days on Naxos after Amorgos we immediately rang Athina ,with whom we had stayed 3 years previously, for an apartment. The service as before was 1st class. She does everything to help you enjoy your stay and is an absolute perfectionist when it comes to overseeing the cleaning & maintenance of the apartments. The pool is a haven from the heat of the Plaka beach & the rooms have quiet & effective air conditioning, immaculate bathrooms and everything always works which is so unusual in many Greek places. I have been travelling to the Greek isles for over 35 years now & cannot recommend Athina & her apartments highly enough. I would never choose to stay in an impersonal hotel when I can have an apartment with all facilities included [fridge; cooker; utensils; even television though who would want to watch TV when on holiday in Greece is a mystery [apart from football aficionados!] & the best taverna on Naxos just 5 minutes walk away plus local bus right into Naxos Town.
Thanks, Athina!

• Stayed June 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 4 June 2010

My wife and I spent the second week of our honeymoon at Studios Athina on Plaka beach on Naxos. The location is by far the most beautiful on the island. The studios are a pristine white and blue with ground lavishly landscaped and a pool. Though we were there a few weeks before high season began the rates were outstanding, half what we paid in Athens, and at least twice the value. Across a tiny back street, 50 yards from our perfect window with a view, is Plaka beach.

Easily the best beach on the island. Half a dozen wonderful restaurants, horseback riding, windsurfing and scuba diving all within a 10 minute walk or in our case a 2 minute scooter ride (65 euro for a week including insurance). The beach itself is clean, with families and couples lounging in the soft sand. Parts of the long beach have tiki-style umbrella set up for the casual sunbather or swimmer. The water is the turquoise you’d imagine and you can watch the sun set over the water every night from any of the local restaurants.

Athina, lovely Athina, helped us enjoy our time more than any host on our trip to Greece. There was a taxi waiting for us at the airport. We had only mention an interest in renting a scooter and she put us in contact with a company that had it to our doorstep in less than an hour. She provided us with expert advice on cities to visit up in the hills of Naxos, how to arrange for an excursion to Santorini (perfect as a day trip), even on the best local ice cream shop in Naxos Town.

My wife and I spent a week there but could’ve stayed another month. I highly recommend Naxos (though staying out of Naxos Town as there is not much to do beyond souvenir shop) and I even more recommend staying at Studios Athina on Plaka beach. http://www.studiosathina.gr/ . If we ever able to return to Greece we would go out of our way to return to Naxos and stay with Athina.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dan_M_10
sydney, australia
Reviewed 24 January 2010

We stayed at Athina Studios last June for six nights. I had done extensive research before selecting this property and I was not disappointed. It was perfect for our needs. Our upstairs room with balcony faced the pool and the beach across the road and our friends had a room behind us with a side balcony looking towards the sea. The rooms were very comfortable, roomy and had an adequate kitchenette. As noted, breakfast is really not included but every morning complimentary fresh coffee, greek cakes and pastries were available. Wonderful. The location is right on Plaka Beach, in our opinion the best beach for walking and swimming. Less than five minutes away is a small supermarket, internet access and the bus stop into town. We could stay at the beach during the day and then catch the bus (20 mins.) into Naxos Town for dinner as the return buses run fairly late. As well, there were plenty of good dining options within walking distance of our hotel. However, the outstanding attraction to this place is Athina herself and her lovely staff. She is overwhelmingly helpful, knowledgeable, kind and funny. Just a lovely person really. Naxos is a diverse, beautiful island with a multitude of things to do and see.
We will be back, for sure.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank theferra
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plaka
Aegean Land
#2 of 58 in Naxos Town
Liana Hotel
Liana Hotel
#2 of 21 in Agios Prokopios

Been to Athina Studios and Apartments? Share your experiences!