“Perfect week on Naxos”

Ranked #1 of 9 Plaka B&B and Inns
Phoenix, Arizona
“Perfect week on Naxos”
Reviewed 4 June 2010

My wife and I spent the second week of our honeymoon at Studios Athina on Plaka beach on Naxos. The location is by far the most beautiful on the island. The studios are a pristine white and blue with ground lavishly landscaped and a pool. Though we were there a few weeks before high season began the rates were outstanding, half what we paid in Athens, and at least twice the value. Across a tiny back street, 50 yards from our perfect window with a view, is Plaka beach.

Easily the best beach on the island. Half a dozen wonderful restaurants, horseback riding, windsurfing and scuba diving all within a 10 minute walk or in our case a 2 minute scooter ride (65 euro for a week including insurance). The beach itself is clean, with families and couples lounging in the soft sand. Parts of the long beach have tiki-style umbrella set up for the casual sunbather or swimmer. The water is the turquoise you’d imagine and you can watch the sun set over the water every night from any of the local restaurants.

Athina, lovely Athina, helped us enjoy our time more than any host on our trip to Greece. There was a taxi waiting for us at the airport. We had only mention an interest in renting a scooter and she put us in contact with a company that had it to our doorstep in less than an hour. She provided us with expert advice on cities to visit up in the hills of Naxos, how to arrange for an excursion to Santorini (perfect as a day trip), even on the best local ice cream shop in Naxos Town.

My wife and I spent a week there but could’ve stayed another month. I highly recommend Naxos (though staying out of Naxos Town as there is not much to do beyond souvenir shop) and I even more recommend staying at Studios Athina on Plaka beach. http://www.studiosathina.gr/ . If we ever able to return to Greece we would go out of our way to return to Naxos and stay with Athina.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dan_M_10

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Greek first
sydney, australia
Reviewed 24 January 2010

We stayed at Athina Studios last June for six nights. I had done extensive research before selecting this property and I was not disappointed. It was perfect for our needs. Our upstairs room with balcony faced the pool and the beach across the road and our friends had a room behind us with a side balcony looking towards the sea. The rooms were very comfortable, roomy and had an adequate kitchenette. As noted, breakfast is really not included but every morning complimentary fresh coffee, greek cakes and pastries were available. Wonderful. The location is right on Plaka Beach, in our opinion the best beach for walking and swimming. Less than five minutes away is a small supermarket, internet access and the bus stop into town. We could stay at the beach during the day and then catch the bus (20 mins.) into Naxos Town for dinner as the return buses run fairly late. As well, there were plenty of good dining options within walking distance of our hotel. However, the outstanding attraction to this place is Athina herself and her lovely staff. She is overwhelmingly helpful, knowledgeable, kind and funny. Just a lovely person really. Naxos is a diverse, beautiful island with a multitude of things to do and see.
We will be back, for sure.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank theferra
England
Reviewed 18 October 2009

Fabulous location for a truly relaxing September holiday. Just what we needed - sun (very comfortable heat), lovely sandy beach, with crystal clear sea, just across the road and a spotless clean pool, which was not freezing cold. There are loads of Tavernas within easy walking distance, one is even on the beach so you don't have to move off it. The studio apartment we had was a good size with a beautiful balcony over-looking the sea and was thoroughly cleaned every day. Athina, the owner,was very helpful and although no meals were included she constantly offered little food treats and the coffee urn was available all day. We plan to return!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Warsaw
Reviewed 3 August 2009

The house is traditional Greek style, in good condition and great location. Dining in house is not possible (this is a "studio" and not an Hotel) unless you want to make use of the kitchinette in the bedroom. But in walking distance you will find anything you need, including real Greek tavernas. The difference is made by the owner, Athina: a dynamic, proactive and customers focused lady. From morning till evening offers you great espresso coffee and home made cookies. Any question you have she is there to answer. I really enjoyed the time there.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
North Carolina
Reviewed 2 June 2009

My husband and I stayed five nights at Athina Studios in Plaka Beach. We had a wonderful stay. The studios are very clean, the pool area and gardens are beautiful, and the location is great for beach-hopping. Although, we didn't prefer the beach at Plaka, it was still a central location for seeing everything. Athina herself is very sweet and thoughtful. She helped us with our questions and couldn't have been nicer. We already miss Naxos and can't wait to return someday!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Montreal
Reviewed 16 May 2009

My husband and I stayed her for a week during our honeymoon to the Greek Islands. Well, what can I say, other that we still talk about our experience on the island of Naxos and at the Muses Suites. Our stay was perfect, charming, delightful, and very romantic! We stayed in a ocean front suite. It was sooooooooo beautiful, very clean, very funtional, (shower had lots of hot water and good water pressure) 2 balconies (one with a terrace). That and a beautiful quiet beach in front of us. Ahhhhhhhhh. We could not have asked for more. Trust me! We hope to go back to Naxos and if we do, we'd for sure stay there again. Hope you do too!

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peens
athens & brussels
Reviewed 10 March 2009

We visit Naxos almost every year. I can’t believe the reviews here. ATHINA is the most expensive we have ever been to but not our favorite. The building must be old, the rooms were refurnished but not successfully in all parts, the kitchen and bathroom were very small and there was no real breakfast! I felt like a beggar the first morning, because tenants have to bring their plate to the reception, where they are “kind enough” to give you some coffee and sweets. For so much money! I was furious. From the second day, I preferred making my own breakfast in my room. We were also invited by another tenant in a room on the ground floor, it was more than staying underground, there were some steps taking you downstairs.
I can’t believe my brother-in-law was staying at the same period in a completely new room near Naxos town that looked so much better than this one for just 45 Euro!!! I also can’t believe we paid double the price than last year –in another rooms to let- despite the fact we stayed in a worse room, double instead of a triple room and did not bring our son with us. Next year I prefer to bring my whole family for less the price to a better accommodation.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank europaholic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plaka
Aegean Land
Saint Vlassis Hotel
Saint Vlassis Hotel
#2 of 58 in Naxos Town
Acti Plaka Apartments

Been to Athina Studios and Apartments? Share your experiences!