“Fantastic place to stay!”
Review of Medusa Resort

Medusa Resort
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Plaka
Reviewed 6 August 2012

As others have said before, this is the best choice when staying on Naxos. My husband and I stayed here five nights, and can't wait to go back again!
Mariangela does a great job running the front desk, and was so helpful to my husband and I whenever we needed anything.
We loved how this was a truly family run resort, and it felt so comfortable from the moment we arrived. Yannis, the bar tender, and Kim and Eddie, the wait staff, we all SO friendly, and we couldn't have been happier.
The only thing that I could note that may bother some people is that Medusa is pretty remote. If you are unable to walk a good distance on the beach, then don't plan on going anywhere unless you have a car or hire a taxi to pick you up. This didn't bother us, as we were fine walking along the beach when we wanted to catch the bus, but I know for some people it could really be problematic.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

We chose Medusa because it is isolated - out of Naxos town, but close enough to get to closeby restaurants or to tour the island. This perfectly run resort is exactly what other reviewers have stated, and the efficiency of Mariangela is not to be understated - absolutely nothing is too much trouble, and every request is met with 'of course' We relaxed on the stunning beach, loved every meal, the beach bar and the pool. We chose the junior suite for its larger bed and appreciated the extra space and the giant shower. Mariangela arranged for our car - delivered to Medusa - and gave spot on directions for reaching the mountain villages and Naxos town. For a reasonable fee, we were picked up at the airport and dropped off at the port when we left. Our servers, Kim and Eddie, were terrific - a smile and welcome everyday - and we enjoyed getting to know them both so much. The food is absolutely wonderful - from the perfect morning omelet to the best carbonara we have ever had. We were told it gets busy in August - lots of "noisy families" ! - but early-mid June was superb. Can't rec this one highly enough!

Reviewed 15 June 2012

My wife and I stayed 8 nights at the Medusa after visiting Santorini. We loved it so much, we only left once to go to the main town for stamps, postcards and pressies. The owners have a very professional approach while friendly and the staff is excellent too. We enjoyed everything, its isolated position, the beach, the garden, the pool and the food. Our room was comfortable, clean and had a beautiful garden/seaview. An ideal place for a relaxing break.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

Spent a lovely several days based at the Medusa resort. The rooms are fresh and excellent, the beach bar is unrivaled, and the private slice of beach is sheer paradise. The family owners are personable and know the island well, helping us plan several fun day trips. The restaurant is quite good, try the calamari! Staff is warm and knowledgeable. A beautiful place to celebrate twenty years of marriage. Go soon!

Doug from Doylestown, Pennsylvania, USA

Reviewed 18 February 2012

Have been meaning to write a review for awhile. We stayed at the Medusa this past summer in July on a 2 week tour of 3 islands, Naxos, Santorini and Crete. This was my kids and ours favorite island and hotel. We loved the Medusa , especially the location, beach , pool , dinners , breakfasts, and service. My daughter wrote a paper in 4 th grade about the breakfasts and beach at Medusa, she loved it so much! We also liked the kayaking available to guest and kayaked almost every day. Rented a car for a few days to explore other beaches but also looked forward to returning to our beach and pool everyday. Really loved it and will return someday!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank MonicaRich
Reviewed 8 January 2012

hayda l hotel ktir hello le2ano l maw2e3 taba3o 3al baher,wel 3alam ktir mneh,wel akel ktir ktir tayeb..l goraf ktir helween wo ndaf...lik l hotel soooo nice...............

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank micheal t
Reviewed 26 November 2011

My wife and I stayed at Medusa for 3 nights in the executive suite during our honeymoon at the end of August 2011. After their 'newlywed discount' we paid close to 250 euros per night, and so our expectations were fairly high. There are nice things about Medusa, as many people have said. Also we were also eager to have a good time and so we were willing to politely overlook things like the mediocre sea view (mostly powerlines, half built houses, and yes, a little sea,- see photo), the lack of privacy from at jacuzzi, the fact that we had to ask twice before they fixed the room phone, the stale bread at breakfast, the plastic bottle that sat in our garden for 2 days, the embarrassingly tattered rag that they fly which was once a Canadian flag, the extra 30 euro charge for transportation, interrupting our dinner to lecture us on not pushing buttons on the jacuzzi, hanging our laundry (underwear and all) to dry in a public walkway and so on.

But we had an incident where they pushed things too far.

On our first night we brought some laundry to be cleaned. When they returned the laundry 2 days later, we noticed that it included the t-shirt of another guest, and that my wife's top was missing. Immediately I brought them the t-shirt and informed them about the missing garment. We were told that housekeeping had not delivered all our laundry and that they would bring it soon. They didn't bother checking if this was true, even though it was clear from the other guest's t-shirt that they had already made a mistake; and it wasn't true - there were no more clothes coming. If they had bothered speaking to housekeeping right away, perhaps the situation could have been easily resolved. On our third morning, when we were packing for check out, I asked again about the garment and only then did they start looking for it. I spent my last morning there running around describing it to various staff members, showing them a photo of it, and repeatedly explaining that it was not a T-shirt (it was a kind of fancy camousal/tank top thing). It wasn't a fun departure.

Ok, they made an honest mistake. It could have happened anywhere. But if you were a hotel that was planning to take 750 euros for a three night stay, and ignored their problem when they brought it to your attention, how would you respond to those guests? I was expecting an acceptance of responsibility, a sincere apology, an offer to refund the garment, and some redress for the inconvenience that they caused, e.g., comping one of our meals or waiving the transportation fee (we shared the van with another guest - it would have cost them nothing), something like that and we would have left with no bad feelings.

Instead, they did none of that, there was no proper apology and they asked us to pay them the 20 euro laundry fee (for the service of losing the shirt). Their 'plan' was to somehow get our garment back from the guest whose t-shirt we received (they had left the hotel by then) and send it to us. This seemed pretty sketchy so I wanted to talk about what they would do if they couldn't get it back, but they absolutely refused to even discuss it, they insisted that we would get it in a few days. The feeling was that they wanted us to pay and leave, treating the status of the garment as irrelevant toward the bill. I felt that if I had been louder and angrier we would have gotten a far more serious response from them, but it was our honeymoon, so I tried to stay polite.

And then. . . nothing.

Nearly two weeks later, I sent them an email asking what was going on, and they said that they had not been able to contact the other guest, and then few days later, gave a rather curt email saying that it was in fact lost. Oops.

At this point I was fairly ticked off and sent them an email saying so. It was filled with words like 'unsatisfied', 'disappointed', 'unprofessional', 'indifferent treatment' and the like. It was not especially friendly in its tone, but relatively restrained, and not at all inappropriate it the context. Far from coming forth with a real apology, they responded with a lengthy email repeatedly expressing indignation at my being 'insulting' towards their hotel. What can I say? They are a family hotel - if they weren't, this email would have deservedly gotten any normal hotel employee fired. At this point I wasn't surprised - they had our money, why should they listen to my complaint? Their main grievance with me seemed to be that I didn't complain enough at the time. . . because I didn't appear unsatisfied enough at the time they thought they could get away with giving me this shabby treatment without repercussions.

Anyway, 8 weeks and some 10 or so emails later, we finally got back the money for the lost garment.

Medusa has left a seriously bad taste in my mouth. I don't like feeling as if I'm being taken advantage of when I'm on my honeymoon. Their treatment of us - especially from check out on - was inexcusably unprofessional. It's not the place to go if you want a special memory.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank JamBooth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plaka
Villa Marandi Luxury Suites
#18 of 57 in Naxos Town
Plaza Beach Hotel
Plaza Beach Hotel
#3 of 7 in Plaka

Been to Medusa Resort? Share your experiences!