We made a one-night last minute booking; if only we could have stayed longer! From the warmth of the welcome when we arrived to the manifold charms of the house and the excellence of the food and service, it was all near-perfect. As others have remarked, it is a country house, rather than a hotel.The house has a wonderful distinctive scent of woodsmoke, piles of wellies and magazines for the guests, sinky squashy sofas and chairs....We have often been for lunch over the past twenty years, but never stayed. Now we have, we want to go again!
Apart from a pudding that was a bit over-complicated, there was nothing to criticise; although for those who want a large hotel with pools and shiny new everything, (and I like these things on occasion) this is not that hotel.
Gravetye is very well placed to do lots of exploring of historic properties and gardens; we visited chartwell and Nymans. Perhaps Glyndebourne next time...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This 17 bedroom Relais & Chateaux Country House Hotel near West Hoathly in Sussex, is set in 1000 acres of wooded parklands and gardens, famous for being created by William Robinson, arguably one of England’s greatest gardeners. It is hard to believe that this secluded haven of peace and tranquility is only 12 miles from Gatwick Airport and 30 miles from Central London. Enjoy glorious vistas from this remarkable 16th Century Elizabethan Manor, relax in surroundings of timeless elegance and savour top hospitality, fine wines and exquisite food. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with World Independent Hotel Promotion, Booking.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Priceline and Hotel.de so you can book your Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gravetye Manor East Grinstead
- Gravetye Manor Hotel And Restaurant West Hoathly, West Sussex, UK