Lovely hotel, superb grounds, magical breakfasts outside, and and well worth staying for these alone. Excellent service, bar nobody there to help with carrying cases on arrival (but probably a brief aberration). Nice touches like proper coffee with fresh milk in the room for that all important kick start in the morning. Wonderfully quiet - lobby off room to exclude all sounds from other guests. Would have liked a slightly better quality mattress which was only marginally disguised by a rather thin mattress pad (and as always I had to use my own down pillow - but that's pretty normal).
The big disappointment was the food - an evening meal which was an astonishing mass of blubber! Firstly I was given veal as a replacement for the item chosen which was no longer available - this turned out to be 95% congealed veal fat. The second item was neck of lamb, which is inherently fatty. This would have been just fine had it been balanced by something astringent to balance out the fat, but two tiny bits of buttery asparagus did not do this. The meat's flavour was quite bitter under the disguising fatty sauce, but could have again been balanced and better disguised by a sauce created by a chef with some imagination and at least some sort of palate. The lump of meat was as huge as the veg were sparse, presumably an attempt to make us feel better about paying handsomely for what tasted like pub food. I'd really recommend a stay, but would also recommend eating out in the evening, unless I was just unlucky that night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This 17 bedroom Relais & Chateaux Country House Hotel near West Hoathly in Sussex, is set in 1000 acres of wooded parklands and gardens, famous for being created by William Robinson, arguably one of England’s greatest gardeners. It is hard to believe that this secluded haven of peace and tranquility is only 12 miles from Gatwick Airport and 30 miles from Central London. Enjoy glorious vistas from this remarkable 16th Century Elizabethan Manor, relax in surroundings of timeless elegance and savour top hospitality, fine wines and exquisite food. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gravetye Manor East Grinstead
- Gravetye Manor Hotel And Restaurant West Hoathly, West Sussex, UK