“Stood up for lunch but the Cat made my Sunday”
Review of The Cat Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Hoathly
The Cat Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 West Hoathly B&B and Inns
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
“Stood up for lunch but the Cat made my Sunday”
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Having walked Rosie, my black labrador, on one of several excellent walks in the area, I chose a quiet table to have a pint of shandy and wait for my date. Rosie was made to feel very welcome with a large bowl of water (it was one of the few really hot days in the summer).
I waited in vain and with no signal on my phone, had to cross to the churchyard where I had been reliable informed I would get a signal.
A dead battery had put paid to our date but I went back anyway and consoled myself with the most amazing roast beef Sunday lunch. The Yorkshire pudding was amazing and I washed it down with a lovely glass of red whilst catching up on the Olympics reading one of their Sunday papers.
The staff were extremely helpful, watching on Rosie, whilst I went over to the churchyard and were becoming extremely busy by the time I left.
Sunday lunch is not cheap at the Cat but the beef was top quality and their was a large selection of vegetables. Thanks to the Cat my Sunday was made up and as for my date, she would make up for it next time we met!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Cheltenham
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We've just returned from a fabulous night away at the Cat Inn. Tucked away in this beautiful part of West Sussex we couldn't have hoped for more, from the moment we arrived to the moment we left.

The food at breakfast and dinner was excellent. The room was large, light and airy and overlooked the church and the village.

Little things make all the difference, from the OS map and walk suggestions, to the coffee maker on the landing. The attentiveness and friendliness of the staff was outstanding and we felt like very valued guests.

The only disappointing thing was leaving! We hope to be back soon!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2012

This was our first visit to The Cat after hearing so many amazing stories from friends about the great food and drink.
We were not disappointed.
This pub/inn is tucked away in West Hoathly, and as we went on a Monday night, we were struck by how busy it was.
The staff were very attentive and we were served drinks swiftly and shown to our reserved table.
A measure of a good menu for me is making my mind up on what I would like to order, this was not an easy decision for either starter or main.
My starter was the fishcake, which I was warned was hot and blimey it was. No need to complain that it was only luke warm.
My main was the sirloin steak special. At twenty odd pounds I thought it was a little pricey......, until I started to eat it......., absolutely fantastic. I would have paid £30 for it.
The food had been so good I had to have a pudding, sticky toffee pudding, my favourite and it was stunning too.
The food was washed down with a couple of pints of the pubs own beer, which was also lovely.

We will be back and on many occasions.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We went out for lunch at 'The Cat ' at the weekend and had a lovely lunch with friends. There is something for everyone on the menu which was cooked to perfection and well presented. We had a cheeseboard afterwards which was very generous and a good selection of three tasty cheeses with celery and grapes. The service was prompt and efficient. There was nothing I could fault, so we will return soon to this cosy country pub.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
lepidocrocite
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Large but charming and well executed Gastro Pub just south of London. With good (pubby) food and excellent bedrooms. Some big tables - I could easily see bringing a group of 8 to eat and stay here. Evening meal was good but breakfast stood out both in terms of quality and size.

Would be a good base for people wanting to explore the area.

Only downside: we found the bed a little too soft, but thats only our preface.

Room Tip: Room 1 overlooking church very large and comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Visited The Cat Inn with friends who have moved to the area. It was a first visit for all of us and we were not disappointed.

The pub interior successfully melds the contemporary with the traditional and has a very welcoming ambience. The staff are genuinely friendly and efficient, even during the peak of Sunday lunch when a full bar and restaurant might test the patience and courtesy of anybody!

The menu provides great choice for meat, fish and vegetarian diners: lovely Rye Bay plaice; succulent roast beef; impressive pies; vegetarian soup; and goat's cheese with roasted vegetables. Portions (and accompaniments) are generous so if you've a sweet tooth and you take a fancy to one of the delicious desserts you might want to skip the starters.

The Cat's wine list is modest in terms of its range but there are several wines by the glass, and for beer and cider drinkers there's plenty to enjoy.

Pricewise The Cat provides good value for money, certainly for a Sunday lunch.

If you're in the area, definitely give The Cat a go. If you're a local resident, consider yourselves lucky to have such a fine pub within striking distance.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
East Grinstead UK
Reviewed 23 August 2012

My wife and I had dinner at the Cat Inn having dined there some years ago. We did not recognise the interior as has changed (for the better) out of all recognition. There is penty of car parking and a large outdoor seating area. we were greeted by a young girl in a most friendly and pleasant way and shown to our table. All the staff were very pleasant and seemed eager to please. They have an extensive menu of good old-fahiosned 'pub-grub' plus specials on the blackboard. There is also a very good wine list although perhaps a bit expensive for a country pub. We skipped the starters as my wife had spotted a pudding that she liked and wished to leave some room for it! I ordered sausage, mash and greens in onion gravy and my wife had stuffed aubergine. There was a bit of a wait for the meal (about 30 minutes) but the results were well worth waiting for as it had obviously been cooked fresh and was piping hot. My sausage and mash was excellent and one of the best I have tasted with lovely sticky sausages cooked to perfection. My wife was very pleased with her meal also. We finished with elderfower panncotta and fresh berry compote which was again excellent. Even the filter coffee was well above average in quality and finshed off a lovely meal. we will certainly go back and not leave it so long this time!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Brambletye Hotel
Brambletye Hotel
#2 of 2 in Forest Row
Holiday Inn London Gatwick Worth

Been to The Cat Inn? Share your experiences!