“Food, pub and ambiance at it's best”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Cat Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Hoathly
The Cat Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 West Hoathly B&B and Inns
Lausanne
“Food, pub and ambiance at it's best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

It's the second time we went to the Cat in 6months. Most of the time, you get deceived when r we turning after a perfect meal. Our second visit was even better. Great food, funny and intelligent service, nice beer and a very good ambiance.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DanielCH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

I visited The Cat Inn yesterday evening with my husband for dinner . I had Pork Belly and my husband had Steak Pie , both meals were fabulous and we really enjoyed them .

I have visited many times previously for lunch and dinner and before Christmas with friends who were visiting us from South Africa . We wanted to take them to a wonderful , warm , friendly British pub/restaurant with good quality food and they loved it .

Service as always outstanding and staff are attentive , approachable and extremly helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer E
Hassocks, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

This was the second time that we had eaten at The Cat in the last few weeks. We found the menu varied and the food good. The staff were friendly and helpful. However the main point of reviewing The Cat is to say that it is essential that you sit in the 'old' part of the seating area which is cosy and intimate with, at this time of the year, a real log fire. The new extension by contrast does nothing at all for the pub or it's atmosphere and merely crams in a load more covers.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DavidJC1956
Sussex, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

We visited The Cat for Saturday lunch after word of mouth recommendations. So our expectations were understandably high.

West Hoathly is a pretty little Sussex village, with The Cat located right in the middle of it.

We entered through the door straight into the pub area, which is cozy looking.

After spending ages trying to catch the attention of any staff member, we were shown through to a table in the new-looking annex, right next the toilets. The new area (which is by far the biggest space at The Cat) doesn't match the rest of the building at all, and is decorated in awful plastic hops. The location of the table is equally awful, and people constantly brushed past us. The restaurant was busy, so there was nowhere to move to.

Aftef 10 minutes, someone came to take our drinks orders. 10 minutes later these were served. Then another 10 minutes later our orders were taken. And so on. Except when we tried to leave after the meal when nobody was around for 20 minutes and I had to actually go up to the bar and ask for the bill.

For starters we had a combination of soup and the charcuterie board. For mains the sea bass, calves liver, steak pie and pork belly. The sea bass was dry, steak pie bland and pork belly was jelly-like. We didn't see any point in returning the food due to the slow speed of servce and obvious disinterest of the waiter when we complained.

Well, at least we tried the place. But we won't be back. This restaurant is aimed at one-time visitors from London wanting to try out a "country pub". We recommend they try out places like The Green Man in Horsted Keynes, which is far more authentic.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank SussexCpl
Andrew R, Owner at The Cat Inn, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
I read your review and having looked at our reservations and walk-in clients on Saturday cannot see that you were here. I was working on Saturday and took all the orders,and do not recall you at all. I'm sorry. I find this to be a very spurious review. No one ever is left for 10 minutes for a drink order to be taken, or for a drink to arrive. This is simply not the case and 20 minutes for the order to be taken - no.

The dining room is decorated with real hops not plastic, which is why again, I really question whether you were here. They are there to improve the acoustics and remove food odours.

None of my team recall any complaints either, and they always tell me if a guest is unhappy. I had some very good comments from a couple of tables, including one that I spoke to who had waited a little longer than I would like for their food.

I see many faces on a regular basis, and am always delighted to welcome them back. I am proud of the food we serve. It is authentic, freshly prepared and cooked by a team who are passionate about their profession. We support and use local suppliers and producers for the majority of our menu items. Fish from day boats in Battle, Beef from Mason Estate, Horsted Keynes, Beales Farm, for charcuterie, and our eggs from the village. Vegetables are from organic suppliers in the Ashdown Forest.

Please, should you be in the neighbourhood, come and introduce yourself as I would love to be clear in my mind who you are.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Not been there for a few years and chose it when visiting the area for a family lunch Sunday after Christmas. It was very busy but we had booked a table. To be fair the staff were great and attentive and friendly. the menu wasn't very varied and the food a bit of a disappointment. On the whole very average. For example the shoulder of lamb when it arrived was a pile of fat and needed to play hunt the meat! There is no need for that eaten shoulder out on many an occasion never served like that. Shared a dish of veg with my husband which was OK but the parsnips consisted of one 1/4 piece each a little stingy we felt! I could have complained about the lamb but we were with my elderly inlaws who had been looking forward to eating out. Here I must praise the staff who offered to split a cottage pie main meal as my Father in law mentioned he ate very little. They said the cottage pie was tasty. The other meals eaten were just 'alright' not yummy enough to return very quickly but I am inclined to try it again hoping the average food was due their being so busy, Having said that the cost was £113 excluding drinks for 5! but with only 4 main courses. Possibly a little steep for just average. I have since asked friends who said they have enjoyed a good meal there during 2013.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Godstone, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Having been here before we chose to have the Xmas set menu, what a mistake the whole meal was poor and when I reported that to the waitress she said that she would talk to the chef, however she never came back to me and avoided me for the rest of the evening. Very poor show!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank manracer
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

The Cat looked after our discerning group of 29 ladies very well indeed last night. Each course was brought out promptly for the whole group, which was quite a feat. We all thought the Christmas menu was lovely, and good value.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
South Lodge Hotel
South Lodge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lower Beeding
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,538 reviews

Been to The Cat Inn? Share your experiences!