“Food lovely..portion controlled!”
Review of The Cat Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Hoathly
The Cat Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 West Hoathly B&B and Inns
West Sussex, England
“Food lovely..portion controlled!”
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

We ate at the cat this evening after a recommendation from a friend . The menu on the website looked great and I was looking forward to my meal. We were the first customers in the restaurant so pick of the tables, however understandably all tables were reserved after asking to move away from our allocated table (by the door) to another our only option was next to the toilet door which being early in the evening there was a lot of coming and going to a staff storeroom which must have been next to the toilet.
We just ordered a main meal as I fancied dessert rather than a starter. The food we ordered came out quickly and visually looked lovely. My husband ordered the liver I had the steak and mushroom pie. Whilst the food was absolutely delicious there was not enough of it. We both had 1 carrot. 1 sprout and some cabbage... the cabbage was lovely though ...more veggies would have been nice.
We also ordered a chocolate brownie to share.. Again, possibly on the small side, but delicious!
In my opinion it was a lovely meal but an expensive meal for the portions given. I certainly don't have an issue paying more for a meal that is delicious and is a good portion that does not leave me hungry afterwards.
Would I recommend the cat.. Yes the food was excellent but it would come with a caveat of pricey for the portion size.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
London
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My partner and I spent Valentine's night at the Cat Inn and it was absolutely excellent - I honestly couldn't fault it.

The pub is quaint and full of character as is the accommodation and the food was second to none. The service was also absolutely outstanding. I would definitely return and would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this place to others.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

It's a local gem and we have been going there for many years, in fact going tomorrow night! The food is always tasty and interesting with quality local produce and the prices do reflect this. They have a good selection of pub classics, which have been 'gastro'd' up as well as specials on the board including game and seasonal produce. They have a good wine list (and other half and dad always enjoy a Harveys) and the waitresses are always friendly too.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank natraliam
Lausanne
Reviewed 19 January 2014

It's the second time we went to the Cat in 6months. Most of the time, you get deceived when r we turning after a perfect meal. Our second visit was even better. Great food, funny and intelligent service, nice beer and a very good ambiance.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DanielCH
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I visited The Cat Inn yesterday evening with my husband for dinner . I had Pork Belly and my husband had Steak Pie , both meals were fabulous and we really enjoyed them .

I have visited many times previously for lunch and dinner and before Christmas with friends who were visiting us from South Africa . We wanted to take them to a wonderful , warm , friendly British pub/restaurant with good quality food and they loved it .

Service as always outstanding and staff are attentive , approachable and extremly helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer E
Hassocks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

This was the second time that we had eaten at The Cat in the last few weeks. We found the menu varied and the food good. The staff were friendly and helpful. However the main point of reviewing The Cat is to say that it is essential that you sit in the 'old' part of the seating area which is cosy and intimate with, at this time of the year, a real log fire. The new extension by contrast does nothing at all for the pub or it's atmosphere and merely crams in a load more covers.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DavidJC1956
Sussex, England
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

We visited The Cat for Saturday lunch after word of mouth recommendations. So our expectations were understandably high.

West Hoathly is a pretty little Sussex village, with The Cat located right in the middle of it.

We entered through the door straight into the pub area, which is cozy looking.

After spending ages trying to catch the attention of any staff member, we were shown through to a table in the new-looking annex, right next the toilets. The new area (which is by far the biggest space at The Cat) doesn't match the rest of the building at all, and is decorated in awful plastic hops. The location of the table is equally awful, and people constantly brushed past us. The restaurant was busy, so there was nowhere to move to.

Aftef 10 minutes, someone came to take our drinks orders. 10 minutes later these were served. Then another 10 minutes later our orders were taken. And so on. Except when we tried to leave after the meal when nobody was around for 20 minutes and I had to actually go up to the bar and ask for the bill.

For starters we had a combination of soup and the charcuterie board. For mains the sea bass, calves liver, steak pie and pork belly. The sea bass was dry, steak pie bland and pork belly was jelly-like. We didn't see any point in returning the food due to the slow speed of servce and obvious disinterest of the waiter when we complained.

Well, at least we tried the place. But we won't be back. This restaurant is aimed at one-time visitors from London wanting to try out a "country pub". We recommend they try out places like The Green Man in Horsted Keynes, which is far more authentic.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank SussexCpl
Andrew R, Owner at The Cat Inn, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
I read your review and having looked at our reservations and walk-in clients on Saturday cannot see that you were here. I was working on Saturday and took all the orders,and do not recall you at all. I'm sorry. I find this to be a very spurious review. No one ever is left for 10 minutes for a drink order to be taken, or for a drink to arrive. This is simply not the case and 20 minutes for the order to be taken - no.

The dining room is decorated with real hops not plastic, which is why again, I really question whether you were here. They are there to improve the acoustics and remove food odours.

None of my team recall any complaints either, and they always tell me if a guest is unhappy. I had some very good comments from a couple of tables, including one that I spoke to who had waited a little longer than I would like for their food.

I see many faces on a regular basis, and am always delighted to welcome them back. I am proud of the food we serve. It is authentic, freshly prepared and cooked by a team who are passionate about their profession. We support and use local suppliers and producers for the majority of our menu items. Fish from day boats in Battle, Beef from Mason Estate, Horsted Keynes, Beales Farm, for charcuterie, and our eggs from the village. Vegetables are from organic suppliers in the Ashdown Forest.

Please, should you be in the neighbourhood, come and introduce yourself as I would love to be clear in my mind who you are.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Hoathly
#2 of 2 in Forest Row
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
#2 of 4 in East Grinstead

Been to The Cat Inn? Share your experiences!