“Great Get-Away”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alderminster
Birmingham
“Great Get-Away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2008

Great hotel for a weekend getaway. Staff fantastically friendly and helpful and breakfast was superb. Our room was a good size and was very clean, and was very well furnished and equipped (there was enough drawer and wardrobe space to unpack for a fortnight's holiday, which makes a big difference to the pokey spaces many hotels expect you to stay these days).
Grounds were exceptionally beautiful - deer even ran by the hotel front door just to add to the whole ambience!
Some parts of the hotel feel like they need a bit of a refurb - strange damp smell on the stairs - and the plumbing was loud enough to be heard but not enough to disturb - but these are all things we put down as being well worth living with to be able to stay in such a fabulous building. A great treat.

• Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Redcar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2008

The Ettington Park is the perfect place for a Shakespeare visit. Set in pastoral Warwickshire the wonderfully peaceful, idyllic landscape is surpassed only by the warmth and genuine friendliness of the staff. The sociable, conversational manner of all members of staff is truly delightful. Whether this is a consequence of good inhouse training or a very consistent and clever recruitment policy the end result creates an atmosphere of honest concern for the guests. It goes without saying that with such an approach all the normal services of the very best hotels: clean fresh well appointed bedrooms, delicious and a wide variety of food, a readiness to meet guests special requirements, are all provided with pleasantness and to the highest quality. Added to this the awesome gothic building is rich in historic and cultural features to be enjoyed at leisure.

• Liked — Friendliness
  • Disliked — The size of the television screen in the bedroom
1 Thank danocorey
LONDON
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2008

My partner and myself were invited to a Football Game at Old Trafford which happened to fall the day after the anniversary of our meeting 6 years earlier. We decided to push the boat out and pay almost £300 for a room at Ettington Park on the saturday night.

This was the first mistake :

We arrived shortly after the 3pm check in time, which in my opinion is on the late side anyway. We were told that our room was not ready and would we like to take a coffee in the drawing room. We agreed and a waitor presented us with two small cafetieres of coffee and a bill for £8. Immediately I thought why am I paying for coffee the hotel should be providing without cost because they don't have our room ready at the advertised time.

We drank our coffee and waited and waited and waited. Another couple looked like they were in the same position and asked an employee if their room was ready. It was, as he walked away with them I took the opportunity to ask him if our room was ready, he looked at me with a disinterested look and said he would look into it.

So we waited and waited and he never came back. I then took the initiative and went to reception, I complained to the receptionist as it was now around 5pm (2 hours after the advertised checking in time). The manager arrived apologised and told us the room would be ready very soon. When I said to him 'it's obvious you're having logistical problems' he turned very defensive and tried to make all kinds of excuses. The bottom line was I was not happy and negotiated a reduction in the price of the room. They did throw in a cheap bottle of champagne while we waited even longer for the room.

Next the room was not what we ordered. We ordered a certain room with a feature four poster bed. This we did not get and once again I had to bring this to the managers attention, he couldn't really wriggle out of this one and admitted that their head office booking system had a flaw. This time he offered me another reduction in the room without prompting.

What should have been a postively memorable stay due to the beautiful gothic building, exhilirating setting and scenery was significantly marred by a poorly managed/run hotel which very reluctantly admitted culpability,

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Poorly run
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank NIGELWW
MrXX, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2008
I am so sorry to learn of the apparent issues that the guests above appear to have experienced during their visit to Ettington park last November. I would very much welcome the opportunity of addressing these issues with them personally and do hope that they may feel able to contact me personally at Ettington Park to discuss them further. I would hope to be able to make appropriate arrangements directly with them in order to demonstrate the seriousness with which I have taken their comments and subsequently be able to restore their faith in the high standards of hospitality with which we are more normally associated at Ettington Park.
Nottingham, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2008

When I saw all the fantastic reviews I was very excited at staying here for Christmas. I think I may have had unrealistic expectations because of this. Although I cant fault the staff who were attentive and polite and the entertainment that was laid on over the Christmas period my husband and I were absolutely speechless at the complete lack of soundproofing in the bedrooms, esp in the feature room we were staying in. Our first nights sleep was disturbed completely by the people upstairs who seemed to be playing computer games and having a party. We could also hear anybody in the corridor outside. When we mentioned this they seem suprised and said no-one had ever mentioned noise before (I find this impossible to imagine!) HOWEVER they did offer us an alternative room to sleep in which was much much smaller but seemed quieter. We agreed to sleep in this room and keep the larger one for the daytime - again I cant fault this but it was disappointing that we had cause to complain in the first place.
The noise levels continued to be an issue throughout our stay - on the final night the night porters were run ragged by drunk unsupervised teenagers who seemed to think they were in a boarding school. I can only imagine that everyone else had earplugs in as we seemed to be the only ones affected by this.
The food was of a good standard and there was plenty of it but we were disappointed with the Christmas Day meal that was not particulary inspiring.
We have stayed in many hotels throughout the world and although we cannot dispute the charm of the building and the excellent service from the staff I cannot rate this as excellent because we left feeling exhausted and not refreshed.

• Liked — Location and service
  • Disliked — The lack of soundproofing
2 Thank welltravellednotts
MrXX, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2008
We are of course so sorry that our guests above were disturbed during their Christmas stay by some residents accommodated in a bedroom directly above their own. This is by no means a common complaint in the Mansion House bedrooms as the house was solidly reconstructed in the early 19th Century when it was a private house. However, we are using the opportunity of current bedroom refurbishment to address any potential further issues.
Puy de Dome
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2008

My wife and I stayed at Ettington park for one night only and we wished it could have been longer.
The greeting we received when we arrived made us feel very welcome and valued.
The room was of a very high standard with a four poster bed a lovely view over the parkland and a luxurious bathroom.
The staff we met were excellent and could not do enough to help us with whatever we needed. The turning down of the bed whilst we were out of the room was a nice touch.
Although we did not eat dinner at the hotel the breakfast was excellent in both quality and quantiy.
Once again thankyou to the management and staff for making us feel special.

Cardigan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2008

The hotel building and grounds are beautiful and I only wish the weather had been better when we stayed, so that we could have explored more. The room was lovely, clean, modern and a nice size.

The only negative points were that some of the fixtures and fittings were a bit plasticky, leading to a cheap feel in some areas, such as the plastic 'leather' chairs in the bar and it seemed to be a haunt for sales reps to have meetings, which detracted a bit from the luxurious getaway feel. Oh and the restaurant menu was a bit limited (so we got a taxi to eat at the Michelin starred Mallory Court nearby, which was fantastic.)

• Liked — The beautiful building and grounds
  • Disliked — The cheap feel to some areas
2 Thank Holbert
northeast England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2008

We have just returned from spending a wonderful Christmas at Ettington Park. I can't praise this hotel enough. The location, the food, the staff nothing was too much trouble from the minute we arrived to the time we departed. The hotel is set in 40 acres of lovely countryside and is a beautiful old buiding.The bedrooms are magnificent.I could go on and on and would definately recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a relaxing break in luxurious surroundings.

• Liked — the luxury
  • Disliked — nothing
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alderminster
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Ettington Chase Hotel
Ettington Chase Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ettington
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,385 reviews

Been to Ettington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!