“Romantic Stay”

Ettington Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alderminster
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We had never stayed before, but it was like meeting up with old friends again. We were made so welcome by every one on the staff, complete with a log fire in the reception area on the snowy day we arrived. Our room was lovely - spacious and very warm. Our evening meal was just wonderful perfectly cooked and served from the best attentive staff possible. Coudn't wait to see what was for breakfast and it didn't disappoint. Can't wait for our next visit.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
GM-Ettingtonpark, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Thank you for completing your review, we so pleased to hear how much you both enjoyed your tea, hot chocolate and our home made cookies. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for stay in the future. Kind regards

Reviewed 13 February 2013

We only stayed overnight, but long enough to get a good feel of the place. Well located for Stratford and easy to get to Birmimgham and the cathedral cities along the M5. Architecturally interesting and visually very pleasing with spacious public rooms downstairs but narrow corridors and a horrible carpet upstairs. A wonderful setting for a wedding. With one glaring exception (more later) the service was professional and personable and we were made to feel we were important to them. Excellent value for money - our second handpicked hotel stay - so a good deal with champagne and canapes before dinner. The food was of a very high standard with plenty of choice. Wine was reasonably priced (I suppose!).
We chose an executive room which is a basic room with a lovely view of the grounds and ruins. Spacious with high ceilings and a decent sized bathroom. The furniture was large and the huge blanket box detracted rather than added anything to the room. Our one complaint was that breakfast took almost an hour and a half. Nearly 30 minutes to get coffee. We chose a busy time but still not good enough.
Would I recommend it? Yes, but give yourselves plenty of time in the morning.

Room Tip: Worth the extra for the view for us.
1  Thank hollySalisbury
GM-Ettingtonpark, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2013

Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I would however, like you to accept my apologies for the delay in receiving your breakfast, please let me assure you that this has been discussed with my team and we have taken the action necessary to ensure issues such as yours do not recur. I do hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again in the future. In the meantime, should you wish to discuss this with me further please do feel free to contact me. Kind regards

Reviewed 12 February 2013

As a lover of all things Gothic, this has been one of my favourite buildings since I first saw it in the original Julie Harris film The Haunting but as a hotel it has never quite done it for me. The new management however has worked wonders and the fusty 1970s decor has been stripped away; it's now like staying in a stately home belonging to your affable aunt.

I went with my husband, my daughter and my boyfriend to celebrate my wedding anniversary. Our rooms or rather suites were huge and gorgeous. The Shirley suite is bright, comfortable and atmospheric while the Shakespeare suite, though slightly less smart, looks out to the ruined chapel and is straight out of a Gothic romance.

The food is of a high London standard and good value as part of a package with champagne, canapes, dinner and breakfast; we actually paused from rowing about politics as each course arrived, not something that happens often! Breakfast was an impossible choice of delicious things.

The welcome from the receptionist, the attitude of the porters and the very impressive Maitre d' were at the peak of hotel service and we were made to feel very special without being embarrassed!

One area I think they need to tighten up on though is the service in the dining room and the lounge, which can be very erratic. 8My husband would have loved a bottle of red wine with his main course but by the time someone came back to take his order it was finished and we were ready to order pudding. The hotel had a wedding going on and I guess that put a bit of strain on staff -- that said, the wedding added to the atmosphere for us.

A porter, not the main one as it was his day off, took us round the chapel after breakfast and we felt free to explore the hotel. The function rooms are lovely.

This is a place for a fairytale wedding and a very romantic weekend -- it's also quite close to Stratford for theatre goers but make sure you leave enough time to enjoy this stunning place. I can't wait to go again!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for completing your review and are delighted to hear that you enjoyed both the Gothic architecture and the standard of service you received during your stay. We very much look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay with us. Kind regards

Reviewed 11 February 2013

We booked a two night stay - DB&B with cream tea. From the moment we arrived on the Friday afternoon to leaving Sunday afternoon we could not have been made to feel more welcome and relaxed by the fabulous staff and surroundings. Food was fantastic and the attention to detail was second to none. Did not want to leave and will definitely be returning again. The staff really made this trip, nothing was too much trouble, professional, curteous and welcoming. Ettington Park gets right what so many hotels now have forgotten and that is that the staff really do make your experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for completing your review and your lovely comments, we are so pleased to hear that you ejoyed your stay with us. We very much look forward to welcoming you back for a return stay with us in the near future. Kind regards

Reviewed 10 February 2013

I treated my partner to a surprise weekend away at Ettington Park Hotel and what a weekend it was. We arrived to a magnificent view of the grounds and a hospitable welcome from the staff who would go out of their way to help you if they could. We checked into our room which was spacious yet homely. We enjoyed a freshly made cream tea in the drawing room and attended dinner on each night of our stay. The food was truly scrumptious especially the apple and celeriac soup. The walks around the 44 acres of grounds were idyllic and set the scene for our romantic weekend away. We also used the pool facilities several times which were clean and highly maintained, making our stay even more enjoyable.
The local town offered a wide range of places dine, having a large variety of cuisines. It was also home to some historical background and offered tours illustrating its history, which could also be seen in some of the appearances of the older buildings.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would love to go back and enjoy it all again. The highlight of my weekend was that the hotel, combined with the staff and services they offered, left my partner speechless!!

Room Tip: Ask for room 35, although not as picturesque as the rest of the views, the room was quiet, quirky an...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for completing your review, we are delighted to hear just how much you both enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to welcoming you both back for a return stay. Kind regards

Reviewed 8 February 2013

I booked a two night stay - dinner, bed and breakfast - as part of my husband's birthday present and a break from the usual daily grind. I could not have asked for more. The beautiful surroundings, outstanding architecture, and the friendly, professionalism of all the staff made our stay a first-class break.
We had the pool area to ourselves each afternoon, which I assume was a bonus of staying out of season, the room was spotless and the meal choices were more than enough for us.
We were greeted by all staff by our name, and there was always someone on hand to answer questions and give help with a history of the building. Although we did not encounter the ghosts, the building was a joy to explore.
Although I am fully aware that the staff could be pushed to the limit during a busy season, we cannot praise enough the individual service which we received, even given the conferences and family bookings which were happening during our stay. Extra praise must go to the lovely man who looked after us in the restaurant at dinner and breakfast, who's quietly spoken attention to detail made us feel very special.
In all, I would stay here again without a moment's hesitation.

Room Tip: We had an executive room, but if you can afford it, push the boat out and book a suite.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made, we are so pleased to hear just how much you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay. Kind regards

Reviewed 4 February 2013

We selected Ettington Park to celebrate my Dads 70th birthday. The package we selected included cream tea , evening dinner and breakfast seemed at time of booking as very good value for money. The experience was simply fantastic , great rooms , historic building (no ghosts) and service that was simply excellent. Having stayed in some great hotels over the years with my business this stay was right up there with the best. Congratulations to the management for building a great team , very attentive with a service culture rarely found in the uk. We will be back in a couple of years for my Mums 70th. Well done to you all at Ettington Park. Oh and one other tip , Sunday lunch at the Bell in Alderminster is a must !

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
GM-Ettingtonpark, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2013

Thank you for completing your review and for your lovely comments which have been shared with my team. We very much look forward to welcoming you back for a return stay. Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alderminster
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
#2 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
The White Swan Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
#3 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Ettington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!