“Lovely Hotel with Friendly Staff”

Ettington Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alderminster
Nottingham
“Lovely Hotel with Friendly Staff”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We have just come home after a 2 night stay at this lovely Handpicked hotel. It was our wedding anniversary which we hadn't made the staff aware of beforehand. When we were taken to our room by Damon from Reception he asked if we were here for a special occasion and my wife just mentioned our anniversary. We had pre-booked dinner in the restaurant that evening which was part of the cost of our room and when our desserts came, my wife's lovely baked meringue was presented on a slate with "Happy Anniversary" piped across. This was a really nice touch so thank you to Damon for passing this information on.
Our executive room (40) was very spacious - on two floors with everything you would expect (even 2 tv's!).
This is our 3rd Handpicked hotel (having stayed at Woodhall Spa and New Hall) and we are finding them all to be individual but offering the same high level of service. Thank you again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
GM-Ettingtonpark, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, I will ensure your comments are shared with my team. We very much look forward to welcoming you back for a return stay with us. Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Having stayed at Woodhouse Spar earlier in the year I was looking forward to my stay at Ettington Park. I would agree with the earlier review about housekeeping my room had a few dead wasps on the carpet, a hair in the bath and a cobweb with spider in the bathroom. The shower had a drip and the shower hose was split and leaked water. We were in the annex and the room was a good size nice touch with fresh milk in the fridge. The let down was the food. We had a voucher for a package of dinner, bed and breakfast so thankfully I did not have to pay for it. The set menu at dinner did not have much choice and there was no vegetarian option. We both had a seafood cocktail starter followed by fish. When we were seated we were offered a bread roll from a basket that had been on a table near the door. My husband asked if they were warm and the waitress said 'of course they are'. They were stone cold and a bit hard. In comparison at Woodhouse Spar we were served three hot rolls each on a slate plate with a different butter for each roll - no competition really! Our wine was brought to the table and then our starter which was a prawn cocktail that was not very big and that I felt I could have made myself. We finished our starters and still the wine had not been opened. Eventually the waitress came to the table and said she could not find a corkscrew. We tried the wine it was okay but not worth £23 a bottle. The fun part was when our main course arrived there was a small piece of fish on top of half a carrot cut into batons with 5 green beans. There were three small new potatoes cut in half and placed around the outside of the plate. We could not taste the cream and wine sauce as there wasso little of it dribbled on the plate. Again I could make this myself it was nothing special. For dessert I ordered poached peaches and my husband lemon tart. When it was served I said to the waitress that the order was wrong as my husband had ordered a lemon tart. She just replied 'it is citrus' put the plate down and went. It obviously was not citrus it was dark chocolate but we could not be bothered by then to call her back. The desserts were the best part of the meal. The meal we had at Woodhouse Spa was of very high quality and there was a good amount of food on the plate that you were not hungry afterwards. It was food that I would not be able to cook, the choice was good and it was special. The service was also very good as soon as our glasses were nearly empty the waiting staff noticed and came straight over and re-filled them. At Ettington Park we just served ourselves which was not a problem. I was also disappointed with breakfast instead of being served tea in a pot and coffee in a cafetiere it was served by the cup so you had to asked for more. My husband ordered the full breakfast and parts of it had obviously been cooked and reheated. The bacon did not look fresh and one piece was inedible it was a very odd colour. The sausage as well did not look or taste freshly cooked and the fried bread was very small and so hard he could not cut it so left it. I had smoked haddock with poached eggs and it was okay, it was not served with a sauce. The eggs were quite hard boiled as I had not been asked how I wanted them but apart from that the fish was tasty. I did not think it was the experience was worth what it would have cost or what would be expected of a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 46Valentino
GM-Ettingtonpark, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made. Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced with regard to your room and food. Please let me assure you that we do indeed take your comments very seriously and as such I have addressed these with my team to ensure issues such as these do not recur. I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention, and should you wish to discuss this further please do feel free to contact me jbowler@handpicked.co.uk.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stayed here on a business trip on 12 September. This is a lovely old building in a beautiful location. The room was really good with a very large and well appointed bathroom. The service and food were of excellent quality.

We made use of the tennis courts, and there were other facilities such as pool, sauna etc which looked really nice, but I didn't have time to use them unfortunately.

This was a business trip, and it ticked all the boxes. I hope to return in a family/leisure capacity as it is a super place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Chris T
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made, I am so pleased you found time to make use of the tennis courts and when you return with your family I do hope you find the time to use the pool. We very much look forward to welcoming you back. Kind regards
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

just got back from short break at this hotel, and had really relaxing and thoroughly spoilt time.
I told them in advance my wife is a coeliac(no wheat/gluten) and found all meals had on evening menu had plenty of variety and could b adapted for her. the afternoon cream tea we had on 2nd day included gluten free scones which my wife described as best she has eaten in over 12 years of having this allergy. all meals, both hers and mine were delicious and nothing was too much trouble for the staff.

Room Tip: room 27 on top floor of garden wing has very big bathroom with separate shower cubicle and a window...
1 Thank colin h
Thank you for completing your review the comments you have made, we are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do look forward to welcoming you back for a return stay with us. Kind regards
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Recently stayed at Ettington Park Hotel Tues 3rd Sept 13 for 1 night with my husband we had a wonderful stay, food very nice, staff polite and helpful and Hotel and grounds are beautiful, very relaxing over night stay, look forward to returning.

Room Tip: We stayed in a classic double on the 1st floor which was a beautiful spacious room, we have stayed o...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards
Rossendale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night break at Ettington Park. Our room was a classic double (room 20) in the garden annex. First impressions of the room appeared ok, until my husband plugged his phone into the socket behind the bedside table. We discovered cobwebs, thick dust and a dead insect on the carpet. When we checked behind the bedside table at the other side of the bed, we found more cobwebs, complete with spider, and more thick dust. We rang reception, someone came to look, and offered to clean the room, but we asked to move to another room. I asked to speak to the manager, a gentleman called Pawel came to speak to us, and when my husband showed him a photo which he had taken on his phone, he didn't seem to be interested. He tried to tell us that it was because the building was very old! Eventually, after we persisted with our complaints, we were offered the room next door (21), which was a little better, however, when I decided to have a bath, I saw that the overflow plughole was absolutely filthy, and I had to clean it myself with some wet wipes. I asked for a complimentary meal as compensation, but instead we were given a cream tea, and an inexpensive bottle of champagne. On the plus side, breakfast was excellent and the pool is very nice. To summarise, I feel that the housekeeping side of things needs to be addressed. Very disappointing experience, and some staff not very helpful. Would not stay here again.

1 Thank susan c
GM-Ettingtonpark, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made. Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings all of which have been fully addressed with my team and actions taken where needed. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and the pool facilities. Please let me assure you that we do indeed take comments such as yours very seriously indeed and as you are aware I have made contact with you. Should you wish to discuss this with me further please do feel free to contact me. Kind regards
Trstenik, Croatia
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed here for one night mid-week whilst on business nearby, booking a classic room.

The room was a reasonable size, with a good amount of storage space (wardrobe and drawers) and a decent-sized bed that was comfortable and aided a good night's sleep. There was a large LCD TV (I'm guessing 32") although the selection of channels wasn't that wide.

The bathroom was a good size, well-lit and with a shaving mirror. The shower was over the bath (which being very tall usually makes it difficult to be able to actually get under it) but it was set a good height above the floor of the bath so no stooping down was required. The water pressure & temperature were both fine.

The room was relatively modern although I would have expected a slightly higher specification, e.g. an iPod/USB docking station to be able to charge devices & stream music. Having said that, this was a 'standard' grade room and the higher priced Executive rooms may be more aligned with business guests. I booked at short notice and had to take what was available.

As I had arrived mid-evening after a long day's work, I didn't feel like a big meal in the restaurant and so ordered a sandwich from room service. It was very tasty but I felt a little expensive for what it was.

I did intend to use the hotel's swimming pool in the morning but was somewhat put off by being given a health & safety form to complete when I checked-in. Many of the hotels that I stay in have a pool (it's always a nice luxury to be able to go for a swim first thing in the morning) but I've never been asked to complete a questionnaire before being to use it.

The room was £135 including breakfast, which represents very good value given that the Hilton/Holiday Inn can be around the same cost per night and don't have any of the character of Ettington Park.

Overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
GM-Ettingtonpark, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you for your review and the comments you have made, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do hope to welcome you back for a future stay with us. Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alderminster
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
#1 of 1 in Ettington
Stratford Limes Hotel
Stratford Limes Hotel
#1 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Ettington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!